Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ Should Be More Like European Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

As the title says I was thinking that DL is missing out on a revenue stream to have C+ (or even a portion of it) be like European business where the only difference is the middle seat is not used.

honestly this could even be a few rows in regular Y, but a lot of people like me could care less about leg room and would rather be able to stretch to the left and right better.

just curious of others thoughts on this and if anybody else is like me on their preferences?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:38 am

you can already buy two seats
ijgordon, bubbashow and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would like it, but the CSM to Delta would be much higher than increased legroom (50% per pax, which would be equivalent to normal C+ with 45" pitch). And what I really want is that seat width with a few extra inches of legroom, which is already a product they offer
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
There’s really not a lot of incentive for Delta to do this, since there seems to be plenty of demand for C+ seating, even in the middle seats. The extra cost for a blocked middle would be unlikely to compete with half an entire ticket - certainly, if they did this, it would spell the end of complimentary C+ for elites.

Note that eurobusiness does actually come with Comfort+ level legroom on almost all carriers that have implemented it. Even when the divider moves, the first ~9 rows or so of the plane are typically spaced out a few extra inches.

Careful what you wish for - we will probably someday see domestic F cabins replaced entirely by a eurobusiness style product, first appearing on a dense 737 configuration used for flights under 2 hours on the east coast and then spreading within a few years networkwide. I sure hope I’m wrong, but the first class cabin is the part of the domestic product most ripe for “value engineering” in an economic downturn...

What I would love to see is a selective seat blocking tool similar to what LH offers - on relatively empty flights, their booking system blocks seats adjacent to top tier elites unless the plane fills up to the point where they are needed. Delta flights are full enough that we wouldn’t see it used much, but it would make a huge difference on economy long hauls that aren’t too full...
LowValueCustomer and ryw like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I would like to see European Business (intra-Europe) be more like US domestic first class.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I would like to see European Business (intra-Europe) be more like US domestic first class.
Yes! Just about to post the same.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Please no -- European business is a Y- product with an empty middle saet.

Give me someone in the middle seat but with the extra legroom over the BS that is European business any day of the week.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An empty middle seat means 2-2 seating rather than 3-3 on a standard mainline single-aisle domestic aircraft. That is 50% fewer seats. Are you prepared to pay that much more when you can likely purchase F for less than that premium?

I'm trying to think of something less likely to happen, but can't right now.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Please no -- European business is a Y- product with an empty middle saet.

Give me someone in the middle seat but with the extra legroom over the BS that is European business any day of the week.
On RJs, there is not even an empty middle seat
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by vincentharris
anybody else is like me on their preferences?
No. Give me the leg room.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
A risky move IMO. It could cannibalise F sales if C+ is differentiated further from regular economy. Plus it may be the thin end of the wedge re. the demise of a proper F cabin.

Many of us over here in Europe might like a ‘rest of world’ style intra-Europe business class, but I would bet my shirt on it not happening. Like them or loath them, scaleable J cabins work in Europe.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Often1
An empty middle seat means 2-2 seating rather than 3-3 on a standard mainline single-aisle domestic aircraft. That is 50% fewer seats. Are you prepared to pay that much more when you can likely purchase F for less than that premium?

I'm trying to think of something less likely to happen, but can't right now.
33% but the point remains. Less seats to sell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.