DL to Focus More on Core Hubs in 2020

Old Jan 9, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Who will be using the old gates, Delta, or the other airlines?
Again, as I understand it, the airline presently using any particular gate will continue to be the one using it until the concourse that that gate is on is demolished. They will demolish one concourse at a time, starting with the remainder of E that has not already been demolished and the (old) A. Those are scheduled to be gone by the end of this year.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:53 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
Nashville-based FF's got the SM socks in the mail... and an another Sky Club expansion announced... last year.
That's pretty "focus-ish".

expecting a TATL (likely CDG) announcement at BNA sometime this year also.....will start seeing A220s and other up gauges on several routes as well
Old Jan 11, 20, 11:44 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards etc.
Welp, guess that leaves AUS with no Point to Point routes from DL, despite us getting a couple from AA (!) in a few months. Don't get me wrong, DL has grown passenger traffic here *a lot*, but it's all been by flying bigger planes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if DL has the largest average seats per flight at the airport, once you remove the intercontinental flights.

Question is, what does this renewed focus look like here? We get 7-8x 321 to ATL, and 3x 319 (up from 717) to each of DTW and MSP. I think 3x 319 to SLC too. I'd imagine that focus would indicate added frequencies, but going form 3x to 4x daily is a big enough leap that they might have to downgauge to get there...maybe we'll see A220s to the non-ATL non-coastal hubs to get to 4x, at least until they can reliably fill those flights.

For ATL, I'm guessing they can add another daily 321, maybe fixing that weird gap between ~4p and ~8p where there's nothing back to Austin (a gap that I'll be experiencing firsthand in a couple weeks coming back from BRU). I doubt they'll throw any other aircraft type on that route, as right now they have a more consistent/better hard product than competitors heading to their high-frequency hubs form here (AA to DFW, UA to IAH). At 9x daily they're just as frequent as AUS-IAH...and AUS-DFW off-peak.
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by iansltx View Post
Welp, guess that leaves AUS with no Point to Point routes from DL, despite us getting a couple from AA (!) in a few months. Don't get me wrong, DL has grown passenger traffic here *a lot*, but it's all been by flying bigger planes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if DL has the largest average seats per flight at the airport, once you remove the intercontinental flights.
I bet you'll get BNA on regional equipment, possibly a Sat-only (to start) to LAS, and flights to Florida (yields on MCO can be trash, so maybe not there given the heavy LCC competition out of AUS - but I wouldn't be surprised to see less than daily FLL or MIA, especially with LATAM growth). Depending on how AA does with SJO (either spectacularly well or atrociously with a quick pull out could make network planning take a look), I could see that too, but much, much further out.

If any slight adjustments are made to the DCA Perimeter, or exemption slots added, I'm sure DL would be drooling over AUS-DCA, but that's a different political enchilada entirely.
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
or less likely a Centurion Lounge. .
there is a 0.0000000000001% chance you’ll ever see a centurion lounge at a DL hub (except SEA) because of their marriage with American Express.
Old Jan 11, 20, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
there is a 0.0000000000001% chance you’ll ever see a centurion lounge at a DL hub (except SEA) because of their marriage with American Express.
Except AMEX is building a Centurion at JFK T4, a major Delta hub.

The Centurion will move behind security at LGA at the new CTB, which will eventually be connected airside to the new DL terminal.

Also, DL is planning a build up in MIA to feed the LATAM tie-up, which has a Centurion (though requires re-clearing security).

Oh! I almost forgot about the Centurion coming to TBIT at LAX, which will eventually be connected airside with T2 and T3.

That makes 5 of the 12 US (existing and under construction) lounges at DL hubs/focus cities when lounges open and the LATAM JV is approved.

So no, no Centurions at DL Hubs.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
I'm always baffled by these posts, which are not infrequent. I'm actually with you—will only go if I have a long layover and have to.

But I quite intuitively understand why someone would want an hour in between flights to have a glass of wine, a substantial snack (much better than cheese and crackers—one of the easiest ways to get a plate of just vegetables in an airport), and check emails or read a chapter of a novel.

And see no upside to being snotty at people who enjoy different things than I do.
I just shared my opinion, like you. So are you being snotty?
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ekozie View Post
Except AMEX is building a Centurion at JFK T4, a major Delta hub.

The Centurion will move behind security at LGA at the new CTB, which will eventually be connected airside to the new DL terminal.

Also, DL is planning a build up in MIA to feed the LATAM tie-up, which has a Centurion (though requires re-clearing security).

Oh! I almost forgot about the Centurion coming to TBIT at LAX, which will eventually be connected airside with T2 and T3.

That makes 5 of the 12 US (existing and under construction) lounges at DL hubs/focus cities when lounges open and the LATAM JV is approved.

So no, no Centurions at DL Hubs.
AMEX had no idea about the future JV when they picked MIA for a centurion lounge. Also, it's in a totally separate terminal from DL. MIA doesn't count, sorry. Both TBIT and T4 at JFK are huge international gateways and are not uniquely Delta terminals.

AMEX is clearly going after UA and AA flyers with their Centurion Lounge locations. So, I don't think it's such a stretch to say we shouldn't expect a Centurion Lounge at a DL-only hub anytime soon.
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
AMEX had no idea about the future JV when they picked MIA for a centurion lounge. Also, it's in a totally separate terminal from DL. MIA doesn't count, sorry. Both TBIT and T4 at JFK are huge international gateways and are not uniquely Delta terminals.

AMEX is clearly going after UA and AA flyers with their Centurion Lounge locations. So, I don't think it's such a stretch to say we shouldn't expect a Centurion Lounge at a DL-only hub anytime soon.
I think a safer bet is to say there will never be one at DTW, ATL, MSP, or SLC. These are Delta's fortress hubs and Amex would be throwing money in the toilet as they can shift most of those customers to the SkyClubs.
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Both TBIT and T4 at JFK are huge international gateways and are not uniquely Delta terminals.
The *vast* majority of passengers in T4 are flying DL or DL partners and would have access to the Skyclub with their Platinum card.
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by james318 View Post
I think a safer bet is to say there will never be one at DTW, ATL, MSP, or SLC. These are Delta's fortress hubs and Amex would be throwing money in the toilet as they can shift most of those customers to the SkyClubs.
One in SJC would be interesting. Focus city without a Sky Club, and UA/AA/DL in the same terminal.
worldwidedreamer and ryw like this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:23 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Well there is an Escape Lounge at MSP basically for Amex customers.
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Yeah this was my main point. But, I should've used "fortress hub" to better convey my argument.

To be honest, I don't see any non-SC lounge going into the above airports anytime soon.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:31 am

Yeah this was my main point. But, I should've used "fortress hub" to better convey my argument.

To be honest, I don't see any non-SC lounge going into the above airports anytime soon.
The "new" SLC includes a space specifically built as a shell for a club, in addition to the two SCs planned. AFAIK, no tenant signing has been announced, but I can't imagine the space staying empty for very long, and no other airline has the lift at SLC to support a club. That leaves a third party club as the only viable option.
Old Jan 12, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by ekozie View Post
AFAIK, no tenant signing has been announced, but I can't imagine the space staying empty for very long
Why is that? I can imagine it staying empty for a very long time. If someone wanted it, they would have signed up by now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: