Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta phone reservations- getting a excellent rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

I have called in on the gold medallion # several times trying to get someone experienced enough to help me. Is there a way to ask for escalation? I am trying to book seats on international flight that comes up as sold out but seat map show lots of open seats.
TIA.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by 2sisters
I have called in on the gold medallion # several times trying to get someone experienced enough to help me. Is there a way to ask for escalation? I am trying to book seats on international flight that comes up as sold out but seat map show lots of open seats.
TIA.
The seat map isn't a reliable indicator of the flight being sold out or not. With Basic Economy and sometimes group pnr's don't pick seats ahead of time.

Or it could be going through a schedule change and seats are not being sold for a few days.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
When you say sold out. Is it showing completely not available, or is it just not available in the low discount fares that you want to book?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's really very close to being sold out or actually sold out, even if you do get a seat, the ticket will be horrendously expensive.

Do GMs currently have guaranteed availability for full fare coach on any DL operated flight? At one point, this was an elite benefit and there was even a guarantee of a full fare business class seat for international route purchased seven days in advance of travel for higher tier elites.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your fast replies. I am trying to book LAX-PVG- SGN. I can book DeltaOne but would rather save $ so I am Looking for PS seats on DL89 LAX-PVG. I can get delta one to book and can see the open PS seats. The connection in PVG is MU. If I leave out the connection, just going LAX-PVG I can get the seats? Very strange. Representative had no luck either and no explanation.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you considered buying a separate ticket for the MU flight? It sounds like some version of married segment logic, which is unusual when different airlines are involved, but MU has a JV with DL and the DL TPAC segment might be forcing the booking into a DL codeshare on MU. A better way, if it works, might be to explore booking the MU flight with a MU flight number and possibly with different codeshares, such as KLM, AF, or maybe KE, or trying to book the DL segment under a MU flight number, etc.

There could also be problems with having a DL PS fare for the DL TPAC segment and then connecting to a flight that doesn't offer a premium economy cabin. Are you sure that there's a through premium economy fare on this route?

If you have access to a very good real live human travel agent, they might be able to put the segments you want together on a single ticket/PNR, but you will almost certainly be charged a fee, probably in the $35-50 range.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:06 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Thanks for your fast replies. I am trying to book LAX-PVG- SGN. I can book DeltaOne but would rather save $ so I am Looking for PS seats on DL89 LAX-PVG. I can get delta one to book and can see the open PS seats. The connection in PVG is MU. If I leave out the connection, just going LAX-PVG I can get the seats? Very strange. Representative had no luck either and no explanation.
Dates?

You might be able to get MU business class for the same price as PE.

Otherwise it sounds like MSP is right - either married segment or no PE fare available LAX-SGN on DL.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't look like you can buy a DL PS fare for LAX-SGN that routes through PVG and includes MU flights. It looks like you can use VN from SGN-PVG in some cases. Or there just might not be any married segment bucket availability in PAG PS fare classes (just because there is availability on LAX-PVG does not mean there will be bucket availability all the way through to SGN). You could buy separate tickets with PS for LAX-PVG and then MU for PVG-SGN segment (which would have to be coach or business as they don't have a PE product on this route).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 17, 2020 at 4:27 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

More good replies...thanx! Although you all have lingo I don’t understand I think you are suggesting I should get to PVG on delta and book PVG-SGN directly on MU. I am a little nervous about that since if there is an issue with delays or anything I won’t have delta to help me.

on MU website they should flight available in economy and business.

my original question was how to get a good phone rep on delta? Can you ask to be escalated?

what is TPAC?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More good replies...thanx! Although you all have lingo I don’t understand I think you are suggesting I should get to PVG on delta and book PVG-SGN directly on MU. I am a little nervous about that since if there is an issue with delays or anything I won’t have delta to help me.

on MU website they should flight available in economy and business.

my original question was how to get a good phone rep on delta? Can you ask to be escalated?

what is TPAC?
TPAC is short for trans-pacific. TATL is frequently used as short for trans-atlantic.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I would try matrix or Google flights. Even though DL/MU will help with a missed connection (even on separate tickets), it's fairly easy to get all the flights on one ticket if it's a technology error and not a fare rules/married segment issue.

What are the dates?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
One more piece of lingo you'll see on FT that you might want to store: HUCA (Hang Up Call Again) - there's not a magic code you can use to get routed to an "excellent rep" but if the one you got isn't doing it for you politely end the call and then try again
Note: this works a whole lot better if you have access to elite lines, for general members if there's a long hold time this probably just makes you since calling back after an hour hold would suck

Last edited by ryan182; Jan 18, 2020 at 12:47 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
You aren't looking to stop-over in PVG, right?
You might consider VN as the connection also. Very nice airline, although you will earn fewer miles/MQDs if booking with MR or VN flight numbers because VN isn't a preferred partner.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do GMs currently have guaranteed availability for full fare coach on any DL operated flight? At one point, this was an elite benefit and there was even a guarantee of a full fare business class seat for international route purchased seven days in advance of travel for higher tier elites.
I am curious if anyone knows if this is still the policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.