Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Will Launch Augmented Reality Tech // Delta CES 2020 Announcements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Will Launch Augmented Reality Tech // Delta CES 2020 Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I attended CES and visited Delta’s booth. I was impressed with the “parallel reality” demo. My original posting got absorbed into another thread. While most FTers know theIr flight info before coming to the airport the ‘average’ flier might not, seeing personalized info on a display monitor may have a calming effect for a quesy flier
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
Looks like virtual queuing is now rolling out! Hopefully it helps the mob mentality at the gate, but I suspect it won't.

https://news.delta.com/delta-launche...light-boarding
It's Very, Very Delta™© SkyBranding™© to use a name like "virtual queuing" when all it's doing is displaying data that's already in the system and transmitted to GIDS screens to personal screens.

There's a usefulness paradox here - for leisure-heavy flights where lice is the worst, pax are more likely to be less-frequent flyers and not have the app, but for, say, Mon AM flights out of ATL to MSP, despite the fact that most everyone has the app, most everyone is also in Priority boarding zones due to status.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
Looks like virtual queuing is now rolling out! Hopefully it helps the mob mentality at the gate, but I suspect it won't.

https://news.delta.com/delta-launche...light-boarding
Virtual queuing is tech for tech’s sake. I just want push notifications whenever gate information is made available/changed/updated.
ekozie likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ekozie
It's Very, Very Delta™© SkyBranding™© to use a name like "virtual queuing" when all it's doing is displaying data that's already in the system and transmitted to GIDS screens to personal screens.

There's a usefulness paradox here - for leisure-heavy flights where lice is the worst, pax are more likely to be less-frequent flyers and not have the app, but for, say, Mon AM flights out of ATL to MSP, despite the fact that most everyone has the app, most everyone is also in Priority boarding zones due to status.
I am not as pessimistic about how many casual travelers will download the app. "everything" is app based these days, and the app is also the gateway to Delta Studio - it's similar for Southwest which is why I have their app.

But regardless of current numbers, Delta taking a keynote position at CES is announcing to the world "our app is worth having even if you fly once a year with us".
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PG
Is the permanent bag tag highlighted in the video an actual thing that’s coming/available? I’d love to have that, but “universal” so that it also works on other airlines.

The Guardian XO looks like a useful tool for maintenance and ramp personnel, with potential to reduce worker’s compensation claims etc.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Itd be nice if the app simply refused to show the barcode till your zone had been called. Alternatively it could penalize the passenger for trying to board early. Try to scan early and your seat is reassigned to a middle last row in Y.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: KLM
Delta's new virtual queue to notify passengers when their seat is boarding

Delta customers are now being notified when their seat is boarding – not just their flight – thanks to virtual queuing going live this week on the Fly Delta app.

Virtual queuing is akin to being notified by a restaurant with a pager when your table is ready, so you can relax close by instead of waiting at a crowded entrance or lobby.
It comes on the heels of the global airline sharing its vision for the popular Fly Delta app to transform into a digital concierge from CES 2020 – the planet’s largest tech stage.

Source: Delta Air Lines Adds Virtual Queuing to App - Premium Cabin
* This link is an online source which I contribute to
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally, can't tell you how many times I've boarded and found that my seat hadn't arrived yet!
ekozie likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM
For those that use Delta’s app, this could go a long way to helping folks understand the boarding group order, which still seems to be a challenge for many.

Of course there are still a good portion of the plane that use printed BPs so this won’t do much to help them.

Either way, nice to see Delta continuing to try and innovate!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Cool to see the innovation from DL even if minor. Will see how it works later this week.

Full DL press release is here: https://news.delta.com/delta-launche...light-boarding
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have a flight tonight and I just update my DL App to 5.2 so I’ll see how this works in a few hours.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
For those that use Delta’s app, this could go a long way to helping folks understand the boarding group order, which still seems to be a challenge for many.
Don't understand or choose not to...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:20 am

I am not sure anything will prevent people from crowding the gate 30 minutes prior to scheduled boarding time.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I would imagine the intersection of those who have the Delta app and those who don't know when they are supposed to board is relatively small.

I suppose maybe this will help ever so slightly at airports that don't have display screens that indicate what boarding group is supposed to board.

Nothing will solve the issue of people wanting to be first in their queue in order to ensure they can get an OHB slot. I would be nervous if I was boarding at the end of SKY and would definitely want to be front of the line for Main Cabin 1 to ensure an OHB slot at least remotely near my seat (and if I am in C+, I want to be closer to the front than the end of the Diamond/First line, especially if I am in the first two rows of C+). Hence.. the scrum at the boarding gate.

Back when I was mostly flying United and just had Zone 1 boarding on Delta, I had to fight not to get my bag gate checked because I was closer to the tail end of Zone 1 boarding. That reinforced my scrum behavior on future flights.
ekozie likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by tvtd
I just want push notifications whenever gate information is made available/changed/updated.
are you not getting that already? That's been in the app for a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.