Luggage allowance on Reward Ticket

Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Luggage allowance on Reward Ticket

I just had the strangest experience checking in for a Garuda flight GCK-SIN travelling in business class on a Delta reward ticket.
I tries to check my 13.5 kg suitcase, and the agent said that my baggage allowance was zero. She asked to see my
ticket, which I had - all 5 pages printed out - and it has no mention of luggage allowance anywhere on the ticket.
I thought perhaps since it was "O" Class she might be seeing 0. but she was sure that allowance is NIL.
It took 2 supervisors and about 20 minutes for them to accept my nag with no charge.
Is this a common occurrence, or did something go wrong with my ticket?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I just had the strangest experience checking in for a Garuda flight GCK-SIN travelling in business class on a Delta reward ticket.
I tries to check my 13.5 kg suitcase, and the agent said that my baggage allowance was zero. She asked to see my
ticket, which I had - all 5 pages printed out - and it has no mention of luggage allowance anywhere on the ticket.
I thought perhaps since it was "O" Class she might be seeing 0. but she was sure that allowance is NIL.
It took 2 supervisors and about 20 minutes for them to accept my nag with no charge.
You get the GA allowance since it's an award booking and 1st flight is GA. DL and AA/UA seem to have problems lately with it issuing tickets with NIL allowance when no US segment involved.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Just booked a reward ticket on DL for flights in North America and my booking is showing $USD 30 for checked bags, even though I'm Silver Medallion. I thought the first bag is free , or am I mistaken?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The flight receipts dont seem to account for medallion status. You will have one free checked bag. It will show correctly when you check in.
flying chef likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, UA Prem Exec, BA blue
Angry Just charged US$600 to check bags on Garuda biz class redemption flight

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread: the exact same thing happened to me a few days ago on a redemption ticket from SIN-DPS. Long story short, Garuda check-in staff there told me that my business class redemption (40K for SIN-DPS) came with a baggage allowance of exactly 0 bags. They wouldn't budge, it was getting close to cut-off for check-in, and so I paid. To add insult to injury, their credit card machine wasn't working and I had to withdraw cash to pay the S$800 (US$580) bill. (I am moving countries and didn't pack light precisely because I thought I'd have generous baggage allowance on a business class ticket.)

Question for the collective mind here: should I take this up with Delta or with Garuda? I'm worried that Delta will tell me that Garuda was at fault, and that Garuda will tell me that their system showed zero bags and I need to take it up with Delta. That was the line that the Garuda staff at SIN kept repeating. Appreciate any advice on where to kick off the process of trying to get at least the miles back
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by efamous
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread: the exact same thing happened to me a few days ago on a redemption ticket from SIN-DPS. Long story short, Garuda check-in staff there told me that my business class redemption (40K for SIN-DPS) came with a baggage allowance of exactly 0 bags. They wouldn't budge, it was getting close to cut-off for check-in, and so I paid. To add insult to injury, their credit card machine wasn't working and I had to withdraw cash to pay the S$800 (US$580) bill. (I am moving countries and didn't pack light precisely because I thought I'd have generous baggage allowance on a business class ticket.)

Question for the collective mind here: should I take this up with Delta or with Garuda? I'm worried that Delta will tell me that Garuda was at fault, and that Garuda will tell me that their system showed zero bags and I need to take it up with Delta. That was the line that the Garuda staff at SIN kept repeating. Appreciate any advice on where to kick off the process of trying to get at least the miles back
Garuda was wrong. GA J allowance applied.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Garuda was wrong. GA J allowance applied.
is there a way to prove it because even economy on the ticket delta shows 0 bags?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I would contact DL first. DL messed up by incorrectly listing the bag allowance as zero. They may reimburse as it was their fault you were charged. However absent that you need to contact GA.

Was there other flights on this ticket before the GA segment? It could effect allowance.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would contact DL first. DL messed up by incorrectly listing the bag allowance as zero. They may reimburse as it was their fault you were charged. However absent that you need to contact GA.

Was there other flights on this ticket before the GA segment? It could effect allowance.
dps-nrt ga. It's for the future however people have problems because detla states the wrong thing and dosnt realize when I called them, ga dosnt answer either
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ijones027
dps-nrt ga. It's for the future however people have problems because detla states the wrong thing and dosnt realize when I called them, ga dosnt answer either
Slightly OT: Do you happen to know how much Garuda charges per kilo for baggage from DPS-NRT?
I have just ticketed a similar distance Delta award ticket on Garuda economy CGK-HND departing next month for my brother. The check-in baggage allowance is 0. The Garuda phone rep didn't want to give me an idea of the price per kilo because she's afraid it might be grossly different by the time of travel.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by hightide
Slightly OT: Do you happen to know how much Garuda charges per kilo for baggage from DPS-NRT?
I have just ticketed a similar distance Delta award ticket on Garuda economy CGK-HND departing next month for my brother. The check-in baggage allowance is 0. The Garuda phone rep didn't want to give me an idea of the price per kilo because she's afraid it might be grossly different by the time of travel.
around 105 pounds although sadui says 95 how did you get in contact with them they never answered me . What a mess
it's like 600 bucks for 50 pounds somthing crazy like that
hightide likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:42 am

around 105 pounds although sadui says 95 how did you get in contact with them they never answered me . What a mess
it's like 600 bucks for 50 pounds somthing crazy like that
What do you mean by 105 pounds? Maybe 95 base price + 11 % VAT which becomes 105?
That's exorbitant if it's US$600 for 50 pounds/23 kilos.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:03 am

What do you mean by 105 pounds? Maybe 95 base price + 11 % VAT which becomes 105?
That's exorbitant if it's US$600 for 50 pounds/23 kilos.
it's 400,000 idr according to the chart a kilo, times 23kg around 580 us dollars
actually around 1k for 105 pounds yeah about insane
hightide likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:07 am

it's 400,000 idr according to the chart a kilo, times 23kg around 580 us dollars
actually around 1k for 105 pounds yeah about insane
Yeah, I thought so.
I enquired about buying excess baggage in advance as the cost for CGK-HND is Rp200,000/Kg (which is same price as DPS-NRT) but it's not possible to add excess baggage in advance for Delta award flight. Seems like only choice is to pay double the price at check-in. At this rate, I suggested my brother to pack light and just buy more clothes in Japan if needed.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:02 pm

Yeah, I thought so.
I enquired about buying excess baggage in advance as the cost for CGK-HND is Rp200,000/Kg (which is same price as DPS-NRT) but it's not possible to add excess baggage in advance for Delta award flight. Seems like only choice is to pay double the price at check-in. At this rate, I suggested my brother to pack light and just buy more clothes in Japan if needed.
I have a letter from delta saying it's the airline flying baggage policy so I plan on fighting with that and saudi airlines says 95 pounds so I'm gonna use that too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.