Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does paid intl upgrade change further upgrade eligibility?

Old Jan 23, 20, 7:42 am
Original Poster

First of all, in case this has come up already & been answered - my apologies.

Anyway, I'm flying DTW-FRA in V as a Gold Medallion Member on Feb02. According to my booking details on Delta's website I'm eligible to an elite status upgrade to C+, but I'm not eligible to a Delta One upgrade (because of my V ticket I assume). My question is if I pay for an upgrade to C+ ($149 per leg), will this have an effect on my eligibility to be upgraded to Delta One?
It may be irrelevant, but according to the seat map the flight is not even half full, there are 12 Delta One seats available for purchase (for a ridiculous $4841!) and 5 C+ seats.
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:41 am
Suspended

doesnt seem too ridiculous for a cash upgrade to D1.
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:44 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by omxfl View Post
First of all, in case this has come up already & been answered - my apologies.

Anyway, I'm flying DTW-FRA in V as a Gold Medallion Member on Feb02. According to my booking details on Delta's website I'm eligible to an elite status upgrade to C+, but I'm not eligible to a Delta One upgrade (because of my V ticket I assume). My question is if I pay for an upgrade to C+ ($149 per leg), will this have an effect on my eligibility to be upgraded to Delta One?
It may be irrelevant, but according to the seat map the flight is not even half full, there are 12 Delta One seats available for purchase (for a ridiculous $4841!) and 5 C+ seats.
Welcome to FT!

No, the C+ upgrade wont change anything for your D1 upgrade eligibility. There are no complementary upgrades to D1 for any medallion level on any fare class. Only way to upgrade is cash, miles (if on the correct fare class), or Global Upgrade Certificates if you are a Diamond Medallion.
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:45 am
TTT

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
That seems like quite a bit for what is a rather short international flight.
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you, TTT! Much appreciated.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:03 am

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
That seems like quite a bit for what is a rather short international flight.
A lot of dollars yes, but it's market rate for OP's itinerary, so revenue management must be confident they will sell that seat for that number, or they would price it lower. Less than 2 weeks out, it's not out of line to have TATL D1 price around 9-10k, especially if less than a 7-day trip.

Best hope for OP is an oversold Y cabin and a DoD offer to D1.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
One-way???
That said, the current r/t fare for Feb 2, returning a week later on the nonstop is $10,347. Half that is $5,174 which is $332 more than the OPs upgrade offer, and it's conceivable the OP is on a ~$700 r/t coach ticket.
So the buy-up price makes sense in the context of the current fares, but that doesn't mean it's not ridiculous! (Especially since usually upgrade offers are not usually dynamically based on pure fare differentials IME.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:17 am
TTT

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 View Post
A lot of dollars yes, but it's market rate for OP's itinerary, so revenue management must be confident they will sell that seat for that number, or they would price it lower. Less than 2 weeks out, it's not out of line to have TATL D1 price around 9-10k, especially if less than a 7-day trip.

Best hope for OP is an oversold Y cabin and a DoD offer to D1.
Agreed - people will pay it for sure and I'm happy for those who choose to! I'll stick with my $2000/rt J ticket to Singapore
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Agreed - people will pay it for sure and I'm happy for those who choose to! I'll stick with my $2000/rt J ticket to Singapore
which is an awesome fare......
Unless of course you have to be in FRA like the OP
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:46 am
TTT

Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
which is an awesome fare......
Unless of course you have to be in FRA like the OP
haha - touche.

But, a quick look has a SIN-FRA fare for next week at $3800 in J. So you could do DTW-LAX-PVG-SIN-FRA for about $6000 (or $4000 less than what Delta is asking). Of course, this assumes that one doesn't value their time at all.
Old Jan 23, 20, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I'd think twice about any unnecessary connections through mainland China right now, even if you're not touching Wuhan. It would not be fun to be quarantined there.
Old Jan 23, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, HHG, MG
I would save the cash for the C+ upgrade if you can get a exit row seat, service/food/drinks going to be identical. 22H shows open on Feb 2 and C+ seats available are all center middle seats. Odds are that with how empty the plane looks right now you might get an empty seat beside you in the regular preferred seats.
Old Jan 23, 20, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Personally, I'd think twice about any unnecessary connections through mainland China right now, even if you're not touching Wuhan. It would not be fun to be quarantined there.
I can think of several other reasons not to transit (or visit) China as well, but don't want to get political.
MSPeconomist and namekyd like this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Just as an update, a little over two days before departure:
As Gold Medallion member I got an automatic upgrade to C+ on both the US & INTL routes. There are two seats left in First Class on the domestic route and I'm still on the list for a potential upgrade - not that I care on a short flight. But it still bugs me that the GM benefits state the clearance start three days before departure. Maybe I get it on the day...
But my INTL upgrade means - at least right now - that I will have someone next to me. Hence, if the flight won't fill up, I guess I'll talk to the desk agent to change my seat again to an empty row. At 6'1" I would appreciate some extra legroom, but not having someone next to you would be the better of the two benefits.
Old Jan 31, 20, 10:42 am

I wouldn't rely on the seatmap to tell how full a flight is. There are frequently many passengers on international flights who don't get a seat assigned until check-in. You can self-downgrade back to main cabin on the website after being upgraded to C+. I've done this several times as, like you, I prefer an aisle seat in the center row (preferably with no one next to me in one of the middle seats) to a C+ seat with someone next to me. But I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting a row to yourself.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: