New BP Scanners to Enforce Zones?

Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Possible it is her mother in law ?
She said that he was her baby.

Also, he didn't help at all with her carry on stuff; he only allowed her to use him as an excuse to board early.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
She said that he was her baby..
Some baby are better, some are not... In some case, we need to know "all" the history behind some behavior...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
I imagine they do the right thing and help...

UA has had this system for a while. It makes a loud unpleasant buzzer sound if you try to board early, for extra shaming. Though I imagine it wouldn't necessarily require installing new scanners to program the system to do this.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I posted in another thread. If this happens the system should automatically move you to middle seat, row in front of emergency exit/last row (no recline). You then have to wait till last to board.
I'm still holding out for the trap door that opens to the gator pit!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by estedman
All they have to do is board with the "need additional time people" as Delta won't ruffle those feathers. Just today I saw 3 women board when it was called, all appearing to perfectly healthy.
This is the wrong mindset because just like people who shame people who park in handicap spots that "dont appear to need it" you dont know why they are handicapped.

I get upset because I have people in my life who either temporarily or permanently had/have handicaps that while not visible were/are very debilitating. I have experienced it when I drive them and park in a handicap spot and have had people either huff, give dirty looks, or actually say "why do you think you can park there?" I usually ignore them but once someone said it as I was walking to the passenger side of a the car to help the person out that I said "I may not be handicapped but maybe the person I am driving is, also its none of your business take a walk"

I can understand the mindset to a degree when so many people try to cheat systems that are designed to help people with real needs, but I really wish people would give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume they have an assistance animal, handicap pass, or board early because they really need it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:58 am

To further confuse customers, a couple days ago I saw GAs boarding Main1 through the SkyPriority lane. I got stuck boarding in that mob and didn't see whether Main2 and BE are also now considered to be SkyPriority.

When everyone's SkyPriority, no one is.
Per Delta....Sky Priority side includes...First/DM...Comf+....Sky/PM and GM....Main Cabin 1/FO.
General Boarding side includes....Main Cabin 2/3 and BE.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I can understand the mindset to a degree when so many people try to cheat systems that are designed to help people with real needs, but I really wish people would give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume they have an assistance animal, handicap pass, or board early because they really need it.
I'm with you here that people need to mind their own business. In the case of handicapped parking spaces, there is at least the plausible excuse of a limited number of spaces, and the possibility that someone who needs the space being shut out. On a plane, that's not the case. Nobody with a need is going to be denied early boarding because someone else already boarded early.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:27 am

Once I saw an elderly woman preboard as a family with her forty-year-old son. He sat in FC while mommy dearest was in the back of coach.
And then what happened?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Just an honest question for the DMs here, why does it matter so much when lots of people pre-board? In my experience, most GAs give them enough time to board and be seated by the time they call DMs and FC, so there isn't some huge backlog on the jet bridge. And FAs do a good job of preventing coach passengers from using the FC overhead bins.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm specifically talking about flights with a large number of pax pre-boarding. NOT pax who board outside their zone.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Simple solution: program the boarding scanner to loudly announce “Please have a seat in the waiting area. You have been reassigned to boarding group Basic Economy.”
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
1. Just flew MSY-JFK last night with my son and I in Main 1 and my wife separated off our reservation into Main 2 so that at least he and I would be upgrade eligible (didn't get an upgrade, obviously). We all boarded together during Main 1 and the gate agent didn't say anything. I felt slightly embarrassed doing it, but not much.

2. DL shouldn't have 11 different boarding zones, half of which inexplicably come before Zone 1.

3. Board from the last row forward, load the plane objectively faster than any other method, and make this entire discussion moot.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of the legacy carriers use a boarding system designed for efficiency, e.g. speed and comfort. It is all about doling out tiny perks to the self-important.

While there is not enough OH space on a typical mainline single aisle aircraft to accommodate all legal carry ons, not everybody has two bags. The real culprit is the failure to strictly enforce carry on sizes. Once one's bag is stowed, it's always been my experience that the expensive and cheap seats all arrive at the same time.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
1. Just flew MSY-JFK last night with my son and I in Main 1 and my wife separated off our reservation into Main 2 so that at least he and I would be upgrade eligible (didn't get an upgrade, obviously). We all boarded together during Main 1 and the gate agent didn't say anything. I felt slightly embarrassed doing it, but not much.

2. DL shouldn't have 11 different boarding zones, half of which inexplicably come before Zone 1.

3. Board from the last row forward, load the plane objectively faster than any other method, and make this entire discussion moot.
In DL's mind, the more revenue you generate to DL, the earlier you board. The first group is FC/DM which is DL's most important customers, followed by the rest of the medallions, C+, and AMEX cardholders in SKY and Main 1, and finally then the rest of kettles in Y grouped in order with U fares and up in Main 2, cheap T, X, and V fares in Main 3, and Basic Economy last which is DL's least profitable customers
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Ah, so disabled have to go to back of the bus. I thought that line of thinking went away years ago.
All I'm saying is that if it takes you longer to board, it will likely take you longer to deplane. It would make sense (when able) for those people to do seated near the back of the plane.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by eneq
And FAs do a good job of preventing coach passengers from using the FC overhead bins.
Problem with domestic F is that you'll have some who will place their rollers, some kind of bag and winter coats. While boarding last is never an issue on int'l J/F or true TCON F, it is on the others. A few times, I've been that last F pax looking around like an idiot for that final sliver of space for my roller.

Is it that hard to restrain and limit's one's bin space to ONE article and wait until a "no show" before putting the rest of one's stuff up there? Must have said this a gazillion times, if FAs save F space and limit to one roller per pax, I'd board 1 minute before closing.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. If you've ever flown FC before, you know that a FA will offer to hang your coat. There's no need to stuff it in the bin.

2. On international widebody flights, when there's a separate front boarding door for J, DL tends to close it very early. I've even missed it when I leave the lounge the instant that boarding is announced.
pdxkat likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.