Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is delta too cheap to stock sick bags?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by strickerj
Oh I wasn’t aware of that; my experience has only been in the U.S. lately. Still, the fuel consumption argument is a red herring - the marginal fuel consumption for 1.5 kg on a 70,000 kg aircraft is negligible; many others things could be jettisoned and create a much bigger impact. I’d also say there’s very little administrative overhead for them since they only have to be replaced when they’re used. It’s cheap insurance against a major cleanup causing a delay during turnaround.
It's a marginal thing, absolutely. But if it's not needed just get rid of it.

Re Europe, sick bags are also gone from many (most?) EU flights.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Originally Posted by mridley2
On multiple flights over the last few months I have noticed very alarming behavior: No sick bags in the backseat pocket. How can Delta possibly think this is a good idea?

Now I have been sick on a plane exactly once in my life and luckily I did have a sick bag. But every time I sit down I check for the sick bag. Usually the bags are there except for the last few months. I always ask FA's for sick bags and receive the same response. We don't have any sick bags on the plane. I'll find a plastic bag for you.

Last night on JFK-PHX DL 2209 before the boarding door closed we had a sick passenger in main cabin. Apparently the sick not only got all over the passenger but also over the entire row of seats. I feel terrible for the person who got sick but I blame delta for not providing adequate supplies to handle this type of situation.

I will file a complaint to delta even though this did not affect me at all. Delta needs to do better in this regard. IMMEDIATELY!
All over the passenger and an entire row of seats and the plane still took off?

One time on LAX-AUS this summer someone puked in the isle and it was dark out and I almost stepped in it until a girl told me to look out. The F/A's were slow to clean it up too.

But yeah I see the bags every now and again but it's pretty spotty. Personally if I'm going to get sick on a plane it's not going to fit in that tiny little bag.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jfulcher
Sometimes it's unexpected. My daughter is a great example - on a ATL-BOS flight a few months ago she was freaking out she was going to get sick. She's been on a dozen flights before and never had an issue. It's cheap insurance for the other passengers around. It was during takeoff so I couldn't get up and the FAs couldn't at that point either. Thankfully she didn't spew all over but based on your idea why have a lavatory to pee in? Use the bathroom before your flight.
Your daughters case is a great example of why businesses never make many required product and service changes, someone always turns up and find "one what if" example where a feature would have been used. Sounds like she didn't need it after all...
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
There are a few people in this thread that I hope I am sitting next to the first time I get unexpected motion sickness on a turbulent flight.
ijgordon and The doomed like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
There are a few people in this thread that I hope I am sitting next to the first time I get unexpected motion sickness on a turbulent flight.
Ah so it's not happened to you yet either
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Why it’s good they have bags:

I’ll save you the in between photo... gruesome.

Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Not sure if Delta reads the post-flight surveys but I decided to write this...

Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Not on my flights. I always check every seat in my row if I can't find one in my seat.
-----------
Nothing wrong with that but are you willing to share it or hand it over to the guy, gal or kid next to you who starts heaving ?......it all usually happens in the blink of an eye.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
VERY grateful for the multiple available sick bags for the person on my JFK/SFO flight this morning/afternoon who was having panic attacks and repeatedly getting sick.

also grateful I wasn’t her seat mate.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by The doomed
Let's take some approx numbers for Delta.

5000 flights a day X 160 seats on a plane = 800,000 sick bags per day.

9g each = 7,200kg of sick bags being flown around the world each day

2,628,000kg of sick bags a year, needlessly. Same for in flight sales.

A lot of waste. A lot of fuel. Marginal gains.
I agree completely with this. Along those lines...

5000 flights a day X 160 seats X estimated weight of fluid in each passenger bladder at the time of boarding (say 30 grams) = approximately 8,700,000 kg of excess fluid being carried around a year, needlessly. Same for other, um, items we carry around.

We could make sure everyone makes a pit stop immediately prior to boarding to save those millions of kilos needlessly being carried around.

RealHJ and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by carneye

5000 flights a day X 160 seats X estimated weight of fluid in each passenger bladder at the time of boarding (say 30 grams) = approximately 8,700,000 kg of excess fluid being carried around a year, needlessly. Same for other, um, items we carry around.

We could make sure everyone makes a pit stop immediately prior to boarding to save those millions of kilos needlessly being carried around.

DL should install an x-ray at the gate and do not allow any pax to boat whose bladder, stomach or intestines are in any state other than empty. "Sorry, empty 'em out first and try the next flight."
And of course then no food or drinks aboard, to keep it that way and conserve the weight.
Then there will be no need for air sick bags.
And DL can charge extra on each ticket for "complementary" Weight Watchers membership for the duration of the flight.

....if it's not obvious to someone, this is obviously meant in a sarcastic tone, in tune with the poster that I was quoting immediately above...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Hey flyers. I have the good news to share! I flew JFK STT on DL 465 this week. Upgrade to 1B at the gate. Guess what? I had a sick bag in the seat pocket. So all of my complaining clearly paid off. LOL. JK.

seriously the flight was bumpy. And service was interrupted at least twice per Pilot instructions. Nobody got sick (that I know of).

P.S. I took that sick bag with me. They will be my new best friend. Never leave home without it
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Indeed. I have a friend who has been collecting them from various airlines for years.
Why would someone collect such a thing, what do they do with them...so many questions. I just couldn't imagine having some friends over and being like, oh hey check out my collection of barf bags from airlines the world over....I do hope this friend at least knows that this is super weird.
Also to the OPs point, which I had never really thought about until now, really not cool for your friend to take them for their "collection". I am not surprised that absent knowing that someone used a bag on the previous flight, that the ground crew would take the time to check every seat back to make sure someone hasn't decided to take the bag, eventually resulting in someone needing the bag and not having it available.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:37 am

Hey flyers. I have the good news to share! I flew JFK STT on DL 465 this week. Upgrade to 1B at the gate. Guess what? I had a sick bag in the seat pocket. So all of my complaining clearly paid off. LOL. JK.

seriously the flight was bumpy. And service was interrupted at least twice per Pilot instructions. Nobody got sick (that I know of).

P.S. I took that sick bag with me. They will be my new best friend. Never leave home without it
I can tell you that airsick bags are not being drawn back explicitly for cost savings, however it is a side effect of the outsourcing of cleaning crews. It’s still a part of DL standards to have one in every seat pocket. The issue is understaffed, underpaid, and minimally audited cleaning crews. Typically when magazine and menu refreshes come out they’ll actually restock the airsick bags in each pocket, but they don’t actively check for them on turns (can’t blame them cleaning a 757 with 3-4 people and only 10-15 mins). If they do on overnights, I couldn’t tell you to be honest. But there is always a supply in the lavs and the lav supply kits that the FAs have access too. If you’re feeling ill, ask for a Grey Bag, it’s water tight and has a bigger capacity and opening in the unfortunate event you have to use it.
ekozie and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carneye

Great idea.
This would also stop all those pesky main cabin people from using the lav in first.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.