Wiki Posts
Search

DL vs AF in main cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
DL vs AF in main cabin

Hello, I tried to do a search “AF vs DL in main cabin” but could find nothing directly comparing the two airlines. I much prefer DL to AF, especially since I can be almost automatically “upgraded” to C+ on DL flights. I’m not sure that’s the case with AF. I also find the flight experience more pleasant with DL. The last time I flew AF was in J JNB-CDG and I was not impressed.

I am flying from/to AMM in October and tix with connecting flights CDG-USA are about $400-$600 less on AF. So my question is....what has your experience been like on TATL flights on AF in economy?

I am asking here before booking because frankly some of the PE agents are completely clueless. Two days ago I needed help booking a J class ticket to Europe. I asked the agent if she could find a DL flight with suites in J. She said she didn’t know what a suite was. So I had to explain to her the difference between a suite and a “regular” D1 seat, what the suite icon looked like, etc.

After I get some input here I will call DL about booking. Thanks in advance for your input! I feel certain this topic has been discussed before but I can’t find the info I need. Thank you again!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
AF is 10 across on the 777 which is a deal breaker for me on any heads up route where DL has something.

Have you checked to see if you can get DL metal but with those AF flight numbers at the lower price?
BenA and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
AF is 10 across on the 777 which is a deal breaker for me on any heads up route where DL has any plane
By “deal breaker” do you mean AF was a bad experience?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
AF sometimes sells relatively inexpensive upgrades at the gate on TATL flights, which Delta does not. I don’t know what the options are from main cabin. I have twice been able to get upgrades from PE to Business on AF for around $320-350, which I think is a pretty good deal for an overnight flight.
jaimemayo and andrewk829 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
By “deal breaker” do you mean AF was a bad experience?
I mean I refuse to fly a 10 across AF 777 in Y when Delta is operating the same route since DL only does 9 across on the 777. It’s too tight and I’m not even particularly large (5’ 11’’ 165)

Seat comfort is my #1 criteria and I find most of the rest to be a wash (slight edge to DL on IFE and F&B with the free Woodford)
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Where in the US? JFK? Is the A380 flight an option? In that case I would definitely do AF over DL especially if I'm saving $400-600. The AF A380 isn't good in J but in Y I would take it over a 777.
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Where in the US? JFK? Is the A380 flight an option? In that case I would definitely do AF over DL especially if I'm saving $400-600. The AF A380 isn't good in J but in Y I would take it over a 777.
To ATL. The only plane that comes up is the Boeing 737-800.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Have you checked to see if you can get DL metal but with those AF flight numbers at the lower price?
This, I've found some good bargains on DL flights when shopping on AF.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DL all the way. While DL has improved the Y service, AF service in Y and W has gone downhill.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM
I've been able to sleep 8 hrs on a 12hr AF 777 flight, while I could never manage that with Delta's 777s or A350s. I think AF's recline is just a little bit better, as well as the pitch. But, DL does have C+ on the 777s so that may negate some of AF's advantages if you're willing to spend a little extra
The food in Delta is so much better, it's not even close.
Service is about equal (both good service)

I'm a normal-sized person but the decreased width doesn't bother me as much, even though it is noticeable, esp. when you fly AF and DL widebodies back-to-back like I did
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:25 pm

If you take AF metal, the plane may not have wifi, if that matters to you...

Also, AF tends to me more susceptible to those pesky strikes vs DL.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
DL have wider seats with 767 and 777 aircraft, plus your likelihood of a C+ upgrade, makes it the better experience.

But everyone's budgets are different, I stopped flying Y over oceans so I might not be the most objective. $600 does pay for a few nights hotel, but I value my comfort in flight too
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
As a Platinum, you get economy+ seats for free on AF, so legroom shouldn't be an issue. I flew in economy on the 787 from CDG-YYZ and didn't have any issues with it. It was a day flight, so I didn't need to sleep. Most if not all of their widebodies have wifi installed now.

The remaining times I've flown in PE and the upgrades to business were relatively cheap for each segment. I've even got upgraded multiple times on AF to business due to overbooking, while it's much harder on DL metal as there's so many Diamond fliers. I prefer DL's PE over AF (unless it's the A350, which is about the same). DL also has a better movie selection.
jaimemayo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.