Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is the current Delta policy on change of operating carrier allowing for changes?

What is the current Delta policy on change of operating carrier allowing for changes?

Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Question What is the current Delta policy on change of operating carrier allowing for changes?

What is the current Delta policy on change of operating carrier allowing for flight changes/refunds?

I've never had a problem getting Delta to change my flights at no charge with zero hassle when the Delta Connection carrier changes. Because of this, I look forward to Delta's ridiculousness that is Schedule Change Saturday.

Recently, I was told that they can't make a free change due to a change in operating carrier anymore. They made the change for me anyway (as I think they should have), but I got scolded.

Was I wrong? Or was the agent incorrect?

Either way, check your flights carefully, as they took a hatchet to a bunch of my flights today. Changes in timing, aircraft, operating carriers, etc. Their re-seating algorithm was especially bad today, and put me in middle seats in a few cases.

Last edited by ryandc99; Jan 4, 2020 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Moderator Note:

This post was extracted to start a new thread, rather than leaving open the 5+ year old thread here:

Change of operating carrier, refund denied

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No change. Just normal agent misinformation. DOT is clear that change of carrier, even of regional means refund must be offered.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The agent was nonetheless correct.

The DOT rule requires the carrier to refund the ticket at passenger request. But, OP was looking for a fee-free change. That is not required by DOT rules and is a matter of carrier discretion.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The agent was nonetheless correct.

The DOT rule requires the carrier to refund the ticket at passenger request. But, OP was looking for a fee-free change. That is not required by DOT rules and is a matter of carrier discretion.
DL will make a free change if it means keeping the money. While not required by DOT, I dont know of any airline that wont instead. (How fare they'll go in making that change can vary)
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL will make a free change if it means keeping the money. While not required by DOT, I dont know of any airline that wont instead. (How fare they'll go in making that change can vary)
My response was to the assertion that DOT rules required the change OP sought, not whether DL (or any carrier) would likely do so. To be clear, if done, it is done as a CS gesture, not by legal requirement.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:19 am

Did the agent tell you he could only do a refund or was he telling you he couldn't do either.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DOT says OP is entitled to a full refund, to the original form of payment. If OP desires, he/she can then purchase a new ticket, but often this means that low fare class availability is lost for the unchanged segments, so the replacement ticket can be more expensive. If the agent agrees to change the ticket without charging the change fee, as others have said this is a customer service gesture. However, often DL agents are willing to do this if you ask nicely because this can be easier than cancelling and booking the new ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by v11a
Did the agent tell you he could only do a refund or was he telling you he couldn't do either.
The agent said that he would change my flights as a courtesy, but that he couldn't change them in the future due solely due to a carrier change.

I suppose I could have asked for a refund, but I wanted alternate flights. The arrival time change turned what was initially not a great flight option into a worse flight option. The alternate flights weren't great, but they at least got me back to closer to my original flight arrival time.

It all worked out, but this is good to know for the future.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JW6130
The agent said that he would change my flights as a courtesy, but that he couldn't change them in the future due solely due to a carrier change.

I suppose I could have asked for a refund, but I wanted alternate flights. The arrival time change turned what was initially not a great flight option into a worse flight option. The alternate flights weren't great, but they at least got me back to closer to my original flight arrival time.

It all worked out, but this is good to know for the future.
If the time change was big enough, you could have asked for a refund on that basis (and probably got the change as a courtesy or time-saving device).

Some agents and supervisors aren't aware of the DOT rule about changes from one RJ carrier to a different RJ carrier and can't find the information easily in their internal documentation. I've had to insist at times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.