DL-marketed G fare on KL

Old Jan 21, 20, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
DL-marketed G fare on KL

I have an upcoming booking NCE-AMS-DTW-DCA, all on DL-coded flights, with the first leg operated by KLM. The transatlantic flight is premium select, and Delta shows my reservation as "First Class (G)" on the NCE-AMS leg, Premium Select (G) on the AMS-DTW leg, and Comfort+ (W) on the DTW-DCA leg.
KLM, on the other hand, has me in regular economy, asking me to pay to upgrade to Economy Comfort or an exit row. Obviously, there's no "First Class" on KLM, but is it correct that G just maps to generic economy? Known glitch with Delta?
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:19 pm

Well, there's no separate booking class for Economy Comfort on KL (unlike DL who has them for C+) and they don't have PE fares like DL as they don't have PE cabins. So they can only really map the fare into the Euro Business class or Coach and apparently they are mapping it to coach.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Well, there's no separate booking class for Economy Comfort on KL (unlike DL who has them for C+) and they don't have PE fares like DL as they don't have PE cabins. So they can only really map the fare into the Euro Business class or Coach and apparently they are mapping it to coach.
Right, I agree that is what they are doing, but I'm confirming that it's a glitch on Delta's end to display as "First Class", not a glitch on KLM's end.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Right, I agree that is what they are doing, but I'm confirming that it's a glitch on Delta's end to display as "First Class", not a glitch on KLM's end.
Yes, that would look to be a glitch. DL used to use P/A/G booking classes for domestic FC fares before converting those fares to J/C/D/I/Z classes (leaving P/A/G only for PE fares). I'm guessing it might be a hangover from those days.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This OP managed to get DL to rebook them in KL Business, so maybe worth a shot? If nothing else will get them to fix this bug.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark View Post
This OP managed to get DL to rebook them in KL Business, so maybe worth a shot? If nothing else will get them to fix this bug.
Thanks; couldn't find an earlier thread via searching. Funny that it was also an NCE-AMS flight.
I'll ask but won't expect much. In the meantime, I found this link showing how the fares should map out across segments that might be helpful to others in the future : https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...are-produ.html
Old Jan 22, 20, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Update: Spent an hour on the phone, was told it was my fault because I bought a codeshare and not every airline has the same codes. So, um, thanks.
Old Jan 22, 20, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Update: Spent an hour on the phone, was told it was my fault because I bought a codeshare and not every airline has the same codes. So, um, thanks.
What awful service. I had something that wasn't my fault get thrown in my face by them after an hour wasted, too.

Please, please, please, please file a DOT complaint against DL. Screenshot it showing First Class (G) and say you can't even select a seat without a fee. Throw it in their faces so they are held accountable for this incompetence.

And, if you got the name of the person who said it was your fault on the phone, throw that in the DOT complaint too.
AviationFreak likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:43 pm

Programs: Float between DL Gold and DL Platinum; "alum" of consistent mid-high tier status on UA
SImilar situation as OP

I bought a ticket today in "Premium Select", SEA-MSP-AMS-KBP. SEA-MSP in DL Comfort +, MSP-AMS in DL Premium Select, and then it is a bit of a mystery what I have from AMS-KBP (on KLM metal but a DL flight number). If I look at "my trips" on Delta, it is listed as "First Class". But the seat map is not letting me choose anything in F. I don't much care as intra-European "first" is nothing special, but I am curious as to what I have. Fare codes are W for SEA-MSP, G for MSP-AMS, and G for AMS-KBP.

I am not a studious follower of MQM rules, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Premium Select earns a 50% bonus on MQMs, same as DL One, even though the fare on Premium Select is far, far less.

By the way, will Delta ever introduce Premium Select on SEA-CDG or SEA-AMS flights? If yes, what's with the delay as we're now, what, two years into the introduction of Premium Select? If not, why not? I am connecting in MSP on this itinerary pretty much for the sole reason of wanting to try it out.
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PP
My advice is to not get worked up about it and move on. Euro business is just a regular coach seat at the front of the plane with the middle seat blocked out and a crappy meal. And it's a short flight.
Old Jan 24, 20, 7:29 am

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Originally Posted by andrewk829 View Post

By the way, will Delta ever introduce Premium Select on SEA-CDG or SEA-AMS flights? If yes, what's with the delay as we're now, what, two years into the introduction of Premium Select? If not, why not? I am connecting in MSP on this itinerary pretty much for the sole reason of wanting to try it out.
Eventually yes, but converting all wide bodies takes time. 764s are in progress, A330s (legacy frames - NEOs comes with PS from the factory) will get PS as well as most 763 (I believe there are a few frames that will not be converted but simply retired due to age). Stated timetable is "by 2021", and I read that as by 12/31/21 (at the earliest) for a full PS conversion of all types.
Old Jan 24, 20, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
My advice is to not get worked up about it and move on. Euro business is just a regular coach seat at the front of the plane with the middle seat blocked out and a crappy meal. And it's a short flight.
Yeah I don't plan on pursuing it any further and my main regret was wasting an hour on the phone.
rucksack likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 8:27 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
I'd reconsider letting it ride and push this with DL and/or DOT. Delta has a responsibility to manage their codeshare relationships and appropriately display what you are purchasing. The overwhelming percentage of consumers of DL codeshares are not on these boards and believe they are purchasing a seat in F, even if the seat in F on those flights isn't much to get excited about. DL needs to take the responsibility to seat you in the cabin they are selling you, or fix their tech issues.
Old Jan 25, 20, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
I'd reconsider letting it ride and push this with DL and/or DOT. Delta has a responsibility to manage their codeshare relationships and appropriately display what you are purchasing. The overwhelming percentage of consumers of DL codeshares are not on these boards and believe they are purchasing a seat in F, even if the seat in F on those flights isn't much to get excited about. DL needs to take the responsibility to seat you in the cabin they are selling you, or fix their tech issues.
Flight is not until September so maybe. Unfortunately in my dozen or so years as a Delta medallion, it was the rudest most upsetting conversation I ever had with a Delta employee.
Old Jan 25, 20, 2:39 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Similar report from last month: Delta.com says "First Class" but Delta now says "economy"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: