Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Premium Select versus Virgin Atlantic Premium

Delta Premium Select versus Virgin Atlantic Premium

Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Upgrades from PE to UpperClass/or Delta One for TATL flights cost 25K miles if upgrade space is available. It used to be fairly easy to get upgrade award space on AF or VS (before DL offered PE) but I’ve had no luck in recent years.
Couple of additional questions regarding the above.

The VS A330-300 flight from ATL to LHR in Premium is coded a “G” fare. The Upper Class “D” fare ticket on the same flight is over $5,000 more. How does that translate to only a 25,000-point upgrade?

Also, a more general question, what is the difference in the various Premium/Premium Select fare codes. When looking at flights I am seeing “G” and “P” fares for Premium/Premium economy on Virgin Atlantic and Air France, while the Delta Premium Select fares are “A”.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eventualpilot
Couple of additional questions regarding the above.

The VS A330-300 flight from ATL to LHR in Premium is coded a “G” fare. The Upper Class “D” fare ticket on the same flight is over $5,000 more. How does that translate to only a 25,000-point upgrade?
If a D fare was the lowest available fare class on that VS flight, there wouldn't be an available upgrade at that point. It might clear close to departure if there were unsold seats. But I wonder - are you pricing that as a one-way fare from ATL to LHR? If so, that $5k fare wouldn't be particularly relevant. You might find a round-trip or open jaw fare that books into "I" or "Z" for much much less.

Also, a more general question, what is the difference in the various Premium/Premium Select fare codes. When looking at flights I am seeing “G” and “P” fares for Premium/Premium economy on Virgin Atlantic and Air France, while the Delta Premium Select fares are “A”.
For one, different airlines use different letters for different classes when they market flights. DL uses P/A/G, with P usually the most expensive and G the cheapest. Virgin uses W/S/H/K. AF uses W/S/A.

If you see a P/A/G fare for premium economy on Virgin, it's probably because you're looking at a codeshare that's marketed by Delta (it is being sold with a DL flight number) but operated by Virgin.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by eventualpilot

Everything you need to know is in this thread, but in short these are old-style "bucket availability required fixed price" upgrades, not new style "pay the difference in miles" upgrades.

It's just the pricing made available for a given flight. I have a DL itinerary coming up booked in A on the outbound and G on the return because the outbound flight is more popular and they're only selling the more expensive buckets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.