Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will old miles not expire after I regain medallion status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Arrow Will old miles not expire after I regain medallion status?

Currently gold through end 2020 (Jan 2021). I think I have enough travels this calendar year to re-qualify for gold, or at least make it to silver for calendar year 2021. However, I most likely will not have enough travels in 2021 to qualify for medallion status for 2022. I most likely will not be able to re-start travel in 2022 until middle of that year. Hence, I will not have status for that 6 month period of the first half of the year. (I intend to apply for a one-year graduate training program which spans mid-2021 to mid-2022). So, will all the miles I have expire and have to be used within that 6 month period of early 2022??? What if I regain medallion status by end-2022?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by hikouki

Currently gold through end 2020 (Jan 2021). I think I have enough travels this calendar year to re-qualify for gold, or at least make it to silver for calendar year 2021. However, I most likely will not have enough travels in 2021 to qualify for medallion status for 2022. I most likely will not be able to re-start travel in 2022 until middle of that year. Hence, I will not have status for that 6 month period of the first half of the year. (I intend to apply for a one-year graduate training program which spans mid-2021 to mid-2022). So, will all the miles I have expire and have to be used within that 6 month period of early 2022??? What if I regain medallion status by end-2022?
RDMs (redeemable miles) never expire - regardless of your medallion status.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hikouki

DL doesn't have an expiration for miles. UA has even done away with it.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You do lose MQM rollover if you don't earn elite status, but it sounds like the OP is likely to have less than 25,000 MQMs so that rollover won't be an issue. OTOH if OP fails to achieve any elite status due to the MQD requirement, then indeed rollover will not occur and all remaining MQMs will be forfeited.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Schmoops
RDMs (redeemable miles) never expire - regardless of your medallion status.
RDMs DO expire...when you do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.