Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any tips on removing FF number from PDF receipt

Any tips on removing FF number from PDF receipt

Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can often but not always buy the plane ticket several weeks up to several months in advance. In principle, I could go through the hassle of getting a cash advance for the trip, but I never have done so. Also in principle, for some trips there would be a method of setting up an encumbrance on my travel budget with lots of approvals and paying a service fee to purchase the ticket from some small local travel agent I never use, which again isn't worth my time. So I just make my own arrangements and get reimbursed after the trip, which also happens when third parties are paying for my travel, with very few exceptions that aren't worth the hassle and that I ignore unless forced to use someone else's corporate travel agent, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by ijgordon
So that means you can't submit for reimbursement until after you fly? Are you always buying more expensive close-in tickets? If you buy a ticket 3 months in advance, you have to float your employee the money until you take the flight and can submit a boarding pass? This makes no sense...I really don't understand the point of requiring a boarding pass. It does NOT prove that you took the flight.
If you use a personal credit card, you are not reimbursed until after the flight, yes. If you use the corporate travel agent (not required) or you have access to a company credit card, it's not an issue. I use a personal card when I buy 1st class (because I'll only be reimbursed for coach, sometimes C+ depending on itinerary) It's easy to avoid if you use the corporate travel agency, but I much prefer to DIY. I'm also fortunate to be in a position that has access to a company credit card, so.....[and we can buy tickets for others on those cards, when appropriate] So yes, it's a PITA, but there are work arounds.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never accepted a company travel card because it's just a corporate card on which I don't pay the annual fee, but I still must apply, qualify, and be responsible for paying the bill on time. It wouldn't cause me to cancel one of my cards (I wouldn't want to be without cards I use if I change jobs) and I don't like the idea of having a copy of my itemized bill sent to my employer every month.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I just do my edits and then Print to PDF again so the changes are hardcoded into the file.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
If you use a personal credit card, you are not reimbursed until after the flight, yes. If you use the corporate travel agent (not required) or you have access to a company credit card, it's not an issue. I use a personal card when I buy 1st class (because I'll only be reimbursed for coach, sometimes C+ depending on itinerary) It's easy to avoid if you use the corporate travel agency, but I much prefer to DIY. I'm also fortunate to be in a position that has access to a company credit card, so.....[and we can buy tickets for others on those cards, when appropriate] So yes, it's a PITA, but there are work arounds.
OK at least you have the option to use a corporate travel agent or credit card (which you are not responsible for paying directly?).

At my company we MUST use the corporate travel agency and we must use our corporate cards (which we are on the hook for but will be paid directly by the company when the expense report is approved) for travel expenses. Nonrefundable tickets can be expensed right after purchase, refundable tickets have to wait until flown but they discourage refundable tickets (they'd rather pay a change fee, particularly for domestic travel) and those would likely be flown before the credit card statement is due anyway.

I still don't understand what requiring the boarding pass accomplishes, however.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:10 pm

I submit a lot of expense reports, and I have my tickets reissued all the time.

Can someone explain what the possible issue would be of submitting a receipt with one ticket number on it and then flying a different ticket number?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:13 pm

People have been known to cash in expensive tickets, fly on much cheaper tickets, get reimbursed for the expensive ticket, and then be fired and prosecuted. Some sports referees were in the news for this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The discussion has drifted from redacting the SkyMiles number on a PDF receipt to similar redactions on boarding passes. I want to caution you all about two additional facts regarding the PDF downloaded from Delta.

1) The PDF receipt has hidden text on page 1. Not sure what (if any) purpose Delta has for embedding this code.
2) The PDF file also contains extensive metadata related to the receipt.

Adobe Acrobat not only lets one redact personally identifying information from the body of the receipt, but it also can detect and remove the hidden text and metadata. Printing, scratching through, and re-scanning should also accomplish those tasks, but is a far more time-consuming and less elegant solution IMO.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I submit a lot of expense reports, and I have my tickets reissued all the time.

Can someone explain what the possible issue would be of submitting a receipt with one ticket number on it and then flying a different ticket number?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
People have been known to cash in expensive tickets, fly on much cheaper tickets, get reimbursed for the expensive ticket, and then be fired and prosecuted. Some sports referees were in the news for this.
That and many other potential fraud issues. It never occurred to me that a reputable accounting organization would pay out for an unused ticket ("making payments" on a corporate payment card doesn't count since they still control the original tender).
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is where corporate credit cards and travel agents come in handy. @:-) But if an organization is too cheap to do those I guess it can just treat its employees like children or criminals. \_(ツ)_/
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:27 pm

Sure, but if someone suspected I was doing that, it would take about 2 minutes to get the full audit trail from originally issued ticket to flown ticket from Delta (or, for that matter, from my email) and document what happened.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Wait- your employer requires your boarding pass for reimbursement? Do you contract or are you fill time staff?
Do THEY know these things are digital nowadays?
why would contractor vs employee make a difference here?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by A321neo
why would contractor vs employee make a difference here?
Generally contractors can negotiate invoicing requirements (e.g. documentation). If a client wanted some onerous documentation, I would strike that clause from the contract or charge extra for that documentation. Employees usually don't have that flexibility.

In the US there is no exact legal definition for contractor vs employee, just some guidelines. The more control a client exerts, the more it makes it into an employer-employee relationship vice a contractee-contractor.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
This is where corporate credit cards and travel agents come in handy. @:-) But if an organization is too cheap to do those I guess it can just treat its employees like children or criminals. \_(ツ)_/
Some of us really prefer to make our own travel arrangements and pay with our own credit cards. I have yet to have a good experience with a corporate travel agent when I've been forced to use one, and I have used many one time only.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of us really prefer to make our own travel arrangements and pay with our own credit cards. I have yet to have a good experience with a corporate travel agent when I've been forced to use one, and I have used many one time only.
It's not about what you (or I) prefer, it's about what policies the company has in place to ensure compliance. I certainly don't want to charge my airfare to my corporate Amex (vs. my Platinum at 5x miles) and I certainly don't want to have to call an agent or use the clunky Concur website, but dem's da rules. And I think they enable much more robust compliance than requiring a boarding pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.