Airlines and Mileage Programs

Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

Delta took my assigned first class seats away and did not reassign the seats

Old Jan 19, 20, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Booked a flight from DTW to OGG then returning LIH to DTW. Two seats, first class Flight was booked in September and seats were picked on the day of booking The return flight from LIH, we am going through SEA. I picked 4A and 4B for my wife and I on that specific flight. With the trip coming up in one week I was checking Delta. com to make sure everything was good to go. To my surprise my wife and I did not have assign seats for that leg of the trip. Only seats left were 1A, 1B, 3D, 5B. I immediately called Delta. There was NO equipment change only a change in the flight number. I told them I was not happy that I now had to take the bulk head seats for a red eye flight over the pacific ocean. After talking to two "supervisors" They refused to do anything. . Of course they were not going to give me my seats back but I thought they would at least give me miles. They refused because I was in the same cabin. I am only silver now but was Platinum for 5 years in the past. Was I wrong asking for miles? What recourse do I have?
Old Jan 19, 20, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JMHMDPC View Post
Booked a flight from DTW to OGG then returning LIH to DTW. Two seats, first class Flight was booked in September and seats were picked on the day of booking The return flight from LIH, we am going through SEA. I picked 4A and 4B for my wife and I on that specific flight. With the trip coming up in one week I was checking Delta. com to make sure everything was good to go. To my surprise my wife and I did not have assign seats for that leg of the trip. Only seats left were 1A, 1B, 3D, 5B. I immediately called Delta. There was NO equipment change only a change in the flight number. I told them I was not happy that I now had to take the bulk head seats for a red eye flight over the pacific ocean. After talking to two "supervisors" They refused to do anything. . Of course they were not going to give me my seats back but I thought they would at least give me miles. They refused because I was in the same cabin. I am only silver now but was Platinum for 5 years in the past. Was I wrong asking for miles? What recourse do I have?
I would have taken 3D and 5B and asked 5A or 3C to switch. Not guaranteed but pretty good odds swapping non-bulkhead window for window or aisle for aisle.
Old Jan 19, 20, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JMHMDPC View Post
There is nothing due and no recourse. All airlines do this. If a flight number changed then it would have been just like you had changed flights. New seats would need to be picked. Sorry that it happened, but it does indeed happen on all airlines.
boss315 and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Seats assignments are like voting, pick early and check often. That said in this day and age it is really surprising that equipment swaps and or flight number changes cause such random seat assignments.
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Recourse? Here is the contract you agreed to when you purchased your tickets.

"Delta is not responsible or liable for making connections, failing to operate any flight according to schedule, changing the schedule or any flight, changing seat assignments or aircraft types, or revising the routings by which Delta carries the passenger from the ticketed origin to destination."

That said, DL might have agreed to change you to the next flight with those specific seats available. But, if you did not ask for that, it is now in the past and would have been in DL's sole discretion in any event/
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:26 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Recourse? Here is the contract you agreed to when you purchased your tickets.
Just because there is a contract doesn't make it enforceable.

That said, you've no grounds to sue in this situation
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:37 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Seat assignments are not guaranteed on any airline I know of, and most will prominently remind you of this when picking the seats.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:48 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Msafiritx View Post
Seat assignments are not guaranteed on any airline I know of, and most will prominently remind you of this when picking the seats.
Which is complete and total crap when they change you extra to select a seat.
ryw, iskingolf, altabello and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
so dont fly?
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 9:59 pm

You are usually entitled to an "equivalent" seat, just not the exact one you picked. But I agree with your sentiment, if I paid extra I would be pissed as hell.
strickerj and altabello like this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Msafiritx View Post
You are usually entitled to an "equivalent" seat, just not the exact one you picked. But I agree with your sentiment, if I paid extra I would be pissed as hell.

c’mon, people ... OP is in F; paying for seat selection is irrelevant in this case

that said, while it’s really bad form on DL’s part, compensation is also irrelevant here since OP still has assigned seats in F
ekozie likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

c’mon, people ... OP is in F; paying for seat selection is irrelevant in this case
Not exactly. I think Cledaybuck's point isthat advance seat selection has essentially become a paid service, whether you pay separately or as a part of a (more expensive) ticket, or via status. Thus the obligation to honor it should be more than casual.

To be fair though, I have been re-seated involuntarily on only about 1% of my flights.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:06 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
so dont fly?
Next time you dont enjoy a restaurant, my advice is dont eat.
tvnwz, Chang11, strickerj and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:16 am

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM
I hate when that happens too. It's frustrating as hell and it makes me feel like I get moved for a passenger with more status. For example, I'm flying Iberia rn MAD-LYS. I'm sapphire, had chosen exit row aisle ages ago yet somehow got moved to a bs seat a week later and the exit aisle seat was gone.

I called in and got exit window at least. Total BS but what are ya gonna do? Welcome to the world of road warrior.
Old Jan 20, 20, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
They are not ‘your’ seats and never were. I couldn’t fathom getting on the phone over something like this, especially when there are other pairs available.
OHDL1 and WestCoastPDX like this.

Search this Thread