Is delta too cheap to stock sick bags?

Old Jan 11, 20, 4:17 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 43
Also if you get motion sick you have no prior knowledge before it happens. Now you might know you have a tendency towards motion sickness but you can feel perfectly fine one moment and then sick the next with no warning. I was on a flight once many many years ago that was fine until we hit a rough patch. I quickly became motion sick when prior to that the flight was going fine. It is better for everyone to have sick bags available onboard.
rjack22 is online now  
Old Jan 11, 20, 4:26 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,100
Don't we already have a "random and pathetic complaint" thread?
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 4:54 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EDI
Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue Gold, easyJet Flight Club
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
It is better for everyone to have sick bags available onboard.
Obviously many airlines disagree
The doomed is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 5:22 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,663
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Don't we already have a "random and pathetic complaint" thread?
I bet you wouldn’t think it was random and pathetic if you were sitting next to someone who barfed with no sick bag!
arunhn likes this.
CarmenOM is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 6:48 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
No bags on a very bumpy flight RDU-LGA earlier this week. I looked for one but was lucky that I managed not to hurl. I have vomited on more flights than I can count or care to remember.
Only once in my life have I felt air-sick and needed that darn bag- flying in the last row of coach on a very rough weather landing at LGA. Bounce! Roll! Shaking metal!
Just thinking about it years later and I still shiver in memory. Thankfully there was a bag in reach. Ugh.
Moyerclan is offline  
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:24 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,279
I have been on over 200 flights on DL in the last 18 or so months and not one has had an air sick bag, I dont think they have been around for a long time but i can remember that long at least
vincentharris is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:55 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
None of the do it yourself hand puppets I took out of all the seat backs on a recent Delta flight were the cause.
Are you a dhalang?
superlarry is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:48 am
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Posts: 1,840
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
While itís not seat back pocket, there is almost always a stack in the lav. You could snag one from there before the flight if you think it might be too bumpy for you. Or just keep one in your carry on under the seat so you always have one nearby.
I've seen that stack of bags but mostly it's on long haul flights. And no I shouldn't have to carry a sick bag in my carry on. While I'm at it I should bring my own food, beverage, blanket, pillow, pedicure kit, and portable seat belt. Think of the money Delta could save. I paid for a first class seat on a 6 hour flight. I think a sick bag is a small gesture for a $700 one way flight.
Redhead likes this.
mridley2 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:51 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by mridley2 View Post
I've seen that stack of bags but mostly it's on long haul flights. And no I shouldn't have to carry a sick bag in my carry on. While I'm at it I should bring my own food, beverage, blanket, pillow, pedicure kit, and portable seat belt. Think of the money Delta could save. I paid for a first class seat on a 6 hour flight. I think a sick bag is a small gesture for a $700 one way flight.
First, your snarky commentary and self-aggrandizing aside, I agree there should be a sick bag in the seatback. I was just pointing out that they are usually in the lav if you need to grab one. You are wrong about the long haul comment. I'm a 98% domestic traveler and I see them all the time. They are in the little cabinet with the tampons and pads or whatever ladies' stuff DL stocks in the lav. Nearly every flight I am on except RJs have them, and yes I do check. Some RJs stock them too. I know Compass usually does. People here can whine and complain all they want, but if the bag ain't there and you want one, put your cuticle cutter away and take care of business by going and getting one. Should you have to do it yourself, no. Welcome to real life.
The doomed likes this.
El Boocho is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:06 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,420
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
take care of business by going and getting one.
Pray, do tell, how is one to do that when the seatbelt sign is on (and likely the FAs have been told to be seated too), and when any attempt to move around the cabin would endanger injury to onself and others, not to mention make the motion sickness so much worse and harder to contain? (I.e. the typical scenario in which one needs this.)
RealHJ is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:30 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,887
T
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Pray, do tell, how is one to do that when the seatbelt sign is on (and likely the FAs have been told to be seated too), and when any attempt to move around the cabin would endanger injury to onself and others, not to mention make the motion sickness so much worse and harder to contain? (I.e. the typical scenario in which one needs this.)
Then you are too late. Take an inventory of the seat back pocket before departure. Or be prepared to puke in it if you have decent aim. Pray tell, what happened to planning ahead? Do you hit the head before boarding the flight? How about using the lav when they announce beginning initial descent. Or do you (not you specifically) pee your pants due to an inability to consider that youíll probably have to go, but may be stuck in your seat due to conditions out of your control? Those who donít plan ahead are destined to sit in their own vomit.

That said, I wonder how often people miss the bags anyway. Itís a pretty small opening to hit in rough air. Especially after the first heave and the bag is half full.

Again I agree that they should be there. Expense is minor. I just donít believe in letting other peopleís shortcomings become an excuse for my failure or misery. Especially when the event in question is foreseeable.
The doomed likes this.
El Boocho is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:13 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PIT, BWI, or IPT
Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
T
That said, I wonder how often people miss the bags anyway. Itís a pretty small opening to hit in rough air. Especially after the first heave and the bag is half full.

Again I agree that they should be there. Expense is minor. I just donít believe in letting other peopleís shortcomings become an excuse for my failure or misery. Especially when the event in question is foreseeable.
Have you ever been put into an unexpected holding pattern at about 10,000 FT for 45 minutes while attempting to land in NYC after a TATL flight on one of the windiest days of the year? I can assure you that the 20-30 people on my flight who used their sick bags were not planning on using them that day. I can also assure you that everyone on the flight was thankful those sick bags were available. The FA's made everyone pile up the used sick bags on the jetbridge after landing. Its not like those folks could have made it safely to the lav either.

I am all on the "personal responsibility" bandwagon...but come on man. Take the lavs off planes and make people plan ahead so that they don't need them. Maybe I should stop wearing my seatbelt in the car since I am a good driver and don't plan on getting into an accident today.

Separately for the OP, I have a toddler who always investigates the seatback pocket for, well, I don't know. I will say that she always finds a sick bag in there. I have not noticed this trend that you speak of.
RealHJ and strickerj like this.
pgh234 is online now  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:40 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post

I am all on the "personal responsibility" bandwagon...but come on man. Take the lavs off planes and make people plan ahead so that they don't need them. Maybe I should stop wearing my seatbelt in the car since I am a good driver and don't plan on getting into an accident today.

Separately for the OP, I have a toddler who always investigates the seatback pocket for, well, I don't know. I will say that she always finds a sick bag in there. I have not noticed this trend that you speak of.
maybe not that bad but some rough rides along the way for sure. 4hrs straight of misery over the pacific coming back from syd and its all a walk in the park for me after that.

Reread what I wrote. At no point did I suggest removing lavs. I think they should add one to most aircraft. I drink like 8 little bottles of water and a bottle of wine on most flights longer than a few hours. I use the head more than most people!

I agree with the OP that the bags are there less often than they used to be. Still Iíd say I see them 75 percent of the time or more.
El Boocho is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:50 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,420
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
Again I agree that they should be there. Expense is minor. I just don’t believe in letting other people’s shortcomings become an excuse for my failure or misery. Especially when the event in question is foreseeable.
How is if foreseeable? Turbulence can happen at any time. For any one person chance is less than 1 in 1000 (or 10,000) of needing an air sickness bag on a given flight. But when you need it, you need it somewhere where you can grab it quickly - in seconds, and with minimal motion possible.
strickerj likes this.
RealHJ is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 9:05 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DTW
Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Posts: 888
Originally Posted by The doomed View Post
Why expect the airline to provide a bag to be sick in? If you think you may be sick take your own bag.

No sick bags means lots of fuel saved, happier environment, cheaper fares & we save silly forum topics like this. Everyone wins.
Lots of fuel, seriously? These things weigh next to nothing compared to everything else on board. Gotta love how cost cutting (to the detriment of the customer) gets passed off as ďenvironmental consciousnessĒ these days.

And cheaper fares? I havenít noticed fares decreasing since airsick bags were eliminated; on the contrary the airlines are more profitable than ever since theyíve consolidated over the last decade...
strickerj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: