Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I got sick at the LGA Terminal D Delta Club

Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Wed,, Jan. 15 I ate my morning meal at the Delta Club in LGA’s Terminal D. The “power greens” had an odd taste.
Three hours later I had extreme nausea. Five hours later I was throwing up.
26 hours later I am still very queasy.

Did anyone else have a problem like this?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk

I’m going to move this thread over to the Delta forum, where your questions will receive a more immediate response.

I hope you feel better soon

Prospero
Moderator: Airport Lounges forum
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpet Diva
Wed,, Jan. 15 I ate my morning meal at the Delta Club in LGA’s Terminal D. The “power greens” had an odd taste.
Three hours later I had extreme nausea. Five hours later I was throwing up.
26 hours later I am still very queasy.

Did anyone else have a problem like this?
I would suggest going to a doctor for testing and a real diagnosis rather than assuming food poisoning. It could be the virus that has been going around my office, the flu, food poisoning or any number of things. If it does turn out to be food poisoning, you should start compiling a list of everything you ate the last two weeks, as most cases of food-borne illness take ~7-10 days to incubate.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation
I would suggest going to a doctor for testing and a real diagnosis rather than assuming food poisoning. It could be the virus that has been going around my office, the flu, food poisoning or any number of things. If it does turn out to be food poisoning, you should start compiling a list of everything you ate the last two weeks, as most cases of food-borne illness take ~7-10 days to incubate.
That is the biggest problem with food poisoning and why it takes so long sometimes to find the source of contamination. We think it's something we ate within the last 24ish hours, but it can be a long time. And who remembers what they ate last week? And multiple data points are often needed and don't get reported to find the cause and fix the problem.

But best of luck to you OP why ever you're not feeling well, I hope you feel better soon.
olegator and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I wouldn’t wish food poisoning on anyone....it’s literally the worst.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I got sick on a delta flight last year. After we landed I had a headache and the next day I had flu-like symptoms.
That answers your question.
Feel better soon.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:47 pm

Best is to use the NYC 311 complaint form (online). If sufficient complaints they will start paying extra attention. It is very difficult to pinpoint the source of food poisoning but if there are multiple complaints about a possible source it is will help spur corrective action.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by mayhem
I got sick on a delta flight last year. After we landed I had a headache and the next day I had flu-like symptoms.
That answers your question.
Feel better soon.
This. :-:
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
as most cases of food-borne illness take ~7-10 days to incubate.
Not true - see link:

https://www.fda.gov/food/consumers/w...orne-illnesses

While some food borne illnesses can take that long, the majority are much quicker. The several days, week, months rhetoric is usually preached by people trying to avoid blame - mainly restaurants or others who are giving out the contaminated food. Most episodes of "food poisoning" come on within a few hours and things often don't feel right soon after eating the meal.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
While some forms of foodborne illness can appear sooner, it's actually very rare to see an onset of symptoms outside the window of 24-48 hours post consumption.

What did you eat the day before?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:56 pm

It can happen in a less than a couple hours. Ive had the pleasure of vomiting in the lav on a 737 on climb out twice. Once about 1 hr after eating a bacon egg and cheese bagel from the great american bagel company in GRR. The other was about 1 hr after eating a Chik fil a biscuit from Concourse C one morning leaving ATL. Both times I was feeling perfectly fine until climb out when I was met with cold sweats stomach pain and massive vomiting.

But according to the CDC the stuff on leafy greens usually takes 12-48hrs to see symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/symptoms.html
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
Try several hours to one week. You're thinking of airborne viruses, like a common cold.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
as most cases of food-borne illness take ~7-10 days to incubate.
What? No. Just no. Symptoms can occur in matter of hours. 2-3 days, maybe. 7-10 days? You must be thinking of something else entirely. No food poisoning would occur 10 days later, let alone 'most cases'.

It's true that the OP's 3 hour timeframe is a bit soon, but still possible.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Once diagnosed, OP should:

1. Notify DL
2. Notify NYC Health Department

It is helpful although not essential that OP provide approval to his doc. to discuss his case with at least the NYC public health folks.

If the doc has another diagnosis, at least OP can put this issue to rest.

What is not particularly useful is OP conducting her own investigation on social media.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What? No. Just no. Symptoms can occur in matter of hours. 2-3 days, maybe. 7-10 days? You must be thinking of something else entirely. No food poisoning would occur 10 days later, let alone 'most cases'.

It's true that the OP's 3 hour timeframe is a bit soon, but still possible.
3 hours is very soon unless the viral/bactierial load was very heavy. And if that was the case, there would have been hundreds getting sick all over given the communal serving area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.