Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

Delta took my assigned first class seats away and did not reassign the seats

Delta took my assigned first class seats away and did not reassign the seats

Old Jan 20, 20, 12:40 am

Programs: DL DM (ST E+), AA PM, UA GM
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
They are not Ďyourí seats and never were. I couldnít fathom getting on the phone over something like this, especially when there are other pairs available.
At over 6' tall I'd be upset to be moved from a seat with decent legroom to a bulkhead.

If you have the option to choose a seat and spend the time and effort to do so - finding one that makes your travel a bit more pleasant, can you not see the expectation of pax to be seated in said seat and that one might be frustrated to be moved?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by _fx View Post
Next time you donít enjoy a restaurant, my advice is donít eat.
not at that restaurant, certainly.
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:31 am

Programs: DL PM
Sorry OP. It sucks, but the lesson is to ALWAYS babysit your reservations weekly and consistently check for schedule changes and seat reassignments.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:32 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
The thing that baffles me is that people who spend 8 to 10 hrs per day together cant take being seated 3 meters apart for 8 hrs when every day they spend at least 12 hours apart. Is it the end of the world?
Old Jan 20, 20, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Seats assignments are like voting, pick early and check often. That said in this day and age it is really surprising that equipment swaps and or flight number changes cause such random seat assignments.
Agreed. This is why I have Airline Apps on my phone and I can quickly check my upcomming trips for any changes. At the end of the day Airlines cant babysit reservations. Yes auto booking is great but it wont fix all seating requests it just placea you randomly except with manual intervention
Old Jan 20, 20, 8:15 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
The thing that baffles me is that people who spend 8 to 10 hrs per day together cant take being seated 3 meters apart for 8 hrs when every day they spend at least 12 hours apart. Is it the end of the world?
Not the end of the world but it is precisely because so much time is spent apart because of work, etc. that a couple would want to sit together when they fly someplace on vacation. My husband died suddenly a few years ago and I am grateful for every moment we had together, including seated together on flights.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by _fx View Post
Just because there is a contract doesn't make it enforceable.

That said, you've no grounds to sue in this situation
That's a rather broad statement on your part.

What exactly about this particular contract to which OP agreed is it that you believe is unenforceable?
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
If that seat is very important to you, use ExpertFlyer's Seat Alert function to notify you of changes of your seat.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

címon, people ... OP is in F; paying for seat selection is irrelevant in this case
It's flyertalk, no thread is complete until someone injects a weird, completely irrelevant hypothetical
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
Sorry OP. It sucks, but the lesson is to ALWAYS babysit your reservations weekly and consistently check for schedule changes and seat reassignments.
this isn't even really that helpful, even if you're looking every 5 minutes, it doesn't matter, because when this happens, all the seats are shuffled at the same time.

Delta needs to fix their software to put people in the same seats when these changes happen and the seatmap is the same. It seems like they almost would have to go out of their way to cause this in some cases.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:23 am

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Recourse? Here is the contract you agreed to when you purchased your tickets.

"Delta is not responsible or liable for making connections, failing to operate any flight according to schedule, changing the schedule or any flight, changing seat assignments or aircraft types, or revising the routings by which Delta carries the passenger from the ticketed origin to destination."

That said, DL might have agreed to change you to the next flight with those specific seats available. But, if you did not ask for that, it is now in the past and would have been in DL's sole discretion in any event/
Just because DL tries to say they arenít responsible or liable doesnít mean they arenít responsible or liable. Of course DL is responsible for the change. Itís silly to believe anyone but DL is responsible. Recourse and what you can do about it are another matter and of course DL has ďbig pictureĒ things to look at and are why they make such adjustments and of course itís not to purposely screw over passengers, but itís not like itís OPís fault the flight, and thus seats, were changed. So who else would be responsible for the change besides Delta?

OP, you can probably write in after the fact and get some customer service gesture miles, especially if you were moved to what were deemed less desirable seats. Be brief and to the point. Communicate that your change in seats was not communicated to you. This is one area DL struggles: with schedule change notifications. I find I donít get notified for major changes quite often. I and others have learned that you unfortunately have to babysit your DL reservations and check them frequently on DL.com for changes since you may well never receive any communication about the change, even if the change is a significant adjustment in departure or arrival time.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by geminidreams View Post
I see this kind of statement made frequently on threads like this, and it always baffles me. First, unless you're counting sleeping time, 8 to 10 hours per day is extremely high to spend with your spouse. Even assuming just an 9 hour work day including lunch, 1 hour round-trip of commuting, and 8 hours of sleep, that only leaves 7 hours and assumes both partners leave and return at exactly the same time. Also, this is FT where some people occasionally travel for work and might not see their spouse except on weekends. Throw in deployments, living in separate cities for education, long-term work assignments across the country, and there are plenty of reason why a couple may wish to sit together when they finally get the chance to go on vacation.

If we book coach and get upgraded to separate seats, we'll certainly take those and may politely someone if they'd be willing to switch similar seats (e.g., non-bulkhead aisle for non-bulkhead aisle). However, if I book seats together months in advance, I'd be at least annoyed if the airline just decided to split us up.
Old Jan 20, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
this isn't even really that helpful, even if you're looking every 5 minutes, it doesn't matter, because when this happens, all the seats are shuffled at the same time.

Delta needs to fix their software to put people in the same seats when these changes happen and the seatmap is the same. It seems like they almost would have to go out of their way to cause this in some cases.
Indeed. I once got moved from a paid exit row seat after checking in and printing my boarding pass for it.
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1 View Post
If that seat is very important to you, use ExpertFlyer's Seat Alert function to notify you of changes of your seat.
This will only help if the pre-assigned seat was vacant long enough for EF to poll and capture the vacancy before it was reassigned. High chance that all happened quickly and EF would have missed it.

Originally Posted by Msafiritx View Post
Not exactly. I think Cledaybuck's point isthat advance seat selection has essentially become a paid service, whether you pay separately or as a part of a (more expensive) ticket, or via status. Thus the obligation to honor it should be more than casual.
Well the terms of a specific seat selection fee will allow a refund if they donít give you a ďcomparableĒ seat. You could certainly argue over the definition of comparable if you wanted to and I suspect if push came to shove, youíd get the refund.
As for paying for main cabin vs BE, thatís a little trickier because the fare difference isnít entirely due to the ability to pre-assign a seat. But if you lost your seat assignment and then there were few or no other open seats to change to, you may have a reasonable argument for a partial refund or some compensation. I do wonder how the DOT or a small claims court judge would view this. I suppose it argues for screen shot-ing the BE vs MC fare comparison.

Also, Iíve almost never lost an assigned seat. Actually my husband and I have an upcoming flight on a 763 up front. Only available window seats at booking were 1A/D and 4A/D so I took 1A/4A and was maybe going to see once onboard if 2A didnít mind taking 4A instead. But at some point after booking we were moved into 1A/2A. Go figure.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
First there is the JFK incursion, then they dump jet fuel on children, then they skid off the runaway at KCI, and now they take away the OP's seats...When will this stop? Best US airline my a$&….
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread