Search

Another seat change with no reason

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Angry Another seat change with no reason

Booked a flight over 6 months ago, and picked one of the few 'decent' aisle C+ seats since the equipment is a 739. Flight is next week and today I get a seat change notification email stating that my seat was reassigned due to a duplication. Contacted DL and was told due to a schedule change I was moved.
Sorry, but this 'schedule change' is on the order of minutes and now I was moved to 10C on the 739, which is the first row of C+ behind F and so the monitors are in the seat which means hard/unmovable armrests and narrower seat width. Not only that, the notification email said that I could be kicked out of this seat again if they need it to accommodate pax with special seating needs.

Of course DL had no valid reason as to why I was moved. Why do they do this crap? Its obvious that somebody at DL kicked me out and gave my seat to another pax and stuck me in a garbage seat on this crap plane, even though I've had the same seat for 6 months.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
10C is the best Y seat on the plane. Agree that seat changes are annoying but you lucked out on this one.
FBplatinum, bubbashow and Spiff like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
10C is the best Y seat on the plane. Agree that seat changes are annoying but you lucked out on this one.
I have a very strong preference for aisle seats, but I am going to disagree with you (slightly) and say that 10A is the best Y seat on the plane - the window and curve of the fuselage give a tiny bit of extra shoulder room while not exposing you to aisle traffic. 10C gets my second choice. There is still miles of legroom, and it's even possible to get in & out without needing the middle and aisle pax to get up
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:39 pm

10C is a great seat!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
While I don’t think 10C is a crap seat, I also do find the in-seat monitors annoying for the mere reason you have to stow them for takeoff and landing. Whether or not we think 10C is a good seat is beside the point. Delta switched OP from a seat he liked to another seat he didn’t want. While that’s never happened to me before, it certainly sounds pretty annoying.
gooselee and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whats particularly annoying is the lack of a valid reason... heck or any reason. Saying my seat was moved because of a schedule change is total BS, since that minor time change of a few minutes to the schedule occurred a couple months ago when C+ was still mostly empty.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Whats particularly annoying is the lack of a valid reason... heck or any reason. Saying my seat was moved because of a schedule change is total BS, since that minor time change of a few minutes to the schedule occurred a couple months ago when C+ was still mostly empty.
agreed. you were given a BS excuse. I would politely push further. Call back to an agent and ask them to further clarify. supervisor and HUCA if necessary.

Also, what seats where you in originally? There are not many "good" seats on 737-9 so.. yeah. what exactly have you lost?

and are you traveling alone or with companion? or multiple companions?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could the OP's original seats have been those designated for passengers with special needs? That could be a legitimate reason for moving the seats, although it sounds like OP was moved into some of these special needs seats rather than out of them.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Maybe just me, but I've always thought 10C was the best seat on this awful plane.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2
agreed. you were given a BS excuse. I would politely push further. Call back to an agent and ask them to further clarify. supervisor and HUCA if necessary.

Also, what seats where you in originally? There are not many "good" seats on 737-9 so.. yeah. what exactly have you lost?

and are you traveling alone or with companion? or multiple companions?
No excuse is needed. Seat selection is never guaranteed. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for this happening. There's plenty of semi-legit, and plenty of BS reasons.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No excuse is needed. Seat selection is never guaranteed. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for this happening. There's plenty of semi-legit, and plenty of BS reasons.
Also a reason that having C+ as its own class of service (as opposed to a premium seat selection like AA) stinks. They can move you around and stick you in a middle seat, but I know I'd rather be in the last row aisle seat rather than a C+ middle. And with DL that isn't easy/possible to accomplish. On AA you'd just change seats and get a refund for the MCE fee.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:19 am

Aircraft type could have also been swapped out and then back in causing a seating shuffle. I've had that happen before
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was originally in 12C, which appears to be one of the other few tolerable seats. From what others are saying, 10C is a good spot. I just dislike the solid armrests and monitor being in seat, and really did not like the text in the notification email that said this seat is also subject to reassignment in case of a special needs pax. Last thing I want is to have to worry about or get burned by DL reassigning me at the gate to some middle in C- for a 6hr flight.

Same aircraft since I booked about 6 months ago. I also monitor my flights regularly for seat changes and schedule changes. The only change was the flight number changed a couple months ago along with arrival time by 15 min. My seat did not change at that time, and C+ was very open as well. Currently it is showing W0 with only a couple middle seats unassigned.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
I was originally in 12C, which appears to be one of the other few tolerable seats. From what others are saying, 10C is a good spot. I just dislike the solid armrests and monitor being in seat, and really did not like the text in the notification email that said this seat is also subject to reassignment in case of a special needs pax. Last thing I want is to have to worry about or get burned by DL reassigning me at the gate to some middle in C- for a 6hr flight.

Same aircraft since I booked about 6 months ago. I also monitor my flights regularly for seat changes and schedule changes. The only change was the flight number changed a couple months ago along with arrival time by 15 min. My seat did not change at that time, and C+ was very open as well. Currently it is showing W0 with only a couple middle seats unassigned.
There's numerous ways a seat duplicate can exist, and numerous reasons why the system will run a resetting . that aren't apparent.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the OP's original seats have been those designated for passengers with special needs? That could be a legitimate reason for moving the seats, although it sounds like OP was moved into some of these special needs seats rather than out of them.
10B/C and 14D/E are the seats reserved for passengers with disabilities on the 739.

This must have been a manual re-shuffle because - as far as I know - Delta's computers won't ever automatically reassign anyone to 10B/C. While this was about a year ago so perhaps things have changed, I've had equipment swaps from the 738 to a 739 which ended up with a significantly oversold C+ cabin where people were left without a seat assignment but 10B/C still remained free until the gate agent manually assigned them. The fact that a smaller plane - the 738 - has 70% more C+ seats than the 739 is a rant for another thread.

Reservation agents can move you into 10B/C in advance but only if you are already in the C+ cabin (i.e. they are physically unable to upgrade you or buy you into those two seats) and you will get the same warning about passengers with disabilities when you do so.

I agree with OP that this is frustrating. I had a stint where I kept losing my seat due to the phantom A321 config that lost a row of seats - although unlike OP I was assigned to a less desirable seat than a better one. I realize that "better seat" is subjective, but who really cares about the fact that the IFE is on a stick? Admittedly I don't use IFE anyways, but even if you do, you only lose it for like 10 minutes each flight. Doesn't really matter on a transcon, especially when the seat itself is 10x better than 12C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.