Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Will Launch Augmented Reality Tech // Delta CES 2020 Announcements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

When will they launch everywhere I don't know but looks cool

Delta Air Lines, in partnership with Misapplied Sciences, will launch the first-ever PARALLEL REALITYTM beta experience for customers departing Detroit Metropolitan Airport this year – the first step toward a future where the airport environment itself is tailored to each customer.

https://news.delta.com/delta-will-la...dual-travelers
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Translation: we're trying to collect more data about you to sell to marketers. But, we're going to spin it to make it look like we're solely focused on improving your flying experience.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
When will they launch everywhere I don't know but looks cool

Delta Air Lines, in partnership with Misapplied Sciences, will launch the first-ever PARALLEL REALITYTM beta experience for customers departing Detroit Metropolitan Airport this year – the first step toward a future where the airport environment itself is tailored to each customer.

https://news.delta.com/delta-will-la...dual-travelers
Is it April 1st in some parallel time zone?
MCO Flyer and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I’m sure this will go over smoothly with DLs world class IT that can’t even properly design a good functional website.
BamaGirl, FBplatinum and hnewman like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:41 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’m sure this will go over smoothly with DLs world class IT that can’t even properly design a good functional website.
I find it hilarious how people love to rag on Delta IT. I book plane tickets, use the app and monitor my skymiles account all the time and I never find issues with it. The website shows me what I need to see. It may be a little laggy but who cares. I love the app and find it to be simple and easy to use which is better than I can say for other airlines. Sorry to go off topic I just think it’s funny. Rant over
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I find it hilarious how people love to rag on Delta IT. I book plane tickets, use the app and monitor my skymiles account all the time and I never find issues with it. The website shows me what I need to see. It may be a little laggy but who cares. I love the app and find it to be simple and easy to use which is better than I can say for other airlines. Sorry to go off topic I just think it’s funny. Rant over
The App is probably the only thing that DL does right within its IT. Just everything else has gone way downhill within the past few years with all of the website and reservation system “enhancements”. If you need proof about some of DL IT issues, just take a look at these recent threads on FT.

Delta Reserve Companion Ticket w/Z fares
once again, upgrade didn't work...
Hate new Delta.com booking system!!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Anyone from pmNW knows how badly DL IT sucks. Things that could be done online 20 years ago still can't be done. DL IT seems to focus on looks over usability. Even when they manage to improve something, they end up usually screwing it back up.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Anyone from pmNW knows how badly DL IT sucks. Things that could be done online 20 years ago still can't be done. DL IT seems to focus on looks over usability. Even when they manage to improve something, they end up usually screwing it back up.
Anyone who uses AA's IT knows how much DL's IT does not suck compared to its competitors.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Usually this complaint boils down to "I can't see GUC availability without calling" which is a fair point, and also something that DL clearly could have fixed by now if they wanted. That they haven't suggests they want to increase breakage by making it more difficult to use these things. On the flip side, that makes it less likely inventory will be used up, so the more advanced/persistent people (ie: FT) are more likely to find inventory.

IMO, most of the "DL IT sucks" complaints are really "DL makes business decisions I don't like" complaints, with a sprinkling of too much obsession with flashy web design at the expense of usability. The days of the website erroring out when you try to apply a voucher are mostly over, except for some real edge cases.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Delta's IT has hiccups...but TBH I'd say that the website is miles above the app (which can't process SDCs, among other issues). With that being said, I think the "looks nice trumps works well" problem is both definitely one Delta suffers from (I'm still annoyed at not being able to just slap in an airport code and go forward) and hardly unique to Delta (Amtrak adopted something similar in the last few years...though gee, I wonder where that came from?), particularly in terms of bungled mobile/desktop integrations (hence my occasional remarks about "Look at our new website, now with the reduced functionality of our mobile app!).

With virtually every company out there, I frequently want to scream "Look, get something working and then don't mess with it! I'll take butt ugly and functional over pretty and non-functional...

...but then again I would love nothing more than to be able to simply put in a few lines of code and be able to spit out pricing on any desired, legal or offered* itinerary without the "help" of a fancy GUI. Note that these issues are why I will also occasionally refer to website redesigns as a "jobs program for IT professionals".

*Not quite the same thing...DL will sometimes offer illegal itineraries for sale.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:49 pm

I would be willing to bet that some of the problem that DL as well as AA, UA, et al's IT is that fundamentally airline systems are based on tech created in the 60's-80's. Deltamatic, Sabre, Amadeus, etc. Sure they've all slapped some nice GUI's on top. But they're all basically DOS.

Part of the problem is it is about the most difficult thing an airline can do to switch GDS's, much less switch GDS's to something totally new. Then complicating things further is that even if say Delta designed a totally new GDS from the ground up...it's still going to have to "talk" to Sabre, Amadeus, etc because that's what travel agencies use..and I don't mean Barb's discount travel in the strip mall, I mean AMEX, CWT that are worth billions of corporate and high end leisure travel.

And you have to make the switch while still operating the airline because other than 9/11 there is no time that there are no Delta planes in the air or Delta tickets being sold.( I think they turned off ticket sales for the "Boxing Day" mistake fare, but that cost them millions in tickets and lost sales)

This is really just a very long winded way of saying, that I feel bad for airline IT people...they may be some of the best in the world (no clue but I"m sure they all employ some very bright people) but the true beating heart of virtually every airline GDS is ancient and limited.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
Funny thing, just got done with a Hainan Airlines flight and was just thinking how great it'd be if they had a properly functioning app like Delta's
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
This thread turned into a Delta IT sucks thread rather quickly But back on topic, the tech that delta announced today that Detroit will see first is quite honestly Tech that you'd expect from a top tier airline.

the facial boarding passes are already something delta has, I use it almost all the time I fly internationally I wouldn't mind seeing screens where with the scan of my face they know what to show me. I think its pretty cool
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Delta CES Announcement

Delta Unveils Consumer Innovations at CES 2020, The World’s Largest Tech Stage

• CEO Ed Bastian delivers opening keynote; Delta becomes first major airline to keynote and exhibit at CES
  • New human-driven innovations transform air travel into a part of your journey to look forward to
  • In-house tech and partnerships with Lyft, Misapplied Sciences and Sarcos Robotics start bringing future vision to life in 2020
On the world’s largest tech stage, Delta CEO Ed Bastian announced several technology innovations that are transforming the future of travel, rolling out this year and beyond, including transformation of the Fly Delta app, PARALLEL REALITY™ display screens, captivating entertainment options, full-body wearable exoskeletons and an AI machine learning operations platform.

Joining Bastian to outline Delta’s vision from the CES main stage Tuesday were Delta customer service and innovation leaders Sandy Gordon and Nicole Jones; Lyft Co-Founder & President John Zimmer; Albert Ng, CEO of Misapplied Sciences; acclaimed film writer and director Lulu Wang; and Hugh Evans, CEO of Global Citizen. Read their bios

Attending CES? Visit the Delta booth (#14035, Central Hall) to experience these innovations for yourself.

FLY DELTA APP EVOLUTION
Delta is transforming its popular Fly Delta app into a comprehensive digital concierge that will streamline the day-of travel experience starting with an expanded partnership with Lyft. Learn More

PARALLEL REALITY™ TECHNOLOGY
Delta, in partnership with Misapplied Sciences, will pilot the first-ever PARALLEL REALITY™ display experience, allowing many customers traversing the airport to see personalized content on a single screen simultaneously – and in their preferred language. Learn More

CAPTIVATING CONTENT + REFRAME PARTNERSHIP
Delta’s in-house startup Delta Flight Products created the world’s first wireless in-flight entertainment system, and soon the airline will test new features allowing customers to take more control over their in-flight experience - while emphasizing gender parity in entertainment offerings through a partnership with ReFrame. Learn More

OPERATIONS AI MACHINE LEARNING PLATFORM
Delta, the global leader in operational reliability, is implementing an AI-driven machine learning platform that analyzes millions of data points to help the world’s best operations decision makers further minimize customer travel disruptions. Learn More

SARCOS WEARABLE ROBOTICS
Delta is partnering with Sarcos Robotics to test the world’s first full-body, self-powered and untethered wearable exoskeleton, Guardian XO, which is designed to enhance strength and endurance while reducing the risk of injury. Learn More

GENDER EQUITY PARTNERSHIPS
As part of its efforts to seek diversity and promote inclusion, Delta will partner with the Society of Women Engineers and Girls Who Code to increase gender representation in tech roles at the airline and in the STEM workforce. Learn More

INVESTING IN SUSTAINABILITY
The theme of sustainability is woven into nearly every announcement in Delta’s keynote, demonstrating the brand’s ongoing commitment. In addition, Delta is investing in efforts that reverse the effects of deforestation in countries such as Kenya and Uganda to make all its flights to and from CES 2020 carbon neutral. The airline will also invest in verified projects to offset the carbon footprint of air travel associated with Global Citizen’s Global Goal Live: The Possible Dream campaign. Learn More

Delta CES 2020 Media Kit
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I want a Guardian XO as a Choice Benefit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.