Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The 717s are going to start slowly phasing out as well. MSP is loosing its 717 base and the internal pilot memo said they were only planning on using 35-40 of them next Summer and the rest will be "parked." I'd assume they will all be gone by May of 2022 which was the deadline the FAA gave DL to replace the seats on these planes back in 2017.
I'm actually surprised the 717s are going as well. They don't have many A220s and I thought that they'd need some more mainline planes with fewer seats than the A319 but more than a E75 while travel demand remains depressed for the foreseeable future.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
I'm actually surprised the 717s are going as well. They don't have many A220s and I thought that they'd need some more mainline planes with fewer seats than the A319 but more than a E75 while travel demand remains depressed for the foreseeable future.
I assume that's the reason that they haven't been parked already!!

But, in the era of social distancing, small planes have a serious drawback if you need to block off half the seats
Old May 17, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Adding a datapoint to the Operational Impact Thread that is very similar to the "cancelled and stranded" thread also on the DL forum. Today I received notice that my flight from TLH-ATL for this upcoming Wednesday (3 days away) was cancelled. I had been expecting this as over the past two weeks, on the majority of days, one of the now only two daily TLH-ATL flights cancelled. I had already researched backup plans and since my ultimate destination is ANC (requiring a double connect in ATL and SEA), my options were either to push DL to rebook me on the early morning flight out of TLH creating an 8 hour+ connection in ATL or push DL to rebook me out of ECP (about 75 miles away) at roughly my original scheduled time.

The app did not offer the early morning option, but did allow me to successfully rebook out of the alternate airport, ECP. (Sort of ironic as ECP is my preferred airport in normal times, but due to the schedules I was unable to book an inbound to ECP without an overnight when I made this reservation, so had to settle for TLH). The trip was successfully updated. I did call the PM line to inquire if it was "normal" that the e-ticket number stayed the same, and they assured me everything processed ok and the e-ticket did not need to be reissued. (Will see when I go to check-in in a few days).

Anyway, my point is this: Airports such as TLH have been reduced to only regional carriers (Endeavour in this case). ECP, while having reduced flights, has stayed mainline. If at all possible, when booking a trip over the next few months, one might want to avoid a regional carrier. Some airports this will be unavoidable, but it appears mainline flights have a better chance of operating. The PM line agent mentioned this today that there are many strategic regional cancellations daily. Just wanted to throw this out there to hopefully help someone avoid an unpleasant surprise. I had been anticipating this as a possibility so it was relatively painless to rebook. And also quite happy my car rental company allowed me to change the return location with no fee.

Last edited by GagaPilot; May 17, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Old May 18, 2020, 9:54 am

DL June international service

https://news.delta.com/where-delta-flying-june

Looks like a nice increase compared to what was offered in May.

CANADA​
  • Detroit to Montreal (daily)
  • Detroit to Ottawa (daily)
  • Detroit to Toronto (daily)
  • Minneapolis to Calgary (daily)
  • Minneapolis to Edmonton (daily)
  • Minneapolis to Winnipeg (daily)
  • New York-JFK to Toronto (daily)
  • Seattle to Vancouver (daily)
LATIN AMERICA & CARIBBEAN

Caribbean
  • Atlanta to Aruba (less than daily service restarts in second half of June)
  • Atlanta to Bermuda (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to Bonaire (Saturday only service restarts in second half of June)
  • Atlanta to Kingston, Jamaica (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to Montego Bay, Jamaica (daily)
  • Atlanta to Nassau, Bahamas (daily)
  • Atlanta to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to San Juan, Puerto Rico (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to St. Croix (Saturday only)
  • Atlanta to St. Lucia (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to St. Maarten (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to St. Thomas (less than daily)
  • New York-JFK to Santiago, Dominican Republic (less than daily)
  • New York-JFK to San Juan, Puerto Rico (less than daily)
  • New York-JFK to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (less than daily)​
Central America
  • Atlanta to Liberia, Costa Rica (less than daily service restarts in second half of June)
  • Atlanta to Panama City, Panama (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to San José, Costa Rica (less than daily service restarts in second half of June)
  • Atlanta to San Pedro Sula, Honduras (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to San Salvador, El Salvador (less than daily)​
Mexico
  • Atlanta to Cancun (daily)
  • Atlanta to Mexico City (daily)
  • Detroit to Mexico City (less than daily)
  • Los Angeles to Los Cabos (less than daily)
  • Los Angeles to Puerto Vallarta (less than daily)
  • Salt Lake City to Mexico City (daily)​
South America​
  • Atlanta to Bogotá, Colombia (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to Săo Paulo, Brazil (less than daily)
TRANS-ATLANTIC
  • Atlanta to Amsterdam (daily)
  • Atlanta to Frankfurt (less than daily)
  • Atlanta to Lagos (less than daily*)
  • Atlanta to Paris-Charles De Gaulle (less than daily)
  • Detroit to Amsterdam (daily)
  • Detroit to London-Heathrow (less than daily)
  • New York-JFK to Amsterdam (less than daily)
  • New York-JFK to Paris-Charles De Gaulle (less than daily)
  • New York-JFK to Tel Aviv (less than daily)​
*Delta's restart of service to Nigeria is subject to foreign government approval.

Delta's Frankfurt and London flights also double as scheduled cargo service. Learn more.

TRANS-PACIFIC
  • Detroit to Seoul-Incheon (daily)
  • Detroit to Shanghai (daily*)
  • Seattle to Seoul-Incheon (less than daily)
  • Seattle to Shanghai (daily*)
  • ​Seattle to Tokyo-Haneda (less than daily)
(Interesting: DTW-HND is suspended)

*Delta's restart of passenger flights to China is subject to government approval. We will also operate cargo-only scheduled service from Shanghai to Atlanta and Los Angeles. Read more on our cargo flights to Asia.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
@abc2013
Thanks a bunch!
Old May 18, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Just looking at my frequent cities, it's pretty clear that Delta is either a step ahead as they've often been, or they've panicked and ceded too much market share.

For example at BTR:

AA: 3x DFW, 2x CLT
UA: 2x IAH
DL: 1x ATL

Both models can't be right. Either AA/UA are rocketing toward Chapter 11, or Delta has destroyed their ability to operate as an effective means of travel.

I still can't find Y tickets for many dates in June for CVG-LAX, and I'm not paying cash/miles for Delta's current "First Class" product.

IMO it probably makes business sense for Delta to cease being an airline at this point, but it would be nice if they would drop the pretense (but wait, that would mean missing out on that sweet taxpayer funded bailout).
Old May 18, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Just looking at my frequent cities, it's pretty clear that Delta is either a step ahead as they've often been, or they've panicked and ceded too much market share.

For example at BTR:

AA: 3x DFW, 2x CLT
UA: 2x IAH
DL: 1x ATL

Both models can't be right. Either AA/UA are rocketing toward Chapter 11, or Delta has destroyed their ability to operate as an effective means of travel.

I still can't find Y tickets for many dates in June for CVG-LAX, and I'm not paying cash/miles for Delta's current "First Class" product.

IMO it probably makes business sense for Delta to cease being an airline at this point, but it would be nice if they would drop the pretense (but wait, that would mean missing out on that sweet taxpayer funded bailout).
I think the July schedule will be better than the June schedule. I know someone who works for DL at MCO and they were told that the tentative plan for July is to add back 9 more flights from the June schedule. I just looked at the June schedule and MCO has 8 flights so it sounds like in July the plan is for 17 flights, about a 50% increase. Obviously we won’t know for sure until the July schedule is officially out, but it sounds like they are prepared to add back more flights than what was added in June. (For comparison, only 3 flights at MCO were added for June from May)
Old May 18, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Interesting that I just tried a booking LAX-CUN on dl.com for end of August, defaulted to Basic Economy and error said not enough seats, tried FC, and said no flight available, but AeroMexico will sell me the ticket in F and shows the non-stop from LAX... I'm trying to book out some trips (cautiously optimistic), but they're not making it easy or cheap...
Old May 18, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wonder if some of this will give DL an opportunity to right-size. They need to pull out of MSP in my opinion. You don't need MSP and DTW both as hubs. Any obligation to Minneapolis is paid. They are exiting their base at CVG. Look at where they have been building up operations, Minneapolis and Detroit both don't fit in with that profile, particularly as they wish to become a more premium airline.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wonder if some of this will give DL an opportunity to right-size. They need to pull out of MSP in my opinion. You don't need MSP and DTW both as hubs. Any obligation to Minneapolis is paid. They are exiting their base at CVG. Look at where they have been building up operations, Minneapolis and Detroit both don't fit in with that profile, particularly as they wish to become a more premium airline.
MSP is an extremely profitable station. They used an early HND slot on it after all. Slashing DTW would probably make more sense if they had to drop a current hub. IMO they can keep both, but turning DTW into an O/D operation with Asia service could be a good idea.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Based on what? Both DTW and MSP are very profitable (though recently MSP less so than DTW). Just because DL has hubs in low-profile cities like Minneapolis or Detroit doesn't mean that those hubs don't support their business goal of achieving profits. I'd argue that DL's (usually) profitable operations in their core fortress hubs enable DL to invest in their coastal operations that are less (or not) profitable.
koreanair720 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:11 pm

DL June international service

TRANS-PACIFIC
  • Detroit to Seoul-Incheon (daily)
  • Detroit to Shanghai (daily*)
  • Seattle to Seoul-Incheon (less than daily)
  • Seattle to Shanghai (daily*)
  • ​Seattle to Tokyo-Haneda (less than daily)

*Delta's restart of passenger flights to China is subject to government approval. We will also operate cargo-only scheduled service from Shanghai to Atlanta and Los Angeles. Read more on our cargo flights to Asia.
These Shanghai flights are absolutely not happening. Xiamen Airlines and China Southern have already schedule adjusted to one flight per week in June, and the rest will follow. The CCP appears again to not be approving any international daily flights for June, or even 2x a week. Hope Delta quickly comes around and corrects their schedule for the beginning of June, so I can make changes needed before time runs out.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
(Interesting: DTW-HND is suspended)
I assume this is due to the Japanese government's entry ban on travelers from the United States. Once the ban is lifted I would expect Delta to phase back in its HND service beyond Seattle.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I think the July schedule will be better than the June schedule. I know someone who works for DL at MCO and they were told that the tentative plan for July is to add back 9 more flights from the June schedule. I just looked at the June schedule and MCO has 8 flights so it sounds like in July the plan is for 17 flights, about a 50% increase. Obviously we won’t know for sure until the July schedule is officially out, but it sounds like they are prepared to add back more flights than what was added in June. (For comparison, only 3 flights at MCO were added for June from May)
The June domestic schedule had also been largely untouched until a week and a half ago. There's probably no point in trying to read anything from the current July domestic schedule as it's mostly simply what they had in place pre-Covid. The July cuts will likely come out the second weekend in June when they will have a better idea of how traffic is shaping up for the month.
Old May 19, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
MSP is an extremely profitable station. They used an early HND slot on it after all. Slashing DTW would probably make more sense if they had to drop a current hub. IMO they can keep both, but turning DTW into an O/D operation with Asia service could be a good idea.
Not to mention, DTW maybe not, but I would count MSP as a "premium" destination. It's one of the wealthiest metro areas in the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.