Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skyclub access when traveling internationally first (not D1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

I've XXX-ATL-SJO booked in a few weeks for myself and three family members, we're all on paid F, I'm PM (not sure it matters in this case) and the rest have no status.

Will we have Skyclub access at XXX and ATL outbound, SJO and ATL inbound by virtue of being in first class?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:29 pm

let me google that for you https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I've XXX-ATL-SJO booked in a few weeks for myself and three family members, we're all on paid F, I'm PM (not sure it matters in this case) and the rest have no status.

Will we have Skyclub access at XXX and ATL outbound, SJO and ATL inbound by virtue of being in first class?
They changed the rule about a year ago where you have to be traveling in D1 internationally now, so FC doesn’t get you access here. You will however get access to the lounge as being a PM gets you STE+ international club access no matter what cabin you are in, although you are limited to one guest.

Originally Posted by mctaste
What’s up with the snarky reply?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
They changed the rule about a year ago where you have to be traveling in D1 internationally now, so FC doesn’t get you access here. You will however get access to the lounge as being a PM gets you STE+ international club access no matter what cabin you are in, although you are limited to one guest.
Thank you. I guess I can always pay the $29 fee for the one guest (I have the Amex Platinum card).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You may still get in solely based on being in F. There's been reports on here, I've seen it, and I know other that have gotten in. We've all been told that it is indeed still allowed, and there was no intention of cutting access. (In my case two Skyclub managers and DL CS have confirmed)

This will be truly a YMMV situation.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:55 am

Many times I have faced this and have consistently been told I get SC access as a PM with only one free guest when flying in any cabin internationally even when 3 of us are flying in paid F. If we were flying in D1 internationally then the second guest would also get in free.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Many times I have faced this and have consistently been told I get SC access as a PM with only one free guest when flying in any cabin internationally even when 3 of us are flying in paid F. If we were flying in D1 internationally then the second guest would also get in free.
if you were all flying D1 then the second and third people wouldn't be your guests, they'd have their own access regardless of your status.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Thank you. I guess I can always pay the $29 fee for the one guest (I have the Amex Platinum card).
If you're still PM, you can guest someone in for free with STE+. No need to pay for it. I've done this many times flying to Canada.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
If you're still PM, you can guest someone in for free with STE+. No need to pay for it. I've done this many times flying to Canada.
There are three total in his party, not two.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
OP is traveling with three other people.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Will we have Skyclub access at...SJO?
Note there is no SkyClub or STE+ lounge at SJO (just a contract lounge for AeroMexico and STE+ will not get you into the contract lounge). You'll need a Priority Pass for access to the SJO lounges.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:25 am

Are you sure that your fare code is actually “F” and not Business. A SC agent at LGA explained to me recently, while I was on a multi flight trip from YYW to GSP, that since my BP indicated that I was in (Int’l) Biz, I could enter. If it had stated “F”, I would not have be given entry, unless I was willing to pay the Amex Platinum Skymiles fee.

YMMV
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
What’s up with the snarky reply?
op could have typed his question into a search engine, clicked the first result, and saved everyone else the trouble.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Are you sure that your fare code is actually “F” and not Business. A SC agent at LGA explained to me recently, while I was on a multi flight trip from YYW to GSP, that since my BP indicated that I was in (Int’l) Biz, I could enter. If it had stated “F”, I would not have be given entry, unless I was willing to pay the Amex Platinum Skymiles fee.

YMMV
The fare type (FC or D1) is encoded in the second to last letter of the fare basis code (F for FC, D for D1). The fares on OP's route are considered FC and thus will have an F there. All FC and D1 fares now book into J/C/D/I/Z booking classes which have historically been considered "business" class fares and depending on where and what system you use to print your BP, it may just look at the Fare Booking class (and not see the fare basis code) and just punt and say "Business". The reality is that DL does not have a "Business" class product any more and any flights on DL metal are considered either FC or D1. You will typically only see the "Business" designation if you are on a partner metal flight. Did you mean YYZ instead YYW? I'm guessing you were probably on a WS codeshare flight since DL does not fly that route and that's how you got the Biz designation on your ticket as you would be checking in/printing BP with WS, not DL.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 16, 2020 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mctaste
op could have typed his question into a search engine, clicked the first result, and saved everyone else the trouble.
What trouble has been caused by this thread? I feel most of us are here to help the OP. Also this issue on INTL DC (non-D1) lounge access has been confusing lately with DL changing the wording on the SC access page (some say it works, others don’t)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.