FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   why is the Delta fuel dump on children thread closed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2004588-why-delta-fuel-dump-children-thread-closed.html)

aubreyfromwheaton Jan 16, 2020 12:23 am

why is the Delta fuel dump on children thread closed?

Other incidents have had the thread open far longer, very interesting that this one is shut down so fast.

arunhn Jan 16, 2020 12:33 am

I had the same question. What is the criteria for closing a thread on which there is still activity? There are a lot of unanswered questions related to the whole fuel dump incident and that thread should be left open. Very weird.

ZonaFlyer Jan 16, 2020 12:49 am

I feel most headlines about this incident are misrepresentative. The aircraft was dumping fuel over a populated area and the fuel did not vaporize before landing on things found in populated areas: buildings, schools, people, etc. They did not dump it on a school or children. That implies they sought out that environment.

WestCoastPDX Jan 16, 2020 1:07 am

It has to have been one of the most overblown and sensationalized events in many years.

Did anyone miss expressing their keyboard outrage by now?

There will be more fresh meat to get super very upset about in the morning. Don’t worry, the media will breathlessly tell you all about it in the next news cycle.

jmastron Jan 16, 2020 1:37 am

Whether the headlines in some other media are exaggerated or not, the fact is that a Delta flight did dump fuel lower than allowed over a populated area after explicitly telling the controller they weren't going to. People, including many schoolchildren, had skin irritated by and breathed in atomized fuel -- and didn't immediately know what it was, how to handle it, how long was appropriate to take to handle it, etc. Even if the effects turn out to be temporary, and even if it needed "just a shower", the logistics of getting all of the affected kids home to do so in a timely fashion, to release teachers to do the same without causing a ratio issue are pretty challenging.

There are certainly emergency situations that allow a pilot to make a call that otherwise would violate regulations -- but the public is then entitled to know the nature, whether there were alternatives, if better procedures/traning/communications could have avoided it, etc. Personally I think this is a perfectly appropriate topic to follow and discuss in a Delta forum.

flyerCO Jan 16, 2020 2:16 am

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton (Post 31956543)

Other incidents have had the thread open far longer, very interesting that this one is shut down so fast.

I think it's very clear. The discussion was becoming argumentative instead of a discussion. Had nothing to do with the topic itself.

BTW, you should contact the mod who closed it. One its FT policy and two, you're going to get a response as to their actual reason.

SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident Jan 16, 2020 2:43 am

There was a risk that someone might post something insightful or interesting from the pilot's perspective, like why they chose 2000'. Fortunately the mods jumped in and saved us from having to read something that was insightful.

Seriously, the mods need to justify their positions somehow. There really aren't that many trolls on here. Sweeping discussions about GUCs and whatnot into the megathread, so that the OP can never find the thread again and never receive help, only takes so much time. They gotta mod something with all the time leftover. *shrug*

SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident Jan 16, 2020 2:44 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31956768)
I think it's very clear. The discussion was becoming argumentative instead of a discussion. Had nothing to do with the topic itself.

I was actually going to balk at the notion that grown adults can't handle an argumentative thread, but then I remembered some of the things that frequent posters on here complain about and I think you may have a point.

CPMaverick Jan 16, 2020 3:24 am

Agreed, that thread closed at 2000' when they should have let it get up to 5000'.

enviroian Jan 16, 2020 5:00 am

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX (Post 31956634)
It has to have been one of the most overblown and sensationalized events in many years.

Oh? When is the last time you heard on the news a fully fueled 772 dump jet fuel over a bunch of schools and 60 people had respiratory problems?

BearX220 Jan 16, 2020 5:13 am

The incident raises major policy / airmanship questions, and FT carries on for far longer about far more trivial issues. We can do 100 posts on how the limes on the bar cart ought to be cut, but we can't abide discussion of a probable major environmental violation?

WestCoastPDX Jan 16, 2020 5:20 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31957057)
Oh? When is the last time you heard on the news a fully fueled 772 dump jet fuel over a bunch of schools and 60 people had respiratory problems?

I don’t read the news, for exactly this reason.
This event, in the scheme of things happening in the world, the USA, California or even Los Angeles, is utterly inconsequential.

Sure, it’s fun fodder for you to discuss it. Make fun of delta, pretend to sympathize with children you don’t know.

Thousands of people a year die in automobile accidents.
Why not thousands of threads here for that while we’re at it?
It’s travel related.

If it’s such a big deal to everyone here, has everyone donated to the clean up efforts? (Pun intended).
Have you donated money to delta to pay for the fuel?
Have you leant your expertise to ATC to help understand? Or the FAA or whomever else?

No.

A freak event happened. As happen every day when houses catch fire, cars crash, planes crash, people fall into chemical vats. Drown in bathtubs. Whatever.

Hundreds of people posted online that they were mad at delta for some reason.

And they all want ANSWERS!! They demand to know how an event that didn’t happen near them, that they didn’t volunteer to help fix, that they know nothing about - they want to discuss it endlessly because they are entitled.

Entitled to compensation.
Entitled to showing their keyboard outrage.
entitled to an apology from a company (run by people...)

Things happen in life.
And so does clickbait.

Everyone person posting in that thread fell for it.
An unusual story the media hyped up to make money on while you click and they get paid by advertisers.

Do you actually deeply deeply care about a freak incident like this. Or in 2 days will you have moved on to the next little thing that is unusual that the media tells you to be upset about?

People are losing their grip on reality, and a lot of us are sick of having to watch and read endless idiotic comments online from uninformed keyboard warriors.

BenA Jan 16, 2020 5:40 am

Once upon a time, we had a thread to provide transparency around moderator actions, and it was greatly appreciated. We no longer have that as an asset here on FlyerTalk, and unfortunately I expect that this thread will be closed as well because the moderators have chosen to enforce the rule that no discussion of moderation actions is permitted.

I’ve seriously dialed back my participation on FlyerTalk lately because I’ve found the forum to be a less hospitable community than it once was. I’d respectfully submit that reopening the “premature evacuation” thread, as it once was known, would be a great start towards bringing the forum back to being a place where everyone feels welcome to contribute and where they have confidence that rules are consistently and fairly applied to all.

Live4Miles Jan 16, 2020 5:42 am

I bet Delta loves that they have a huge DELTA letters on the bottom of that plane in the video with the fuel dumping out (as the flight crew tells the tower that they were NOT dumping fuel)

FlyingUnderTheRadar Jan 16, 2020 6:42 am

Why was it closed? The thread took off with speculation, flew high into turbulence with people dumping fuel on the engine fire. So the mods closed the boarding door as before it could crash land.