Is delta too cheap to stock sick bags?

Old Jan 14, 20, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Does the friend run this web site?

https://www.airsicknessbags.com/
Nope. He just likes to collect.
Old Jan 14, 20, 9:46 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Gold, Admirals Club (via CC)
It is glaringly obvious who on this thread has been airsick and who hasn’t. I sometimes just hold on to the bag during heavy turbulence because it makes me feel better. Like a security blanket.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Originally Posted by onanisland View Post
It is glaringly obvious who on this thread has been airsick and who hasn’t. I sometimes just hold on to the bag during heavy turbulence because it makes me feel better. Like a security blanket.
Good point. A little peace of mind could go a long way in helping to prevent actual sickness. I flew PHX-SEA-JFK last night in First. not a single sick bag in sight.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:42 pm

I'm curious to see if there's research showing that motion sickness is more prevalent while flying than other modes of transportation. I suspect it isn't significantly higher and that the mass distribution of barf bags is an unnecessary expenditure.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I've vomited on a plane but not since June 29, 1980.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP
I felt sick descending into Beijing from Seattle on Hainan Airlines and I know I wasn't the only one. They served breakfast right before landing, and after breakfast was served we had the most nauseating descent into Beijing. I felt like throwing up but luckily I didn't as I was holding on to the bag just in case. I saw someone throw up into a bag a couple rows ahead of me. I know other people felt sick and there were probably others that threw up too during that long descent into Beijing.
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue Gold, easyJet Flight Club
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Lots of fuel, seriously? These things weigh next to nothing compared to everything else on board. Gotta love how cost cutting (to the detriment of the customer) gets passed off as “environmental consciousness” these days.

And cheaper fares? I haven’t noticed fares decreasing since airsick bags were eliminated; on the contrary the airlines are more profitable than ever since they’ve consolidated over the last decade...
Let's take some approx numbers for Delta.

5000 flights a day X 160 seats on a plane = 800,000 sick bags per day.

9g each = 7,200kg of sick bags being flown around the world each day

2,628,000kg of sick bags a year, needlessly. Same for in flight sales.

A lot of waste. A lot of fuel. Marginal gains.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
I'm curious to see if there's research showing that motion sickness is more prevalent while flying than other modes of transportation. I suspect it isn't significantly higher and that the mass distribution of barf bags is an unnecessary expenditure.
It seems to me that 1 vomiting episode in an airplane would cost a significant amount of money to clean up when the clean up and ensuing delay is factored into the equation
CVG KY, CPMaverick and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:56 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by The doomed View Post
Let's take some approx numbers for Delta.

5000 flights a day X 160 seats on a plane = 800,000 sick bags per day.

9g each = 7,200kg of sick bags being flown around the world each day

2,628,000kg of sick bags a year, needlessly. Same for in flight sales.

A lot of waste. A lot of fuel. Marginal gains.
So how much fuel is that? And how much is the total?

How many bags are “flying around the world each day” is irrelevant. What matters is the extra weight times the distance flown, and how much extra fuel that requires. That 2,628,000 kg figure sounds like a big number (since you’re now quoting me figures per year) but it’s meaningless when it’s negligible relative to the total.
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:26 pm

So how much fuel is that? And how much is the total?

How many bags are “flying around the world each day” is irrelevant. What matters is the extra weight times the distance flown, and how much extra fuel that requires. That 2,628,000 kg figure sounds like a big number (since you’re now quoting me figures per year) but it’s meaningless when it’s negligible relative to the total.
And the time and money saved in purchasing, distribution to get them to each plane, as well as time saved with turnarounds etc. It's over 1.5kg a flight, negligible to many. But why carry it if you done need it?
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:56 pm

And the time and money saved in purchasing, distribution to get them to each plane, as well as time saved with turnarounds etc. It's over 1.5kg a flight, negligible to many. But why carry it if you done need it?
Because sometimes they are needed? The safety cards are needed less often and no one is suggesting those be jettisoned.
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
My parents have a small Cessna 172. I grab a handful from the storage supply in the lav as needed. Some airline bags are better than others. I know the JAL ones are the sturdiest and as of last time also had a closure that worked wonders.
The AS ones are plastic, as opposed to the waxed paper that most use.

I've thrown up a number of times over the years and now take meclizine (Bonamine/Less Drowsy Dramamine) before flying but I still keep an extra bag or two in my carry on just in case. Came in handy when my dear wife came down with heat sickness in a Tokyo cab a while back. No mess to clean up or be more than slightly embarrassed about.
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:55 am

Because sometimes they are needed? The safety cards are needed less often and no one is suggesting those be jettisoned.
Arent they? Already gone with alternative provision on serveal EU airlines for the reasons I've mentoned above re sick bags.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:25 am

Arent they? Already gone with alternative provision on serveal EU airlines for the reasons I've mentoned above re sick bags.
Oh I wasn’t aware of that; my experience has only been in the U.S. lately. Still, the fuel consumption argument is a red herring - the marginal fuel consumption for 1.5 kg on a 70,000 kg aircraft is negligible; many others things could be jettisoned and create a much bigger impact. I’d also say there’s very little administrative overhead for them since they only have to be replaced when they’re used. It’s cheap insurance against a major cleanup causing a delay during turnaround.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:20 am

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Why expect the airline to provide a bag to be sick in? If you think you may be sick take your own bag.

No sick bags means lots of fuel saved, happier environment, cheaper fares & we save silly forum topics like this. Everyone wins.
Sometimes it's unexpected. My daughter is a great example - on a ATL-BOS flight a few months ago she was freaking out she was going to get sick. She's been on a dozen flights before and never had an issue. It's cheap insurance for the other passengers around. It was during takeoff so I couldn't get up and the FAs couldn't at that point either. Thankfully she didn't spew all over but based on your idea why have a lavatory to pee in? Use the bathroom before your flight.
pgh234 and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: