Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Platinum and Diamond Medallion Choice Benefits (The Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Direct link to the Choice Benefits selection page: https://www.delta.com/en_US/skymiles...hoice-benefits
(click on the text in the red background that says "SELECT YOUR CHOICE BENEFITS")

NOTE: see Delta changes/devaluation to GUC Program -2022 (Only 1 Class of Service Upgrade) for important information on changes to Upgrade Certificates (mainly Globals but Regionals are affected as well)

For the 2020 Medallion Year (status earned in 2019), you receive one Platinum Choice Benefit (CB) upon reaching Platinum Medallion, and in addition three Diamond CBs upon reaching Diamond Medallion. You may choose these benefits individually at any time during the Medallion Year, so you might choose one Diamond benefit (such as Sky Club membership) immediately and wait to choose your Platinum benefit and other Diamond benefits until you need them.

All benefits must be selected by the end of the Medallion Year (Jan 31, 2021 for the 2020 Medallion Year)

Platinum Choice Benefits
  • 4 Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
  • 20,000 bonus redeemable miles (RDMs)
  • $200 travel voucher
  • $200 Tiffany gift card
  • gift Silver Medallion status to another person

Diamond Choice Benefits
  • 4 Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs) *OR* 8 RUCs *OR* 2 GUCs + 4 RUCs (upgrade certificates may only be chosen once)
  • Sky Club individual membership
  • Sky Club executive membership (allows 2 guests in addition to the member) as an upgrade from individual membership (this can be combined with an individual membership selection by using 2 Diamond CBs)
  • Sky Club guest pass (allows 2 guests in addition to the cardholder if you have access via Delta Reserve or non-Skymiles Amex Platinum credit cards)
  • 25,000 RDMs
  • $200 Delta travel voucher
  • $200 Tiffany gift card
  • gift Gold Medallion status to another person

Expiration Dates, Other Considerations, and Related FlyerTalk Threads

Roughly speaking, there are three classes of Choice Benefit:

Choose as early as possible:
These will end at the same time no matter when you choose them, so you're best off choosing them immediately (or for gifted status, Feb 1 if the recipient had that status or higher for the preceding Medallion Year).
  • gifted status
  • Sky Club membership
  • Sky Club guest passes
  • Global/Regional Upgrade Certificates starting with the 2022 Medallion year
Choose as late as possible: upgrade certificates (GUCs and/or RUCs), Delta vouchers. These expire 1 year after selection, so if you choose them in June they will expire much earlier than if you choose them in December (or the January ending that Medallion Year).

Choose whenever (keeping in mind the Jan 31 deadline for choices): redeemable miles, Tiffany gift cards. These do not expire (AFAICT in the case of the Tiffany cards).

Regional and Global Upgrade Certificates
  • Expire one year after selection, so ideally you should wait until you want to apply one before you make this selection (but note the overriding deadline for selecting all CBs as noted above)
  • Starting with the 2022 Medallion Year, Upgrade Certificates expire at the end of the associated Medallion year. The example from DL's web site is:
    For example, if you reach Diamond Medallion Status on August 1, 2022, then you will be eligible to select Choice Benefits for your 2023 Status and any Upgrade Certificates selected for your 2023 Status will be valid until January 31, 2024, regardless of the date they were selected.
  • Usually appear in your account within a few hours after selection. Agents may not be able to see them right away, but as long as you can see them in "My Wallet" you can give an agent the 006 certificate number and the redemption code via phone/Twitter.
Related threads:
Using Regional Upgrades
The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!

Sky Club Options (Diamond only)
  • Sky Club options expire at the end of the Medallion Year (Jan 31, 2021 for the 2020 Medallion Year) no matter when the selection is made
  • if you have Choice Benefit selections pending from multiple Medallion Years, be careful which year you are selecting from as this will affect the expiration date. The DL web site will list the expiration date of the benefit before you finalize your selection, so pay close attention. If you have multiple years in play, select from the latest year for the longest validity period.
  • there is a minor technical distinction in guests permitted between an Exec Membership (two guests, or spouse and children under 21 without any limiting language) and the Guest Pass (two guests) but in practice SC agents seem to permit spouse+children (even if more than two guests) for the Guest Pass as well.
Related threads:
Diamond Choice Benefit - Sky Club Guest Pass (Consolidated Thread)

20k or 25k SkyMiles (RDMs)
  • Do not expire
  • certain Delta-branded American Express cards allow "Pay With Miles" at 1c/RDM; tickets bought that way will earn full MQMs, but earn MQDs based only on the dollar amount paid (if any). Since RDMs do not expire, this may be preferable to the voucher.

Travel Vouchers
  • Expire one year from issue, so ideally you should wait until you want to apply one before you make this selection (but note the overriding deadline for selecting all CBs as noted above)
  • travel vouchers used on future tickets will earn Medallion Qualification Dollars
  • certain Delta-branded American Express cards allow "Pay With Miles" at 1c/RDM; tickets bought that way will earn full MQMs, but earn MQDs based only on the dollar amount paid (if any). Since RDMs do not expire, this may be preferable to the voucher.

Gifting Status
  • gifted status expires at the end of the Medallion Year (Jan 31, 2021 for the 2020 Medallion Year) no matter when the selection is made. If you know this will be one of your selections, then select it immediately so it is effective as long as possible.
  • if you have Choice Benefit selections pending from multiple Medallion Years, be careful which year you are selecting from as this will affect the expiration date. The DL web site will list the expiration date of the benefit before you finalize your selection, so pay close attention. If you have multiple years in play, select from the latest year for the longest validity period.
  • status cannot be gifted if the recipient currently has that level or higher status

Tiffany Gift Cards
  • Tiffany gift card has no expiration date listed in the terms
Print Wikipost

Platinum and Diamond Medallion Choice Benefits (The Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:45 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by scruffair
brilliant! Embarrassed I didn’t think of that. The choice benefit was available so I’m good! Still will be interesting to try to find out how the new system works and if it’s actually working in the new priority
Yeah it will be interesting to see. Unfortunately it will not really be easy (or even possible) to know if it is working properly or not, especially at the lower elite tiers. But for DMs, I assume relatively few achieved the MQDs or waiver (since most "road warrior" professions are not back in full swing yet) so those who did requalify should presumably be pretty far up on upgrade lists.

I just double-checked and all of the language about upgrade priority does seem to be clear that requalified status vs. rollover status is baked into the first level Medallion status priority, as opposed to a lower priority -- that is to say, a requalified DM on a cheap fare class should still have higher upgrade priority than a rollover DM on an expensive fare class.

It is not mentioned anywhere in the language but I had also assumed that anyone with rollover status who fully qualifies for 2023 status at some point during this year could "step up" into the requalified status category, so that category may get less exclusive as the year goes on (assuming travel starts to get back to normal and lots of people fully qualify, which is not yet certain). But I guess that is not stated anywhere, so it's not guaranteed that is going to be the case.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you are PM/DM, you can tell if you are listed as fully requalified if you have the ability to select 2022 choice benefits, since people who rolled over status this year did not get new CBs (unlike last year).
in theory this is correct but in practice we've seen enough weird stuff from DL IT that I wouldn't bet money that these two thinks are absolutely linked such that seeing the CBs guarantees the upgrade priority system will properly qualify you.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
in theory this is correct but in practice we've seen enough weird stuff from DL IT that I wouldn't bet money that these two thinks are absolutely linked such that seeing the CBs guarantees the upgrade priority system will properly qualify you.
I guess maybe, but if indeed there is some behind the scenes issue, I don't know how you will ever know if you were miscategorized.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:37 am

I guess maybe, but if indeed there is some behind the scenes issue, I don't know how you will ever know if you were miscategorized.
right. it's essentially two different issues.

1) how do I know that I met the requirements (existence of CBs verifies this)
2) how do I know that the DL system understands that I met the requirements (nobody knows)
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum

2) how do I know that the DL system understands that I met the requirements (nobody knows)
Has anyone considered the idea of us just crowdsourcing data to get a sense of how it's working? I remember years ago when United switched to the unlimited comp upgrades someone created a whole online spreadsheet type thing where people could input each flight experience and it aggregated the upgrade percentage across all users. You could then filter by routes, status, fare class, etc.

In this case it wouldn't even need to be that elaborate. Even if we just all posted status (earned or rollover), fare class and upgrade clear vs final waitlist position we could pretty easily see if it's generally working or not!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scruffair
brilliant! Embarrassed I didn’t think of that. The choice benefit was available so I’m good! Still will be interesting to try to find out how the new system works and if it’s actually working in the new priority
Also on CB check your DM 2021 benefits since it updated the Sky club to expire in 2023 versus before January it was at 2022. I wasted one choice from my DM 2022 choices for it then noticed it when I did my 2021 picks.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by troyintn
Also on CB check your DM 2021 benefits since it updated the Sky club to expire in 2023 versus before January it was at 2022. I wasted one choice from my DM 2022 choices for it then noticed it when I did my 2021 picks.
?? That's not what I'm seeing, and even if you did see it I wouldn't count on it. It's clearly the policy that SkyClub CBs expire at the same time as the relevant status, so 1/31/22 for 2021 CBs. Right now my 2021 CBs say "All Delta Sky Club selections are valid through January 31, 2022" and 2022 CBs say "All Delta Sky Club selections are valid through January 31, 2023".
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM

It might help to look at what qualified you in previous (normal) years. Back then to qualify you had to meet a) the financial (MQD) requirements and b) the MQM requirements. The financial requirements are met by either MQDs through flying or MQD waiver. The MQM requirements where just that, have enough MQMs in your account, whether by flying, CC or rollover, or a combo thereof. Why should it be any different this year? So if you met neither a) nor b) you are a rollover (Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond) member. It seems simple, what am I missing?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by drminn
It might help to look at what qualified you in previous (normal) years. Back then to qualify you had to meet a) the financial (MQD) requirements and b) the MQM requirements. The financial requirements are met by either MQDs through flying or MQD waiver. The MQM requirements where just that, have enough MQMs in your account, whether by flying, CC or rollover, or a combo thereof. Why should it be any different this year? So if you met neither a) nor b) you are a rollover (Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond) member. It seems simple, what am I missing?
People aren't confused about how to tell for themselves whether they met the requirements, they're wondering if there will be any visible confirmation from DL that distinguishes extended from earned (since it will matter for upgrade priority) some people might like that peace of mind if there were an affirmative mention on your profile somewhere that confirmed it.
scruffair and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I could not find a definitive answer in this thread, so here's my question. If thanks to rollover MQMs from 2020 to 2021 and to 2022 I take 3 years to qualify as PM, do I get a choice benefit once I reach PM? Or is that seen as "extended status" and thus doesn't qualify? Note that MQDs don't matter for me as I get the MQD waiver. I noticed MQDs still reset every year.

In more detail, my history is:
- Qualified as GM in 2019
- In 2020 did not fly much so my GM status was extended to 2021, with MQM rollover. I did requalify as FO.
- In 2021, thanks to the MQM rollover and MQD waiver I requalified as GM.
- Now in 2022, again thanks for MQM rollover and MQD waiver, and planned flying and credit card spend, I will qualify as PM.
- Once that happens, would I get a choice benefit?

I'm actually not so sure I'm happy with this. If extended status and full MQM rollover ends for 2023, I might fall back to FO as a result. I fly mainly international so lounge access is the biggest benefit for me being a GM. Don't hardly do any domestic flying so I don't care about complimentary upgrades much (C+ is only marginally better than regular Y). But so it goes I guess.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by robert4travels
I could not find a definitive answer in this thread, so here's my question. If thanks to rollover MQMs from 2020 to 2021 and to 2022 I take 3 years to qualify as PM, do I get a choice benefit once I reach PM? Or is that seen as "extended status" and thus doesn't qualify? Note that MQDs don't matter for me as I get the MQD waiver. I noticed MQDs still reset every year.

In more detail, my history is:
- Qualified as GM in 2019
- In 2020 did not fly much so my GM status was extended to 2021, with MQM rollover. I did requalify as FO.
- In 2021, thanks to the MQM rollover and MQD waiver I requalified as GM.
- Now in 2022, again thanks for MQM rollover and MQD waiver, and planned flying and credit card spend, I will qualify as PM.
- Once that happens, would I get a choice benefit?

I'm actually not so sure I'm happy with this. If extended status and full MQM rollover ends for 2023, I might fall back to FO as a result. I fly mainly international so lounge access is the biggest benefit for me being a GM. Don't hardly do any domestic flying so I don't care about complimentary upgrades much (C+ is only marginally better than regular Y). But so it goes I guess.
Yes, if your accumulated MQMs (roll over from 2020 + roll over from 2021 + accrual in 2022) gets you to 75,000, you will earn PM and get a choice benefit. In addition, unless they make a change later in the year and tweak the roll over rules again, then hitting PM will consume those 75,000 MQMs and you would only roll over anything in excess of that number - same as how it worked pre-pandemic.

If it's going to be close, you might consider holding just shy of 75,000, taking Gold for 2023, and rolling over nearly enough to get you to silver for 2024.

edit to add: "extended status" refers specifically to Delta simply gifting you your current status for another year. It is completely separate from "rollover". As an example, I earned Diamond organically in 2019. In 2020 (like many others) I flew quite a bit less and only qualified at Platinum level (had the miles, missed the spend). Delta extended my Diamond status into 2021 even though I hadn't earned it. In previous years that would have caused me to drop to PM. In 2021 I was able to organically qualify for DM again (even without the accelerators), so I will be an "earned DM" for 2022 rather than an "extended DM". Does that help?

Last edited by Qwkynuf; Jan 10, 2022 at 1:26 am
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

edit to add: "extended status" refers specifically to Delta simply gifting you your current status for another year. It is completely separate from "rollover". As an example, I earned Diamond organically in 2019. In 2020 (like many others) I flew quite a bit less and only qualified at Platinum level (had the miles, missed the spend). Delta extended my Diamond status into 2021 even though I hadn't earned it. In previous years that would have caused me to drop to PM. In 2021 I was able to organically qualify for DM again (even without the accelerators), so I will be an "earned DM" for 2022 rather than an "extended DM". Does that help?
Yes, you explained perfectly. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I received the PM email from Delta, but don't see where you make the choice of benefit. Should it come up automatically in the app, or do you have to look for it somewhere?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I received the PM email from Delta, but don't see where you make the choice of benefit. Should it come up automatically in the app, or do you have to look for it somewhere?
There's a link to the page in the body of the email. Alternatively, Google "Delta Choice Benefits" and it will return the link in the search results -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 10, 2022 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Originally Posted by xliioper
There's a link to the page in the body of the email. Alternatively, Google "Delta Choice Benefits" and it will return the link in the search results -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Also if you log in on delta.com, go to My Skymiles, then on the left under "Related Links" there should be a link "Choice Benefits".
kobyjones21 and Goodoldflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.