Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL MIA Expansion: New MCO, TPA, SLC, RDU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL MIA Expansion: New MCO, TPA, SLC, RDU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Hopefully VS moves out of Airside 4 as well. Their flights make the Sky Club unbearable.
Not going to happen. DL owns 49% of VS and ground handles their flights ex-US. They also just had entered into a JV. They're not going anywhere DL isn't.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Sickening, it was averaging a 50% load factor the last time DL cut it. Maybe I’m biased because I live on the south side of Orlando, but I recently drove down to MIA in just over 3 hours. Is it really worth it to drive to the airport, wait an hour for the flight to depart, take the 40-50 min flight to MIA, and then drive to your destination. For most, you could have just drove in the same amount of time as flying as long as it’s not rush hour and have the freedom of having your own car when you get there. It will be real interesting to see how this flight does this time around and see if the LATAM feed can carry this flight.
Honestly I hate driving and the drive to Miami really sucks. Even if there isn’t much time savings I would rather drive to MCO, have a drink in the SkyClub and then fly.

Originally Posted by pfreet
Is the Centurion Lounge in MIA a reasonable option from the Delta gates? Us Reserve card holders will soon be able to take advantage of that
It’s really not an option for DL passengers. Completely separate terminals which are not connected.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not going to happen. DL owns 49% of VS and ground handles their flights ex-US. They also just had entered into a JV. They're not going anywhere DL isn't.
I suppose it could still depart Airside 4 but I think MCO wants all arrivals at the new international terminal. I don't know if you've ever visited Airside 4 when an international flight arrives but it is literally hell on Earth with the way they have CBP setup. They have to shutdown the trains from the terminal to the airside to make it a sterile area. This causes massive backups at security and the lazy security officers are never in any rush to put the train back in operation after the international passengers clear out. They could always tow it back over to Airside 4 after arriving but that seems really unnecessary. MCO is a leisure destination and VS uses LGW. Lounge access isn't a necessity. And I don't see any reason for Air Canada to move. Those flights use precearance.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:55 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
AA just announced they're increasing TPA-MIA to 7x daily. The previous schedule was pretty worthless with only a few early AM or late PM options.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
This isn't too surprising. They have a JV with LA and need to feed their flights.
Not entirely correct. They have a codeshare agreement and DL has minority ownership of LA. They won't have an approved JV for at least another year.
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Most of the international flying from MIA on AA is local traffic anyway.
While I don't doubt that AA can maintain their schedule, it's because MIA is a geographically logical hub for anyone on the east coast traveling to S America. Can you provide a source that "most" is O&D? That doesn't sound right.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Honestly I hate driving and the drive to Miami really sucks.
The drive from Tampa is terrible, too. I'd rather fly. But ... honestly ... even more so, I'd rather take a train.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I suppose it could still depart Airside 4 but I think MCO wants all arrivals at the new international terminal. I don't know if you've ever visited Airside 4 when an international flight arrives but it is literally hell on Earth with the way they have CBP setup. They have to shutdown the trains from the terminal to the airside to make it a sterile area. This causes massive backups at security and the lazy security officers are never in any rush to put the train back in operation after the international passengers clear out. They could always tow it back over to Airside 4 after arriving but that seems really unnecessary. MCO is a leisure destination and VS uses LGW. Lounge access isn't a necessity. And I don't see any reason for Air Canada to move. Those flights use precearance.
The plan was never for all INTL arrivals to move to Terminal C. They have made the train setup during INTL arrivals somewhat better where they now only have to shutdown 2 cars and the INTL and domestic pax don’t mix until the normal secure area exit now. I agree with you that currently, Airside 4 is slammed during The afternoon TATL rush, but having all the non DL partner airlines move to C will definitely help with some of the crowding.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: DL,US
It would also be great, if there is this growth in MIA, if they got better hours on the Clear / PreCheck in Miami. No Sunday nights? Hello!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MAH4546

KLM flies to Miami. Miami has an extensive SkyTeam trans-Atlantic network with KLM, Alitalia, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Air Europa and Aeroflot.
I think its funny that MIA has more SkyTeam airlines flying there than ATL.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by eneq
How many international tourists want to visit Atlanta? I'd hazard not many.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by eneq
Much bigger O&D
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
At 5x daily though, I think this is a little too much. The past two times DL tried this, the first was meant for feeding the old MIA-LHR flight and the previous was to feed the MCO-GRU and MCO-BSB flights that were also discontinued. I asked one of the agents in MCO when they canceled it the last time and was told that the flight averaged a 50% load factor.
Yes, they did. They tried MIA-JAX/MCO/TPA & LHR and it didn't workout so well. Due to low demands.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I think it would return on either a 717 or 738. Currently all CVG-Florida is mainline.
Wouldn't be that sure. AA is running CVG-MIA at most 2x daily on RJs, and I feel like there was a time not too long ago when DL cut CVG down so much that they were flying RJs to some stations in FL.

Although ... DL still seems to have retained quite a bit of FF loyalty in CVG - they managed to push UA off of CVG-SFO.

Last edited by ab2013; Jan 18, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
Wouldn't be that sure. AA is running CVG-MIA at most 2x daily on RJs, and I feel like there was a time not too long ago when DL cut CVG down so much that they were flying RJs to some stations in FL.

Although ... DL still seems to have retained quite a bit of FF loyalty in CVG - they managed to push UA off of CVG-SFO.
JAX-CVG fluctuated between CRJ arm CR9 but was discontinued when they started the SEA buildup. DAB-CVG was a CRJ but was cut in 2008. I don't recall if CVG ever had service to PNS or SRQ but if it did I would guess it was probably CRJ. But DL still operates MCO, TPA, RSW, and FLL with mainline equipment so I would guess if MOA returned they'd do the same. I believe it was last operated with an MD-88.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by TBD
AA just announced they're increasing TPA-MIA to 7x daily. The previous schedule was pretty worthless with only a few early AM or late PM options.

Not entirely correct. They have a codeshare agreement and DL has minority ownership of LA. They won't have an approved JV for at least another year.

While I don't doubt that AA can maintain their schedule, it's because MIA is a geographically logical hub for anyone on the east coast traveling to S America. Can you provide a source that "most" is O&D? That doesn't sound right.
DOT T100 data. MIA is roughly 68% O&D. AA’s split has historically on domestic been 60 connecting/40 local and roughly the reverse on international. Not many people need to go beyond Miami from places like Cali and Montevideo and Cap Hatien.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
The introductory fares are great but will they sustain? If you've ever looked at AA's MCO-MIA fares, they are ridiculous for a 55 minute flight. Some flights as much as $199ow due to a monopoly on the route. If competition from DL brings all the prices down, we win.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
JAX-CVG fluctuated between CRJ arm CR9 but was discontinued when they started the SEA buildup. DAB-CVG was a CRJ but was cut in 2008. I don't recall if CVG ever had service to PNS or SRQ but if it did I would guess it was probably CRJ. But DL still operates MCO, TPA, RSW, and FLL with mainline equipment so I would guess if MOA returned they'd do the same. I believe it was last operated with an MD-88.
Speaking of DAB, I remember the days where ATL-DAB was sometimes operated by a CR7/CR9. Now I think they throw a 717 in there during the quieter times but it's mainly now MD88/MD90's or 737's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.