FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Platinum and Diamond Medallion Choice Benefits (The Definitive Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2002161-platinum-diamond-medallion-choice-benefits-definitive-thread.html)

MarkP24 Oct 22, 2018 3:24 am

Which Choice Benefit Did You Choose

I saw OMAAT had a post on the varying Delta Choice Benefits and which one to choose: https://onemileatatime.com/delta-choice-benefits/

Just curious, which one(s) did everyone choose?

NOLAnwGOLD Oct 22, 2018 4:38 am

Usually I go for the $200 delta vouchers for everything aside from the GUCs, since I have a SC membership already. I think though, I might be doing the 20k PM miles and the 25k DM miles instead for the upcoming years. Part since I've been overshot DM this year and hope to earn that relatively easily for 2020, then burn miles for J flights. RUCs seem to be hard to confirm so not likely a great benefit in the end since I prefer a sure thing like $$ off or award tickets.

MarkP24 Oct 22, 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 30342130)
Usually I go for the $200 delta vouchers for everything aside from the GUCs, since I have a SC membership already. I think though, I might be doing the 20k PM miles and the 25k DM miles instead for the upcoming years. Part since I've been overshot DM this year and hope to earn that relatively easily for 2020, then burn miles for J flights. RUCs seem to be hard to confirm so not likely a great benefit in the end since I prefer a sure thing like $$ off or award tickets.

From my limited data points, confirming a RUC upgrade for anything other than a short flight, and where I would likely get a complimentary upgrade anyway, they have less value than I initially thought. Taking the 20k Delta points may be a better option, as worst case scenario, I get 1 cent a point through the Pay With Miles program.

TommyD2 Oct 22, 2018 6:37 am

Platinum = RUCs
Diamond = GUCs, SkyClub Guest Pass, 25k miles.

I've had 100% success w/ GUCs, and probably 80% w/ RUCs.

I feel I can can more value out of 25k miles than a $200 voucher.

SDQBound Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am

Last year I lost 2 RUCs because of a flight that was cancelled and I didn't have any other eligible flight before the expiration. Tried to apply them to two flights happening after expiration, as suggested by the RUC thread, and it was a no go.

This year I selected the voucher. Might do the same for next year.

pgh234 Oct 22, 2018 10:59 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound (Post 30343290)
Last year I lost 2 RUCs because of a flight that was cancelled and I didn't have any other eligible flight before the expiration. Tried to apply them to two flights happening after expiration, as suggested by the RUC thread, and it was a no go.

This year I selected the voucher. Might do the same for next year.

25k miles is always worth more than the $200 voucher. With a DL Amex, using PWM, those miles will be worth a minimum of $250.

jaimemayo Oct 22, 2018 11:12 am

I thought about taking the RUCs so I called and asked if any long domestic flights, like to HNL or LAX were available for five dates using RUCs but nothing was available. That confirmed what I have been reading here, that RUCs were really hard to redeem except for short flights. I now always chose the miles. I have chosen the gift card in the past, and that was nice, except I think miles are a better choice.

Billy Mumphrey Oct 22, 2018 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jaimemayo (Post 30343360)
I thought about taking the RUCs so I called and asked if any long domestic flights, like to HNL or LAX were available for five dates using RUCs but nothing was available. That confirmed what I have been reading here, that RUCs were really hard to redeem except for short flights. I now always chose the miles. I have chosen the gift card in the past, and that was nice, except I think miles are a better choice.

2018: RUCs for Platinum and GUCs, Gold Status Gift, and 25k miles for Diamond
2019: RUCs for Platinum and GUCs, Gold Status Gift, and Sky Club Guest Pass for Diamond

I've never let any RUCs expire, although sometimes it's possible I would have received a complimentary upgrade anyway. I recently noticed I had one left expiring in January, and no flight to use it on, but they let me apply it to a SLC-IAD flight in March where it cleared immediately. The agent didn't even want to search availability for me because she said Delta would never open up availability on a flight that long this far in advance.

Lrtalk Oct 22, 2018 11:35 am

PM: 4 RUC's
DM : 8 RUC's

So far have only had to use a grand total of one of them this year, so most all of them will expire unused, but no complaints. Upgrades have been good this year.

DALtoAAL Oct 22, 2018 11:50 am

For me, $200 travel voucher makes most sense. So that's what I have chosen for both years I've reached to PM.

josephstern Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

I think I might try the RUCs this year (and the GUCs). I've been doing more transcons where they would be quite nice. My upgrade percentage without them has been very low on LAX<->NYC, as expected.

SDQBound Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 30343312)
25k miles is always worth more than the $200 voucher. With a DL Amex, using PWM, those miles will be worth a minimum of $250.

Agree. But in my case, DL Amex is not an option and any redemption from my home airports would cost a lot in fees. Any Ex-CDG redemption costs over 100 Euros, any ex-SDQ redemption costs over $100. So using the $200 voucher is the next best option.

NotHamSarnie Oct 22, 2018 5:26 pm

2019: DM: gifted gold, GUCs, SC membership
PM: $200 travel cert

2018: exactly the same!

TheHorta Oct 22, 2018 8:37 pm

My wife is about to hit DM this year all on her own, just by flying with me on a handful of international itineraries so we actually get to see each other on occasion.

We both have AXR cards, and I choose guest access for one of me benefits, so we have that covered. Naturally, we’ll both have PM RUCs and DM
GUCs selected, but that leaves two benefits for her and one for me left to select. Since I no longer see the “FO Bag Caddy” benefit option (WTH Delta?!), all I have left to select from is a half-pack of Big Red chewing gum and a signed William Shatner autobiography.

I’m really struggling here.

double_black77 Oct 22, 2018 11:58 pm

DM: Gift Gold Status, GUCs, SC Guest Pass
PM: 20000 Skymiles