Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will I have Access to Delta's first lounge(s)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I have Access to Delta's first lounge(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
It’s really confusing though as one could be flying in F on AM from LAX-MEX and get SC access, but if you fly in DL F on the same route and not get access.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It’s really confusing though as one could be flying in F on AM from LAX-MEX and get SC access, but if you fly in DL F on the same route and not get access.
It's not that unusual. DL also has different access rules than their partners for DL Skyteam Elite Plus access to third-party lounges. Flying NCE-JFK won't provide access to third party lounge at NCE, while NCE-AMS-JFK with NCE-AMS on KL will. FC fares on LAX-MEX go for $581 roundtrip. Domestic coach fares can cost as much as that.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's not that unusual. DL also has different access rules than their partners for DL Skyteam Elite Plus access to third-party lounges. Flying NCE-JFK won't provide access to third party lounge at NCE, while NCE-AMS-JFK with NCE-AMS on KL will. FC fares on LAX-MEX go for $581 roundtrip. Domestic coach fares can cost as much as that.
GM+ or SkyTeam ElitePlus flying NCE-AMS alone on KLM will get lounge access at NCE without the TATL connection (which of course also gets lounge access at AMS and also at JFK if there's a further connection).
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, I was noting that AA provides lounge access on FC flights to Central America, while DL now does not. It is what it is. Alaska Airlines provides lounge access to paid domestic FC passengers, but not those who get complimentary upgrades. Lounge overcrowding is an issue as well as the airlines aggressively pricing FC fares to sell more seats (instead of giving them away as complementary upgrades). Maybe if the airlines had more lounges that are over an acre in size like KLM has in AMS, overcrowding might not be such an issue.
Thanks. I missed the connection to AA. I think though, customers who pay for FC (or flights labeled as such) should get FC lounge access that's literally the name of the lounge. I don't have a problem with people who free upgrades not automatically getting access. They didn't pay for the experience. Besides, they still get to sit upfront gratis. That's good enough. I certainly wouldn't complain that I didn't get free snacks when I am going to get them on my flight.

Everything, I am seeing is really about giving access to people who spend a lot of money. But what about the little person who is treating themselves to once in a lifetime opportunity but they don't get it because what is actually labeled first class really isn't? I find that unfair. But airlines know that calling a flight FC for seemingly short flights when in reality is more like a business class experience doesn't bring the big bucks.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Delta. I have had nothing by positive experiences. Their metal is comfortable. The staff is welcoming. I used to have just book with AA but honestly the last times I have flown them their seats were comfortable or the plane was old and worn down by years of usage. Once I didn't get IEF wasn't working and I just sat there because I was on award flight. In hindsight, I would have complained.

Anyways, as a customer I am just asking for more transparency and rules that don't change depending who the gatekeepr is. LOL, that's why I don't fly United.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Beyonce
Thanks. I missed the connection to AA. I think though, customers who pay for FC (or flights labeled as such) should get FC lounge access that's literally the name of the lounge. I don't have a problem with people who free upgrades not automatically getting access. They didn't pay for the experience. Besides, they still get to sit upfront gratis. That's good enough. I certainly wouldn't complain that I didn't get free snacks when I am going to get them on my flight.

Everything, I am seeing is really about giving access to people who spend a lot of money. But what about the little person who is treating themselves to once in a lifetime opportunity but they don't get it because what is actually labeled first class really isn't? I find that unfair. But airlines know that calling a flight FC for seemingly short flights when in reality is more like a business class experience doesn't bring the big bucks.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Delta. I have had nothing by positive experiences. Their metal is comfortable. The staff is welcoming. I used to have just book with AA but honestly the last times I have flown them their seats were comfortable or the plane was old and worn down by years of usage. Once I didn't get IEF wasn't working and I just sat there because I was on award flight. In hindsight, I would have complained.

Anyways, as a customer I am just asking for more transparency and rules that don't change depending who the gatekeepr is. LOL, that's why I don't fly United.
DL doesn't name its lounges "FC" or First Class. They're called SkyClubs.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I agree with you, about every FC passenger should get access to the lounge, but it should be every paying FC passenger as many of us myself included get upgraded more often then we pay out right for first.

Then the other drawback is, how crowded the clubs would be if they did give all FC passengers club access even if it's just paying FC passengers.
I don't believe it is paying customers who are crowded lounges. It is elites. Most flights have a very limited numbers of FC/D1 seats but because of the premium cards a lot of members who have access and listen I love it. I have priority pass. It has been amazing. I travel the world with a friend who had Star Allience status and though we were traveling coach having access to lounges for showers and snacks was glorious but this was years ago before the age of the cards. LOL. Everyone has to make money. I get it. I really do. But just feels a bit disingenuous.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate to break the news to you, but buying a First Class ticket these days no longer puts you in rarefied-air or really makes you an HVC (High Value Customer). It's probably fair to say that was the case many years ago when First Class fares were rarely discounted and were fully flexible and refundable. That all started changing when Northwest introduced it's BizFlex discounted First Class fares with advance purchase and minimum stay requirements nearly 20 years ago. Slightly later, the Y-UP fares came along which introduced a whole series of FC fares on flights which were based off of underlying coach fares with an upcharge and shared the coach fare's restrictions (typically non-refundability). To give you an idea of how expensive the FC fares were back then, here's an excerpt from a 2001 WSJ article on NW BizFlex fares. If you inflation adjust them, they become even more outrageous.

"A regular Northwest first-class round-trip fare with no restrictions between Newark, N.J., and Minneapolis is $2,000, and an unrestricted full coach fare is $1,508. The First Class BizFlex fare on that route is $854. American said full first class on its one-stop Detroit-Seattle round trip costs $2,718 and full coach $2,062. The reduced first-class fare is $1,211."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB990046703466320148

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 2020 at 10:04 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as "free" SC access any more than there is "free" alcohol or luggage. It is simply included or not.

US customers, primarily the large businesses who pay for the tickets, are not interested in fares which include this, so they don't. Once upon a time, when F was a 200-300% premium over Y, it all made sense. But, today, the F premium is quite low and most domestic and close-by cross-border flights, sell F/J at a reasonable premium. That gets you a nicer seat with included booze and perhaps an acceptable meal.

The lone exception are the premium routes (same for AA, UA, and B6) on the NYC-LAX/SFO hops where people pay more and get more service.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Jumping on this thread,
I've a Delta 1st class MIA-JFK and then connecting to a Virgin upper class flight to LHR the same evening. The sky club rules infer that an international connection on a sky team flight would get access on the domestic sector. But no mention of virgin connecting flights anywhere?
Presume its a big fat no to getting into the sky club at MIA?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmouse
Jumping on this thread,
I've a Delta 1st class MIA-JFK and then connecting to a Virgin upper class flight to LHR the same evening. The sky club rules infer that an international connection on a sky team flight would get access on the domestic sector. But no mention of virgin connecting flights anywhere?
Presume its a big fat no to getting into the sky club at MIA?
The SkyClub at MIA allows access to VS Upper Class passengers, so you should be able to get in on that basis - I'd just show them your JFK-LHR boarding pass. Also, I don't think that it matters, but are your flights DL- or VS-marketed? (i.e., DL or VS flight numbers on your itinerary?)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Bey,
You got 99 Problems, and apparently SkyClub access IS one.
Hit me.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The SkyClub at MIA allows access to VS Upper Class passengers, so you should be able to get in on that basis - I'd just show them your JFK-LHR boarding pass. Also, I don't think that it matters, but are your flights DL- or VS-marketed? (i.e., DL or VS flight numbers on your itinerary?)
You're correct, it doesn't matter, he'll have access in both MIA and JFK.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This sounds encouraging, but I do have VS codes on both flights.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
FWIW, I have an F trip booked ATL>PTY and reached out to the DL twitter team earlier today to see if I would be eligible for entry. Per DL twitter, "Regrettably, you will not gain access to the Delta Sky Club with the First Class fare."
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
IIRC Delta did had "First Class Lounges" back when they still had a true international First class ( 25+ years ago ). When IFC was scrapped in favour of the new "Business Elite" class these Lounges got closed but it might be that they kept some as business class lounges (?), i think i remember one in the old JFK T3.
Since then Pax with an domestic or international ( americas ) First class ticket did not access to an Lounge. The Sky clubs are just that, a "Club" which sells membership for a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.