Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How difficult was it to get Concorde awards in 2002/2003

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How difficult was it to get Concorde awards in 2002/2003

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
This is honestly my biggest travel regret of my life!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
I flew Concorde on a skymiles ticket that cost me 200,000 rt 12/23/02-12/28/02. Used up all my miles but I’m glad I did it and even got to visit the cockpit mid-flight...gotta love the French and their take on “rules”
In 2002, not sure that the rules on inflight cockpit visits applied to non-US carriers, although they might if your were flying to/from the US.
I know I spent about 45 minutes in the cockpit of a KL 777 as we crossed the Mediterranean and north Africa flying AMS-NBO.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Count me as part of the "biggest regret of my travel life" continent, as I would have had enough miles to do this and I just didn't. I'd probably be willing to pay for a Concorde flight today if an airline were ever to bring one back.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Ahh yes, the cockpit visits.
This pic was taken on our eastbound trip, just shortly after starting descent.

Even knowing what the Concorde was all about, hearing the power being reduced surprised me. We had barely finished the meal so I thought we were diverting into Greenland or somewhere with a mechanical.
Captain then announced we were approaching the coast of France so had to slow down to subsonic speed. The slower speed meant we had to descend into thicker air. We were descending from 50,000 to 36,000, would cruise at 36 for about 10 minutes then descend for landing.
Fraser, bonoman and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by CKDGM
YUL-CDG on an Air France 747-400 in international First (not sure if the La Premiere branding was in use yet)
I’m not sure if this helps but I dug up the seat maps from my YUL-CDG trip in May 2003, and first, business, and coach were branded L’Espace Premiere, L’Espace Affaires, and Tempo, respectively. I’m thinking this was the old branding?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:14 pm

Somewhere around 2000, I managed to ticket a BA DEL-LHR-JFK with the first leg in Y and the second leg in R (Concorde) all at $1200. It was a mistake fare/anomaly in the booking system that priced it all as a one-way Y.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
I couldn't get a roundtrip and flew PDX-LAX-CDG in first on a 747 for 100,000 miles in 2003. Flew the Concorde two days later from CDG-JFK with a connection back to PDX.

Almost missed my flight from Paris due to a transit strike. No cabs and ended up taking an express bus to the airport and made it with 10 minutes to spare. I asked the driver which terminal for the Concorde and he laughed and said no one flying the Concorde had ever taken his bus!!!

Most amazing aviation experience ever. The crew was hustling to finish the meal service before we landed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I think I know why search didn't reveal anything. There's a separate pre-World Perks merger Delta forum on flyertalk.com

There's one post about only 34 seats occupied but no award seats. Flew Concorde Today. No award seats open. 34 out of 92 seats occupied

Unclear if one way awards were available. There's a thread about flying Concorde one way and AF F class the other way.
Why AF has outbound Cocorde award seats but nothing to return?

Trip report AF Concorde Trip Report
I'm guessing that the Value Mags thread still exists in the FT archives. This is how many FTers pulled off Concorde.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing that the Value Mags thread still exists in the FT archives. This is how many FTers pulled off Concorde.
Oooh, value mags?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hi55us
Oooh, value mags?
I can't seem to find that particular thread via search, but the gist of it was that spending $1000 on Economist subscriptions generated enough ff points for a round trip ticket on the AF Concorde.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Awesome thread. In the mid to late 80's my father took me over to IND where the Concorde was landing. I think it was a marketing type of thing with the Concorde stopping at different cities across the US. It was pretty awesome as a kid. Never even thought for one second that you could use miles/points for a flight on Concorde so never came to my mind beginning of the 2000's. All I remember as a kid was my dad telling me that it costs $10k each way to fly on it.

Last edited by AeRoSpaceman; Jan 6, 2020 at 7:13 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:58 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
All I remember as a kid was my dad telling me that it costs $10k each way to fly on it.
and then after it was announced they were going out of service, a travel agent friend told me the price dropped to $3k each way, something about getting more people to experience it before it was gone. i had the $3k, and the week before i was going to buy the ticket i got a lay-off notice at work. bye-bye Concorde
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Dave737
and then after it was announced they were going out of service, a travel agent friend told me the price dropped to $3k each way, something about getting more people to experience it before it was gone. i had the $3k, and the week before i was going to buy the ticket i got a lay-off notice at work. bye-bye Concorde
Was going to like your post but that would have been bad. Sorry to hear that. Slightly off topic but sometime later (weeks ,months, a year or two) my father took me back out there again to watch the "Doomsday 747 E4-B" do some touch and go's and then finally land for a bit. I didn't even know what I was looking at when I saw that plane. Will never forget it though. If anyone is wondering my father worked for the DoD back in the day before his passing. I couldn't imagine how you would know that plane is doing it's rounds without "knowing".
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CAVU
Almost missed my flight from Paris due to a transit strike. No cabs and ended up taking an express bus to the airport and made it with 10 minutes to spare. I asked the driver which terminal for the Concorde and he laughed and said no one flying the Concorde had ever taken his bus!!!
My wife and I flew Singapore suites class on the a380 and we couldn’t find the check in at the airport in Singapore. Turns out there’s a separate driveway that drops you off at the suites checkin not connected to the main area. We arrived via subway. We had 6 horrified agents running across the driveway to carry our 2 bags. 😂
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Dave737
I remember that, IIRC there were big ads in the NY Times. I didn't have a pile of FF points at the time, but I probably could have pulled $3k from a savings account as a splurge. Put me in the "regrets" column.

Originally Posted by SledMonkey
My wife and I flew Singapore suites class on the a380 and we couldn’t find the check in at the airport in Singapore. Turns out there’s a separate driveway that drops you off at the suites checkin not connected to the main area. We arrived via subway. We had 6 horrified agents running across the driveway to carry our 2 bags. 😂
In contrast, when my driver missed the VS Upper Wing turnoff at LHR, our party of four had to drag our bags through the mess that is the main level check-in at Terminal 3. When I asked the agent if we could just take the elevator upstairs to check in (even the Upper/Sky Priority desks had lines many people deep) I was simply told "sorry, they might be having their own problems up there." :P (And they weren't, I later found out...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.