Wiki Posts
Search

DL MNL baggage "embargo"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
DL MNL baggage "embargo"

Hi, folks. Earlier this week, I flew NRT-MNL with three suitcases in tow. As a DM, I know I'm entitled to a third piece of luggage as part of my status. However, at check-in, I was told that DL has an "embargo" on all MNL-bound passengers, where passengers are strictly limited to only two pieces of luggage. They ultimately let me bring my third suitcase by tagging it as cabin baggage to be claimed at baggage claim.

This is the first time I've been made aware of this. I wasn't even told this when I flew MNL-NRT, but then again I was with my dad and sister, and we only had four pieces of luggage between us. Any particular reason why DL is strictly limiting MNL passengers to only two pieces of luggage, and are U.S.-MNL passengers affected by this as well?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that, unlike most other flights, most passengers check two bags on the MNL flight. This, plus cargo, might force DL to decline additional bags. There could also be seasonal variations in cargo or weather conditions which require limits for only part of the year.

Did your ticket receipt say that three checked bags would be free for you? Was there some notice of the embargo, even at the time of OLCI?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All clearly stated on the DL website. A 2-piece embargo for MNL between 12/15 and 1/15. This is one of the 18 current embargoes.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...mitations.html

I suspect that the reason is that there simply is not enough capacity to accommodate the weight & volume of luggage over the holiday period. Consider yourself very lucky that you were accommodated.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that, unlike most other flights, most passengers check two bags on the MNL flight. This, plus cargo, might force DL to decline additional bags. There could also be seasonal variations in cargo or weather conditions which require limits for only part of the year.

Did your ticket receipt say that three checked bags would be free for you? Was there some notice of the embargo, even at the time of OLCI?
It most likely is Christmas, yes.

This was an award booking that I made a few months in advance, and there was no indication of the embargo. OLCI let me check in three bags, although I had to claim my boarding pass at NRT. (This is what happens when DL doesn't allow me to store my Philippine passport data in addition to my U.S. passport data, because DL apparently needs proof I have the right to stay in the Philippines.)

Originally Posted by Often1
All clearly stated on the DL website. A 2-piece embargo for MNL between 12/15 and 1/15. This is one of the 18 current embargoes.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...mitations.html
In a section that most people probably don't read. I didn't see any notices around at MNL check-in, for one.

Originally Posted by Often1
I suspect that the reason is that there simply is not enough capacity to accommodate the weight & volume of luggage over the holiday period. Consider yourself very lucky that you were accommodated.
I look forward to ICN-MNL and the upgrade to an A339, which I imagine has much more capacity in the cargo hold than the 763. Makes me wonder if there were any embargoes back when the 744 was still flying NRT/NGO-MNL.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Akiestar
It most likely is Christmas, yes.

This was an award booking that I made a few months in advance, and there was no indication of the embargo.
There are plenty of times where situations related to your flight change between the time you make the booking and the time you actually fly. The computer bans that were enacted temporarily are a more notable example. It's on you to pay attention to whatever changes there might be related to the flight.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveholt
There are plenty of times where situations related to your flight change between the time you make the booking and the time you actually fly. The computer bans that were enacted temporarily are a more notable example. It's on you to pay attention to whatever changes there might be related to the flight.
Bag rules are based on date of purchase. They cant be changed after the fact .
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by steveholt
However, it would be customer-friendly to add a notice or popup at OLCI indicating that a variation to the normal/expected rules is in effect. (Maybe there already is one, I dunno, but given the state of DL IT my guess is no)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Bag rules are based on date of purchase. They cant be changed after the fact .
If you are talking about Sec. 399.85 (I presume, as you do that although this was a Fifth Freedom route, that the ticket itself originated or terminated in the US), the Rule only deals with fees and not what the carrier itself can transport. This was not a situation where DL attempted to collect a fee to transport a bag when the e-ticket receipt showed it as included.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
DL and NW before always had this "embargo" around Christmas due to the number of Balikbayan boxes during this time.

My NGO plan the PH Christmas visit around this as I used to bring others on my PNR for C+ seating and 3 bags each. We would head over around the end of November.

This was in place even during the time when multiple 744s were flying NRT MNL daily. It is the same baggage limit change for all major airlines flying to MNL, CX from HKG and SQ from SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.