Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

100k miles + $300 taxes for Delta One R/T BOS to LHR flying in March, good price?

100k miles + $300 taxes for Delta One R/T BOS to LHR flying in March, good price?

Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

98k miles + $300 in taxes for Delta One seat R/T BOS to LHR in March 2020, is that a good price? If not, I'm thinking I would use my AmEx airline incidental credit to pay for the fee to have the 100k SkyMiles and $300 refunded back to me. What do you think?

Last edited by Magna; Jan 18, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Magna
If 100k miles + $300 for Delta One R/T BOS to LHR in March 2020 not a good price, I'm thinking I would use my AmEx airline incidental credit to have 100k SkyMiles and $300 refunded to me. What do you think?
100K in D1 to Europe is a great price (for Delta).

Typically the best you'll ever get is likely 98k which they've done in the past, but I wouldn't count on it coming back

I'd take it now. The $300 is high but I think that's the LHR tax.

(then again I prefer longer TATL flights to get some sleep so I'd try to do something like BOS-MSP-LHR, but I am weird)
jaimemayo and Duke787 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TommyD2

Typically the best you'll ever get is likely 98k which they've done in the past, but I wouldn't count on it coming back

(then again I prefer longer TATL flights to get some sleep so I'd try to do something like BOS-MSP-LHR, but I am weird)
Ah thanks for the info. Actually, it was 98k miles and the taxes were in the low $300s.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty confident that's each-way and not roundtrip as not seeing anything that low for roundtrip

Fare Basis code CSTR1000, 60-day advance purchase required, roundtrip booking required with Saturday night stay. DL has awards as low as 80K each way with a 90-day advance purchase (CSV800 awards). These would require booking in April and onwards to meet 90-day advance requirement. Awards in partner VS in Upperclass are available from 86K each way with a 60-day advance purchase requirement (CSMH860 awards). Neither CSV800 or CSMH860 awards have a roundtrip booking requirement. So you can do a one-way calendar search in each direction to find dates with availability and then combine in a roundtrip booking (to avoid ex-EU surcharges on one-way's). That won't work with finding CSTR1000 awards due to the roundtrip booking requirement (you'll never see availability for them with a one-way search).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 18, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

There is no 'LHR tax'

Air Passenger Duty will apply at the standard rate but that isn't specific to LHR departures. It applies to all ex UK departures (other than with connections) with some exceptions involving departures from Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
That's is a good deal - been looking and can only find ~270K +$300
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah thanks for the info. Actually, it was 98k miles and the taxes were in the low $300s.
That sounds like the 48-hour award flash sale that was active a couple months ago (good for travel through mid-April). I'm seeing no signs of availability at that rate any longer (it was only good for 48 hours). Dates? Here's the basics from the email --

"Your November Flash Deal: Delta One® From 98,000* Miles"

Award Tickets to select destinations between the continental U.S. 48 and Europe. Award Tickets shown are round trip.

Tickets | Tickets must be purchased no later than November 14, 2019 at delta.com.

Travel Period | Travel may begin on or after December 24, 2019 and all travel must be completed by April 18, 2020.

Advanced Purchase | 30 Days (sic)

Minimum Stay | 7 Days

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 18, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is no 'LHR tax'

Air Passenger Duty will apply at the standard rate but that isn't specific to LHR departures. It applies to all ex UK departures (other than with connections) with some exceptions involving departures from Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Yeah, sorry I mis-spoke(typed). I get it's a UK thing, I just tend to fly in/out of LHR.

Thanks for the correction.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
That sounds like the 48-hour award flash sale that was active a couple months ago (good for travel through mid-April). I'm seeing no signs of availability at that rate any longer (it was only good for 48 hours). Dates? Here's the basics from the email --

"Your November Flash Deal: Delta One® From 98,000* Miles"

Award Tickets to select destinations between the continental U.S. 48 and Europe. Award Tickets shown are round trip.

Tickets | Tickets must be purchased no later than November 14, 2019 at delta.com.

Travel Period | Travel may begin on or after December 24, 2019 and all travel must be completed by April 18, 2020.

Advanced Purchase | 30 Days (sic)

Minimum Stay | 7 Days
It was a flash sale, I didn't know if it was a good price, especially with the taxes, but went through the purchase anyway. I decided to worry about it later if it wasn't a good price or if I couldn't find anybody to go with me, by using my AmEx airline incidential fee credit to reverse it. I still can't find anybody to go with me or meet in London so it'll be a solo trip. And It'll be my first time in a Delta One seat. I was a bit worried when my sister thought it was an awfully high price. It's just a big jump from Economy Plus to Delta One in SkyMiles.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:05 pm

It was a flash sale, I didn't know if it was a good price, especially with the taxes, but went through the purchase anyway. I decided to worry about it later if it wasn't a good price or if I couldn't find anybody to go with me, by using my AmEx airline incidential fee credit to reverse it. I still can't find anybody to go with me or meet in London so it'll be a solo trip. And It'll be my first time in a Delta One seat. I was a bit worried when my sister thought it was an awfully high price. It's just a big jump from Economy Plus to Delta One in SkyMiles.
I think you sister doesn't know Delta pricing

You got a very good price. The 'normal' lowest cost is something like 160k miles. Do a quick search and you'll see typical prices > 200k miles.

So don't worry about it, just enjoy
Magna likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:34 pm

Hadn't paid attention in a long time but the ~$300 in tax seemed high but looks like it is not. Tax for coach seat is about $177. Looks like a good deal, though a pretty short flight. Enjoy!

Last edited by xooz; Jan 19, 2020 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You’re not alone. I would absolutely do the same if flying out of Boston. BOSLHR is just too short. During winter it is less time in the air than BOS to LAX.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Basically $1300 for a RT D1 to Europe. I got a similar deal to Zurich and am happy as a clam.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by orca15
Basically $1300 for a RT D1 to Europe. I got a similar deal to Zurich and am happy as a clam.
That's how I see it too. Plus, 98k r/t is better than AA on BA (115k r/t and double the taxes).
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Originally Posted by xooz
Hadn't paid attention in a log time but the ~$300 in tax seemed high but looks like it is not. Tax for coach seat is about $177.
And the difference between Economy and Business/non-Economy rates of UK Air Passenger Duty for a TATL is ~$122, so that pretty much accounts for the difference in tax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.