Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight change question...kind of complicated

Old Jan 5, 20, 4:37 pm
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,

Here are the facts-
I booked a round trip BE fare from JFK-MAD. The return flight is MAD-AMS-JFK. All of the return legs are operated by KLM with Delta flight numbers.

I purchased these flights from NY because I live in Atlanta and we don’t get good deals. I then purchased flights to get me to NY and back using SkyMiles.

My “Problem”-
My return journey will take a little over 24 hrs so I decided to WhatsApp KLM and see if there was any possible way to be put on a nonstop to JFK or even better straight to Atlanta (I am aware that this is a huge stretch but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask). They said since it was Basic Economy it was nonchangeable, etc. (side note: everything is changeable and refundable if the agent wants to help and you have a legit reason). So I ended the conversation and that was it.

Today I logged into my Delta app and looked at my itinerary to make sure everything was ok...I selected my trip and below the first 2 legs, there was a separate Madrid to Atlanta segment showing up. Figuring it was too good to be true I logged on the computer and it showed up there as well. I then called Delta to confirm that somehow that had happened. The agent I spoke to was rather rude, but explained that someone added it as a “placeholder” and that the change couldn’t happen. I pushed back a little bit and tried to understand why it would show up but not actually be changed.

basically, I am trying to understand what may have happened and if there is any way to get that change to come back. I am assuming KLM tried to make the change and it showed up, but then the Delta agent I spoke with undid the change but I honestly have no idea. I understand that I have no right to a change, but I have found Delta to be extremely accommodating to me and my family over the years with numerous changes, refunds, etc. I have no status So I can’t call and talk to the “good” agents. I plan on calling back tomorrow just to see if I can talk them into it again.

If anyone could explain what may have happened or any advice I’d greatly appreciate it. I’d love to avoid 24 hours of travel if at all possible. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott
It doesn't seem complicated at all to me. You have no grounds for a change based on the rules, and no reason to request an exception based on unexpected hardships or change of circumstances.

Unless a schedule change or cancellation arises, I personally think you should fly the itinerary you booked and allow the phone agents to devote their time to people who need help.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
The agent I spoke to was rather rude, but explained that someone added it as a “placeholder” and that the change couldn’t happen. I pushed back a little bit and tried to understand why it would show up but not actually be changed.
I don't know the technical ins and outs but the basic explanation is correct. Agents can add segments to your record provisionally, e.g. to back you up on an alternate flight during IRROPs, or to block space while they process a certificate upgrade, or in anticipation of pushing through a flight change (I don't know if these all use literally the same mechanism in the booking system). Sometimes the envisioned change ends up not being made and they neglect to clean up the record.
kjnangre likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:11 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat Ambassador
KL agent mistake. To see the new price agents add the desired segment and reprice the itinerary. Looks like they then forgot to cancel the segment. You would not be able to use it as your electronic ticket was not changed, anyway. DL agent did a right thing by releasing inventory that you couldn't use.
kjnangre and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta, Amtrak
Yeah, this isn't really complicated. You bought a BE fare, there are no changes or refunds unless Delta makes a schedule change. Delta may have been accommodating to you before, but you were likely not on a BE fare.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:26 pm

Should have looked at booking the return to WAS instead of JFK. EU-WAS fares typically permit ATL connections while EU-JFK ones do not and the fares are often similar. Assuming there's a MAD-ATL flight on your day of travel, you could have just flown non-stop to ATL and skipped the WAS segment. Doesn't sound like you'd have concerns with booking hidden city.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
As others have said, on a BE fare, you are stuck with what you booked unless there are major IRROPS and disruptions. This is a reason I always caution people not to book a BE fare and at least book Main Cabin or higher to have some flexibility.

Regarding the other segments, I have seen this before when calling in to address a Delta Schedule Change that has occurred and the agent has to rebook me on a different flight for whatever reason. Usually they appear and remain when the agent does something incorrect. I recall once seeing nine... yes nine... phantom segments from NRT-SEA. Different cabins, different seats, etc. I saw this when I refreshed my itinerary while still on with the agent. He insisted everything was fine and essentially hung up on me. I waited a half hour or so and they were still there. Called back and another agent was absolutely astounded at how messed up my reservation was. Thankfully she fixed it. So bottomline, the DL agent was correct to "clean up" your PNR.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:40 am
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer View Post
Yeah, this isn't really complicated. You bought a BE fare, there are no changes or refunds unless Delta makes a schedule change. Delta may have been accommodating to you before, but you were likely not on a BE fare.
that’s incorrect. Many of the changes have been on basic economy fares.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:45 am
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
As others have said, on a BE fare, you are stuck with what you booked unless there are major IRROPS and disruptions. This is a reason I always caution people not to book a BE fare and at least book Main Cabin or higher to have some flexibility.

Regarding the other segments, I have seen this before when calling in to address a Delta Schedule Change that has occurred and the agent has to rebook me on a different flight for whatever reason. Usually they appear and remain when the agent does something incorrect. I recall once seeing nine... yes nine... phantom segments from NRT-SEA. Different cabins, different seats, etc. I saw this when I refreshed my itinerary while still on with the agent. He insisted everything was fine and essentially hung up on me. I waited a half hour or so and they were still there. Called back and another agent was absolutely astounded at how messed up my reservation was. Thankfully she fixed it. So bottomline, the DL agent was correct to "clean up" your PNR.
Yeah so I guess the purpose of my question was just to understand why it showed up. I understand I’m not entitled to any changes, however Basic Economy tickets are changeable by agents if necessary. I have experienced it several times. One of them was a refund because I couldn’t go, one was a change because I booked the wrong dates, etc. All in all, it is possible. So that’s why I asked. I will probably ask again because it never hurts. I am not upset in the slightest if they wouldn’t change my ticket, and I basically only fly delta now because of many reasons. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:47 am
formerly jackvogt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
It doesn't seem complicated at all to me. You have no grounds for a change based on the rules, and no reason to request an exception based on unexpected hardships or change of circumstances.

Unless a schedule change or cancellation arises, I personally think you should fly the itinerary you booked and allow the phone agents to devote their time to people who need help.
I agree I have no grounds. However I don’t think I’m keeping agents from helping people. They exist to help customers who have questions about changes, etc.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
I agree I have no grounds. However I don’t think I’m keeping agents from helping people. They exist to help customers who have questions about changes, etc.
Yes, on tickets that qualify for changes. They're not there for you to keep bothering hoping one agent finally just gives in.
Old Jan 6, 20, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post

Wow that's harsh.
RDUdrifter likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Wow that's harsh.
You think? OP booked BE with a full understanding of the limitations of that ticket and with the intention of then asking DL/KLM to grant an exception because he wants the direct flight but doesn't want to pay for it
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that OP should hope for a significant schedule change as well as availability on the nonstop.
Old Jan 7, 20, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bottom line is that OP should expect to fly the BE ticket exactly as he/she purchased it: no voluntary changes whatsoever,
trooper likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: