LAX-HND, A350 to 777

Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

LAX-HND, A350 to 777

Just noticed. Not much news about the change. FYI anyone hoping to go on the A350.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I see advantages and disadvantages. People complain about the lack of center section airvents in D1, but to me the bigger disadvantage of the A350 is the lack of center overhead bins in D1. The suites seem the same otherwise.

IIRC most 777s don't have both PS and C+.

Of course, there is the coolness factor of the mood lighting and the cockpit instrumentation on the A350.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Date

When did it change? I don't have access to flightaware premium which shows older info.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see advantages and disadvantages. People complain about the lack of center section airvents in D1, but to me the bigger disadvantage of the A350 is the lack of center overhead bins in D1. The suites seem the same otherwise.

IIRC most 777s don't have both PS and C+.

Of course, there is the coolness factor of the mood lighting and the cockpit instrumentation on the A350.
I believe all but 2 of the 777s have been refurbed and now have C+, PS, and D1 suites so this is a net positive (and I believe the other 2 are currently in the shop getting refurbed so chances of getting them are slim to none). Plus all 772ERs have been refurbed and I believe that's all that's needed or LAX - HND (they don't need the LR like they do for JNB or BOM).

This change was announced when they announced the new HND routes and SkyClub at the end of last year (DL press release: https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...customers-2020).

Assume the switch is at least partially due to the 2020 Olympics and the likely significant LAX - TYO traffic for the Olympics.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
When did it change? I don't have access to flightaware premium which shows older info.
Looks like DL6/7 switched to B777 in the last week of October.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
I believe all but 2 of the 777s have been refurbed and now have C+, PS, and D1 suites so this is a net positive (and I believe the other 2 are currently in the shop getting refurbed so chances of getting them are slim to none). Plus all 772ERs have been refurbed and I believe that's all that's needed or LAX - HND (they don't need the LR like they do for JNB or BOM).

This change was announced when they announced the new HND routes and SkyClub at the end of last year (DL press release: https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...customers-2020).

Assume the switch is at least partially due to the 2020 Olympics and the likely significant LAX - TYO traffic for the Olympics.
When did they start adding C+ to the 777 that already had suites add? I thought they were holding off till all 777 at least had suites.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
When did they start adding C+ to the 777 that already had suites add? I thought they were holding off till all 777 at least had suites.
They announced last year and all the refurbs over the past year have been 4 cabin (Y, C+, PS, D1) refurbs. The 777s currently in SIN are the last 2 that weren't in that set-up.

https://news.delta.com/tailored-trav...eriences-march

It's reflected on DL.com -- here's a random LAX - HND in a few days:

Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
IIRC this was part of a larger network decision to re-focus 777 TPAC flying in LAX (where there is still a 777 pilot base). LAX-SYD / PVG / HND / CDG are all flown with the 777 now, and the A350s are retreating to SEA / MSP / DTW / ATL.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
IIRC this was part of a larger network decision to re-focus 777 TPAC flying in LAX (where there is still a 777 pilot base). LAX-SYD / PVG / HND / CDG are all flown with the 777 now, and the A350s are retreating to SEA / MSP / DTW / ATL.
I was on two separate LAX-PVG flights on the A350 last year (within 3 months of each other) that were canceled for mechanical issues. While I was probably just super unlucky, I cant say Im displeased to be riding the 777 to PVG this week.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I've flown both the A350 and the B777 LAX-HND and there isn't any difference in the Suites that I've seen. I've been in window seats so the storage issue didn't affect me. The last couple of trips the B777s all had both PS and C+.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ttuna3
I've flown both the A350 and the B777 LAX-HND and there isn't any difference in the Suites that I've seen. I've been in window seats so the storage issue didn't affect me. The last couple of trips the B777s all had both PS and C+.
As I mentioned in the 777 refurb thread (see photo) I think there's a tiny amount (3-6 inches maybe) of extra space against the side wall on the 777 that isn't there on the 350 (but I've only been on the latter once so I could be wrong about that). It doesn't widen the useable seating area but it's possible to stash smallish things there even with the seat in flatbed mode.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Before the A350 arrived, MSP had been operating NRT with the 777 (and of course much earlier with the 747, RIP), with the 777 also appearing on AMS and CDG during high season.

Last summer MSP had suites on the HND, ICN, and CDG nonstop routes and now for winter it's the A350 to ICN (in rotation with the LAX-ICN route) and 777 to HND, both of which tend to park overnight at MSP and do quick turns in Asia, as one would expect. MSP also has the A330 on some TATL flights and uses the 767 to LHR as well as other (primarily AMS) routes at times that need less capacity.

I'm surprised that DL uses such a variety of wide bodied aricraft at MSP. On these international routes, the crew are almost always all MSP based.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
As I mentioned in the 777 refurb thread (see photo) I think there's a tiny amount (3-6 inches maybe) of extra space against the side wall on the 777 that isn't there on the 350 (but I've only been on the latter once so I could be wrong about that). It doesn't widen the useable seating area but it's possible to stash smallish things there even with the seat in flatbed mode.
When I've flown in suites in a variety of window seats, I don't see any difference in the space between the console on the window side (or what I think of as my duvet and pillow storage area) on the 777 versus A350.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I've flown in suites in a variety of window seats, I don't see any difference in the space between the console on the window side (or what I think of as my duvet and pillow storage area) on the 777 versus A350.
Got it-- my only 350 trip was a year ago and my 777 trips were more recent so I'm sure I just forgot
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
I’m curious if the cabin crew on the 777 strictly enforce overhead bin ‘sharing’ in D1. Most rollaboards don’t neatly fit standing on its side wheels-in first. Whereas it does on the A350. And if there’s center bins, then there must be almost a 1:1 ratio of bin per D1 passenger???

I have never been on the DL 777, but have been on the 777 of many other airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.