Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 89 Fuel Dump onto School LAX to PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
To help you understand how this works, its very possible to find that the actions of the crew were improper while also finding the media hysterics are overblown.@:-).
"Media hysterics" is just blame shifting. Injuries were never described as serious or likely to pose lasting complications. Children in a school yard can't disperse all that readily. Frightened parents were legitimately part of the story.
rufflesinc and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
"Media hysterics" is just blame shifting. Injuries were never described as serious or likely to pose lasting complications. Children in a school yard can't disperse all that readily. Frightened parents were legitimately part of the story.
No its not "blame shifting", no one but the flight crew is to blame for the fuel dump, again you need to have the cognitive ability to separate the action from the response. Headlines like"60 people treated after plane dumps jet fuel near several schools in LA area" (treated == a shower) or "26 Injured After Delta 777 Dumps Fuel On Elementary School" (injured == need a shower) are hyperbole. Also this got heavy coverage on national and cable news not just local channels, national news...I guess I should just be happy there's nothing else in the world of note going on today more pressing than some kids smelled fuel and a few needed a shower ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This has been an interesting discussion, but now it is time to move-on.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:29 am

Delta PR flack booed at town hall over DL89 fuel dump

https://abc7.com/5860316/

The Federal Aviation Administration released a fact sheet Friday stating that the pilot did not follow proper procedure which requires pilots to alert air traffic control if they plan to dump fuel.

"This is not just a school that they dropped this is on, it's a whole community. On black and brown communities - low income black and brown communities - so this is very upsetting," said one South Los Angeles resident.

Air traffic control twice asked the pilot whether he needed to dump fuel and twice he said no.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Good. That captain needs to be canned and have his certificate pulled.
dav662 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:38 am

There are a few different possibilities here:

1) This really was a critical situation and it was imperative to get the plane on the ground ASAP. If this is the case, why didn't the pilot start the dump sooner?

2) This wasn't that critical - clearly in this case the pilot should have dumped the fuel somewhere else (there are designated areas for this) and at a higher altitude.

3) They thought it was critical at first and then later figured out it wasn't - this scenario doesn't make sense, they would have dumped sooner when they thought it was critical, or proceeded to the dump area when they figured out it wasn't critical.

4) they thought it was non critical at first but then figured out it was critical - this also doesn't make sense because they didn't start the dump until they were on approach for landing.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
"This is not just a school that they dropped this is on, it's a whole community. On black and brown communities - low income black and brown communities - so this is very upsetting," said one South Los Angeles resident.
Really, what does race and income level matter in this situation? I submit it would be "upsetting" regardless of the color or income level of the folks getting fuel dumped over their heads. Of all the things (or lack thereof it may seem) going through the pilots mind, I highly doubt those were factors.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:14 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Who cares what people had fuel dumped on them? Why did they have to turn it into a race and income thing? These people are obviously very smart because they are definitely looking for a payout from Delta.
bchandler02, Tofino87 and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by defrosted
Really, what does race and income level matter in this situation? I submit it would be "upsetting" regardless of the color or income level of the folks getting fuel dumped over their heads. Of all the things (or lack thereof it may seem) going through the pilots mind, I highly doubt those were factors.
The US media doesn't care about facts. They push their -ist agenda to get clicks. They've decided DL is a racist airline and intentionally waited til they were over a certain race and income demographic to dump fuel. It doesn't have to make sense, it still sells.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Teachers sue Delta

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-a...ay-2020-01-17/
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Good. That captain needs to be canned and have his certificate pulled.
If he's canned, the ATC controller should be canned too. He was using a double negative which was against policy and confusing. Note: I don't think either deserves to be canned with what we know right now.

Controller: OK, so you don't need to hold or dump fuel or anything like that?

Pilot: Ah, negative.
The "negative" of "don't need to", is that you "need to". Sadly very few outlets are reporting this exchange and that ATC is investigating it internally.
crank1225 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:33 am

You know I will say, if, God forbid, the plane had crashed and dumping the fuel had saved hundreds of lives, yet still caused the same problems to those effected by dumping of the fuel would we have found it acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating dumping fuel over residential areas, or seemingly lying about it, I am just curious if the outcome of the emergency (plane didn't crash) changes the reactions to the fuel dump?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
If he's canned, the ATC controller should be canned too. He was using a double negative which was against policy and confusing. Note: I don't think either deserves to be canned with what we know right now.

The "negative" of "don't need to", is that you "need to". Sadly very few outlets are reporting this exchange and that ATC is investigating it internally.
Interesting and a very good point, I didn't pick up on that.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
More snowflake exaggeration when the real damage is the cost of laundry (or dry cleaning, but I wouldn't expect many kids and teachers in an elementary school to be wearing dry clean only clothing in warm weather).
HDQDD, cmd320 and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
You know I will say, if, God forbid, the plane had crashed and dumping the fuel had saved hundreds of lives, yet still caused the same problems to those effected by dumping of the fuel would we have found it acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating dumping fuel over residential areas, or seemingly lying about it, I am just curious if the outcome of the emergency (plane didn't crash) changes the reactions to the fuel dump?
Oh good lord. A compressor stall does not lead to a crash. It is a routine occurrence. And they followed the checklist and had the engine operating normally again. Of course you wouldn't continje the flight across the ocean but there was no pressing issue to land immediately. If they wanted to dump fuel they should have followed the regulations. They didn't. Trying to put of the blame on ATC grammar is just silly. The crew is supposed to know the requirements for fuel dumps. The poor crews of Alaska 261 and Valujet 592 were in actual danger and did a much better job of keeping ATC informed.
dav662 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.