Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pilot came in F cabin, introduced himself and gave a brief sum-up of flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold

Flew LAS-JFK on Wednesday (Jan 1st) and was seated in F. And it was the first time I've ever seen this (although my parents told me from experience that Swiss and Lufthansa do this on Transatlantic flights to F pax).

The pilot came in the middle of the first class cabin before the FA closed the cabin door, introduced himself briefly, gave a quick summary of the route we'd take, weather and gave a few extra words (thanks for flying delta, safety is our number one priority, we'll get you there safely and quickly as possible).

I found this very very professional, we weren't delayed at all, and it was the first time I've witnessed this (I usually fly Air Canada or United in J/F). It felt retro a bit like the good old days. Maybe I got lucky and this is a regular thing on Delta? (I rarely fly Delta, mostly Delta connections).

Thought I'd share the cool experience.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by royal757
Flew LAS-JFK on Wednesday (Jan 1st) and was seated in F. And it was the first time I've ever seen this (although my parents told me from experience that Swiss and Lufthansa do this on Transatlantic flights to F pax).

The pilot came in the middle of the first class cabin before the FA closed the cabin door, introduced himself briefly, gave a quick summary of the route we'd take, weather and gave a few extra words (thanks for flying delta, safety is our number one priority, we'll get you there safely and quickly as possible).

I found this very very professional, we weren't delayed at all, and it was the first time I've witnessed this (I usually fly Air Canada or United in J/F). It felt retro a bit like the good old days. Maybe I got lucky and this is a regular thing on Delta? (I rarely fly Delta, mostly Delta connections).

Thought I'd share the cool experience.
i like it. Had it on about 10-20% of my delta flights.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:28 pm

There is a 757/767 Captain named Greg who likes doing that.
AeRoSpaceman and N102DA like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I too have experienced this a handful of times. Very nice personal touch you don’t expect to see on a US airline.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is rare but does happen 10% of the time on DL flights.

I would say it happens 50% of the time on AS flights.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
I had a flight last year, can't remember where to or from, but the Captain did exactly this and put on a little comedy show while doing it. He stated he was previous military and would get us there as fast and safely as possible. It was an awesome touch and one of the reasons I fly Delta.

PS.. Had this happen before on DL and thought it was a very professional thing but this captain was hilarious and had all of F LOL.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I experienced this on a DL flight the Sunday before Christmas.

Captain came out and spoke to F, then came to the front of Y and spoke, and finally went midway toward the back and spoke from there. This was on a 717.
ryw, andrewk829 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Use to happen often with me when I was flying RT MNL>JFK 2xs a month, a specific pilot on the 747 MNL NRT route would routinely come out and talk to the passengers on the upper deck during boarding. I rather enjoyed it.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Had it on TATL 767 from JFK. I could swear the name was Greg as well but maybe Im just being influenced by the earlier post. Ive only flown delta twice so that's 50% from my pov
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:06 am

It's an effort... I'll grant them that. Though I'm probably not the most appreciative. I don't know what I'd say eating at the captain table on the cruise. I don't know what the chef wants from me when he comes out.

At least it's an effort
mrcool1122 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Only time that's happened to me for a US carrier was Republic from DCA-CMH on Christmas.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM
Not sure why this is such a big deal.
mrcool1122 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:42 am

It's rare, but a great treat when it happens.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pfreet
It's rare, but a great treat when it happens.
If it wasn't rare, it might be annoying.
pfreet and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Had one captain last year come out into the gate area at IAD and announce that there was a “mechanical issue” with one of the wings coming apart from the fuselage. He asked for a show of hands as to how many still wanted to depart on time with the current equipment.
cmd320, hhdl, AeRoSpaceman and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.