Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from F to C+ twice in a week; anyone else have this IT error?

Downgraded from F to C+ twice in a week; anyone else have this IT error?

Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I had cleared into F on a recent DTW-MSY trip and was waiting to board when I saw my name on top of the upgrade list into C+. Talked to GA agent about it, we were both having a laugh at how silly it was. However, if she had just processed the list without question, I would have been on the same boat as OP

Note to self: keep an eye on the C+ list when upgraded into F
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by gigglypug
I had cleared into F on a recent DTW-MSY trip and was waiting to board when I saw my name on top of the upgrade list into C+. Talked to GA agent about it, we were both having a laugh at how silly it was. However, if she had just processed the list without question, I would have been on the same boat as OP

Interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye on this as well.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
All of the people saying the OP is entitled to nothing are the same people who would be losing their minds at the gate counter if they walked up with a boarding pass for 2B and were told they had to sit in C+.

Clearly there is an internal IT issue if people are checking-in, getting a F boarding pass at check-in, and then getting to the gate and getting "upgraded" to C+ from F.

If the GA isn't paying attention, people can be downgraded, which shouldn't be allowed in the IT system. The system ought to recognize a customer is already in F and block an "upgrade" into C+ (or keep them off the C+ list entirely).
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye on this as well.
Yes, I will be doing so as well. So now at each check in I will be taking a look at the Upgrade list.
I do that now for flights where I haven't cleared yet, but now will also do so for flights where I have been upgraded to F already.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
All of the people saying the OP is entitled to nothing are the same people who would be losing their minds at the gate counter if they walked up with a boarding pass for 2B and were told they had to sit in C+.
It's happened to me, I didn't flip out, I reported it and let DL investigate it.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The corollary to this ridiculous view is that the airline should be free to take away complimentary upgrades that they begin granting at T-120h for any reason, including to sell to another customer for a higher fare or a higher-priced buy-up, because they wouldn't ever need to provide compensation and can just say, too bad so sad not guaranteed. That's a great way to run a business, you should apply for Ed Bastian's job.
Exactly this! If I was in paid F, I would be entitled to a refund of the fare difference as well as the downgrade voucher as a CS service recovery gesture (or reopening of a certificate, etc.)

Without paying for F, but being confirmed in it nonetheless; the fare difference is not owed, but the voucher still is. Both a phone supervisor as well as an airport Red Coat confirmed this is the correct policy.

Originally Posted by gigglypug

While I’m not happy it is happening to you personally, I am happy I’m not the only one!

My problem is that the GAs aren’t paying attention and moving me to C+.

In another case, the Diamond Desk cancelled the C+ seat, but the system saw my F seat as available (despite the Diamond Desk assuring me I was in it) and someone from the UG list was cleared into my F seat.

Now 1 F seat was double assigned. What a mess it was to fix at the gate!

Originally Posted by WillSkiGT

Clearly there is an internal IT issue if people are checking-in, getting a F boarding pass at check-in, and then getting to the gate and getting "upgraded" to C+ from F.

If the GA isn't paying attention, people can be downgraded, which shouldn't be allowed in the IT system. The system ought to recognize a customer is already in F and block an "upgrade" into C+ (or keep them off the C+ list entirely).
Completely agreed. And the GAs aren’t paying attention - they are just clearing off the list.

It’s frustrating because it’s required me to go to the gate much earlier than I would have, multiple times, all to fix DL’s crummy IT!

Originally Posted by MarkCron
Yes, I will be doing so as well. So now at each check in I will be taking a look at the Upgrade list.
I do that now for flights where I haven't cleared yet, but now will also do so for flights where I have been upgraded to F already.
Please do. And know that even if you don’t request the UG, the system may still put you on the list.

When I checked in last night for my flight today, I was already in F, but it asked if I wanted a C+ upgrade, which I declined.

I was cleared and lost my seat at the gate. Sucks. Tired of this BS.
Spiff and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
When I checked in last night for my flight today, I was already in F, but it asked if I wanted a C+ upgrade, which I declined.
That in and of itself is a major glitch that obviously shouldn't happen.
I was cleared and lost my seat at the gate. Sucks. Tired of this BS.
I wonder if you were cleared by agent or by computer. They should at least get an alert out to GAs to not clear any C+ upgrades without verifying that the seating assignment is in coach. And hopefully their IT gets on troubleshooting this right away.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That's why it's called a "complimentary upgrade". Just like Costco gives out complimentary samples. Are you going to demand a free package of cheese if they run out of samples when you reach the front of the line? You are not guaranteed something complimentary. Equipment swaps, inoperative seats, etc can all cause a downgrade. And anyone who was upgraded for free should be the first to be downgraded.
If they take away the cheese sample that looks delicious right when you're about to eat it you would be annoyed.

It's annoying. It shouldn't be. If they can't get the IT systems to work properly (which they should since complimentary upgrades are nothing new), they shouldn't be clearing upgrades prior to the gate.
I'm with OP.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mayhem
If they take away the cheese sample that looks delicious right when you're about to eat it you would be annoyed.

It's annoying. It shouldn't be. If they can't get the IT systems to work properly (which they should since complimentary upgrades are nothing new), they shouldn't be clearing upgrades prior to the gate.
I'm with OP.
The thing is most of the time, the GAs are using SNAPP at the gate, which also “automates” the process. This is probably why the OP was bumped because the GA just clicked the button to clear UG’s and this is what happened. No sensible GA would “UG” someone to C+ when they already are in FC and I would assume this also why most GA’s probably just ignore the C+ UG list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.