Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

KLM or AF as a Plat Medallion LAX - MAD?

Old Jan 21, 20, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Hi all - I've done a ton of searching and could have likely missed the answer but looking for some input.

My wife and I (both Platinum) have a wedding to attend in Madrid in September and would like to use this as an opportunity to stock up on MQMs but also at least have Comfort+ level seating so we're not miserable.

My experience is that DL C+ international is lackluster so perhaps AF or KLM would be a better experience?

So my question:

1. Would we be better suited on KLM or AF if we're looking to earn max MQM while still being relatively comfortable on the flight?

Pls keep in mind we won't be able to afford booking into biz/first.

TIA
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:18 am

Only AF has a true Premium Economy. KL has Economy Comfort which is like DL's Comfort+ and just a regular coach seat with a bit more legroom and recline. Although the recline on KL's Economy Comfort is greater than DL's Comfort+ (4 inches additional recline vs. 2 inches on DL). The nominal coach recline is about 4 inches. DL flies a section on LAX-CDG with a 777 (DL118) which has a true Premium Economy (DL Premium Select). AF PE fare earn (W/S/A fares) on route is around 3800 MQDs (12660*.3) roundtrip and around 18,990 miles with 50% class of service bonus (does not include any status based bonuses). Status bonus for Plat's is about 10,128 miles (80% of base).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 20 at 10:28 am
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
A few things to consider:

1) AMS Is a more pleasant connecting experience than CDG if that is important to you.
2) As mentioned above, KL and AF are not really comparable for "premium economy" because they are very different hard products. Of the two I would choose AF PE every day.
3) If you fly AF in PE, avoid the A380, the cabin is not very nice.
4) Spain is often a good value for business fares...if you be patient, you might be able to get one seat on cash and one on miles for the same "price" as two PE or coach tickets.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
4) Spain is often a good value for business fares...if you be patient, you might be able to get one seat on cash and one on miles for the same "price" as two PE or coach tickets.
Very interesting. Thank you
Marijn77 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ajanderson11 View Post
Very interesting. Thank you
Sweet spot for J to MAD is August and is available from LAX for as low as $2100 roundtrip on Skyteam. Unfortunately, September is currently considerably higher. Avianca looks to have low fares through BOG (as low as $1900), but probably not what you are looking for.

Old Jan 21, 20, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Will keep looking.

I assume that, unlike booking on KL, I would be unable to book a normal economy fare and select PE seating as a PM on AF?
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:07 am

I assume that, unlike booking on KL, I would be unable to book a normal economy fare and select PE seating as a PM on AF?
No you will not. PE seats on AF are a completely different fare product and there are no complimentary upgrades for Skyteam elites. Same thing for the Delta Premium Select cabin. AF PE fares look to be available from around $1300 roundtrip in September. Coach fares can be as low as around $600 roundtrip.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 20 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
You also canít select PE on KLM. The seats you get as PM or KLM are the same extra legroom style seats as C+.

In addition be aware that AF and KLM both have 3-4-3 in Y on the 777 where DL is 3-3-3
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO AF through CDG is more of a risk for strikes than a connection to KLM at AMS.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Plat.
Most people agree the AMS is a better airport to connect at. Though with a long enough layover, CDG is doable. The main advantage to CDG would be the option of a true Premium Economy product to chose from between DL and AF. KLM Y+ won't be a whole lot different than DL C+ and there's no MQM bonus. Premium Select on DL gets a 50% MQM bonus, and I would assume this is true as well on the AF metal equivalent if you book it on delta.com with a DL flight number.
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM
IMO, I would try and find an itinerary flying on DL metal to CDG in Premium Select and then AF to MAD. You can probably book it entirely under AF flight numbers to maximize the MQD earning.

Premium Select is the best PE product of the three by far.
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TuxTom View Post
Most people agree the AMS is a better airport to connect at. Though with a long enough layover, CDG is doable. The main advantage to CDG would be the option of a true Premium Economy product to chose from between DL and AF. KLM Y+ won't be a whole lot different than DL C+ and there's no MQM bonus. Premium Select on DL gets a 50% MQM bonus, and I would assume this is true as well on the AF metal equivalent if you book it on delta.com with a DL flight number.
DL offers PS on some of its TATL routes to AMS. I've seen it on DTW-AMS as well as MSP-CDG in the summer.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:09 pm

I can't recommend AGAINST booking premium economy on Air France strongly enough, as I find the seat far more uncomfortable than a standard coach seat. Just do a search online and you'll say most reviews agree. The way the seats are set up, you don't recline at all. rather you slide down the hard shell of the seat back and your head is left at a very uncomfortable angle. Impossible to sleep.

I also second the fact that AMS is a much, much better transfer experience vs. CDG.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:27 pm

You can get on the non-stop IB LAX-MAD for less than 1000$ r/t

They only fly the A350 on the route so you will get a brand new plane.

Not good for your status or miles, but you will save the hassle of the connection.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

Your assumption is correct, PE is a separate fare class on AF just as on DL.
If you are seeking status bumps, loo to book with AF or KL flight codes as you will earn mileage based MQDs, if that makes a difference.
And for me, connections at CDG have improved significantly although the Schengen lounges at CDG can be very crowded mid-day in you have lounge access.
If flying coach, maybe book one way on AF and one way on KL.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: