Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paid Ticket Refund of Traveling Companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I paid for a traveling companion on the same itinerary. For circumstances beyond her control, she will be unable to make the trip. As a Platinum, will I get any consideration about getting the refund back to me, or at least a credit and what about the change fee, any breaks there ?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by danola
I paid for a traveling companion on the same itinerary. For circumstances beyond her control, she will be unable to make the trip. As a Platinum, will I get any consideration about getting the refund back to me, or at least a credit and what about the change fee, any breaks there ?
Call and ask -- DL can be pretty forgiving depending on what the circumstances are. Since it sounds like you'll still be taking the trip, they'll split the reservation, after which canceling her ticket would be the same canceling any other individual ticket and thus technically subject to rules/change fees of whatever fare you booked, but as I said there's a good chance they'll work with you, whether that's waiving the change fee for future use or a refund. (If alternate dates would work then they might accommodate that too.)
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They may waive the change fee depending on the reason she cant travel. However the credit will only be usable for new ticket for her. You cant use it for yourself.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:43 am

If you had used your SM to pay for her ticket you can get a full refund by T-72 as a PM. For a paid ticket only she can use the value in the future.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
By chance if it's before midnight in some DL time zone on the calendar day after the day the ticket was purchased, call DL ASAP and try to cancel under the 24 hour free cancel policy. Otherwise the funds will become a nontransfarrable DL credit in the traveling companion's name. On most domestic tickets, a $200 change fee is then deducted when the credit is first used.

If it's an award ticket, the miles will be returned to the source account and taxes/fees refunded to the original (credit card normally) means of payment. For DM/PM accounts (source of miles, regardless of the traveler's status), the $150 cancel/redeposit fee is waived, but T-72 is the deadline to cancel award tickets without all miles being lost (but DL agents can make exceptions).

Refundable tickets or those that are refundable with a fee would give the credit to the original source of payment, which would probably be the OP's credit card.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if you have travel insurance (either through the credit card you used to buy the ticket or because you purchased a policy), you can usually get a refund if the cancellation is a covered reason.
Beyond that, the comments above about a change fee (which DL *may* waive) and non-transferable credit are correct.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, if you have travel insurance (either through the credit card you used to buy the ticket or because you purchased a policy), you can usually get a refund if the cancellation is a covered reason.
Beyond that, the comments above about a change fee (which DL *may* waive) and non-transferable credit are correct.
No travel insurance bit you opened up the credit card possibility, as I used the AMEX Reserve card. I will have to check if that purchase is valid for automatic coverage. Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.