Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Duke787
Well, I'm saying I cleared at the gate so it was irrelevant in the end. Then I'm saying the odds of there being 10 DM/PMs ahead of me at T-120 was highly unlikely based on the date / time / route / number of C+ seats open. And them I'm going on to say that the UG window opening up over the weekend has caused weirdness for me in the past and I seem to clear far less when the window opens over the weekend vs. other day so of the week all else being equal.

I'm not at any point asking you to agree or disagree with my statements or validate them in any way, I'm expressing my own perspective.
While it certainly seems like you should have gotten upgraded at T-120, my recent LAS-SEA trip was similar. I ended up being in 10th or 11th of about 25 as a PM. Either a lot of DMs on the route or PMs with higher fare class. And although my flight had a ton of empty C+ seats, there weren't any UGs until maybe an hour before boarding commences.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
While it certainly seems like you should have gotten upgraded at T-120, my recent LAS-SEA trip was similar. I ended up being in 10th or 11th of about 25 as a PM. Either a lot of DMs on the route or PMs with higher fare class. And although my flight had a ton of empty C+ seats, there weren't any UGs until maybe an hour before boarding commences.
I just looked an it appears that most LAS-SEA flights are operated on 738s which have 6 rows of C+ (36 seats). So while you may see in the app that there are 25-30 C+ seats remaining (which seems like a lot), there’s a good chance that the other 10 or so seats already taken are other DMs/PMs who have higher priority. Also since LAS is a leisure destination, there are more than likely lots of couples traveling, meaning that 1 DM could be taking up 2 F seats.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
PM, no reserve, T fare:
SAN-MSP (321) 6 of 16 for 1
MSP-STL (739) cleared at window
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
My friend who is a new Silver just got upgraded ATL-LGA on a Wednesday morning at the window 😮
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
My friend who is a new Silver just got upgraded ATL-LGA on a Wednesday morning at the window 😮
Was it the 6am departure out of ATL? I could definently see it as that flight isn't timed for many connections except red-eyes and is usually not full at all mid-week.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
10 for 16 so far this year. PDX origin. The other 6 failed to upgrade and I was stuck in C+.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Was it the 6am departure out of ATL? I could definently see it as that flight isn't timed for many connections except red-eyes and is usually not full at all mid-week.
Yep thats the one and he was coming off a redeye...still shocking for a SM to clear on this route.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yep thats the one and he was coming off a redeye...still shocking for a SM to clear on this route.
I got a Friday afternoon ATL-LGA in 2011 at a FO. I think some of the business heavy routes if you catch them at odd times can still be relatively easy due to cabin size on some of the aircraft and the light loads.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
LAX-JFK 2/15/20 Platinum Medallion, Reserve Card, U Fare

Cleared complimentary upgrade to Delta One during boarding process just as pre-boards were being called. After checking in the day before I was #5 out of about 34 on the waitlist with 6 open seats. The next morning I was #4 of 35 on the waitlist with 8 open seats.

I switched this year to Delta from United. United does not offer complimentary upgrades on the LA-NY route so this was a nice change for me. Also, as a Platinum on United I was rarely so high up on any waiting list so that was a big surprise. Obviously there were few Diamonds on my flight.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:28 pm

2018:
GM:
Wednesday DL5977 DFW-LGA cleared to First T-72
Thursday DL3722 LGA-DFW cleared to First T-72

PM:
Monday evening DL5426 PWM to LGA cleared to First (+companion) T-120
Friday evening DL2918 JFK to ATL cleared to First (+companion) T-120
Friday evening ATL to EWR cleared to First at gate
Saturday evening LGA to FLL cleared to First at gate
Thursday morning LGA to GSP cleared to First T-120
Thursday evening GSP to ATL cleared to First T-120
Thursday evening JFK to FRA op-uped to D1 (+ companion)

2019:
Friday evening ORD to LGA cleared to First T-120
Flew mostly LGA to BNA for the rest of the year so decent upgrades to First but nothing else noteworthy
​​​

DM for 2020:
​DL1773 (New Year's Day) BDA to JFK cleared to First at gate + companion
DL724 (Friday night) LGA to TPA cleared to First T-120 + companion
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Not sure if this exactly the right place to ask, but didn't want to start a new thread. My GF and I are traveling SEA-JFK-ZRH and vice versa on April 7th-15th. We booked the international legs into Prem. Select, which means C+ on the SEA-JFK and JFK-SEA legs, both of which are flown on the D1-equipped 752. When looking at the reservation on DL.com, the two domestic segments are showing as "not complimentary upgrade eligible", despite the fact that neither of the two flights have actual D1 service. I'm a PM, so should theoretically be eligible for these seats at 120 hours, correct? It is my understanding that only the true Delta One domestic flights are held until 24 hours out, rather than the domestic FC service on a D1-equipped bird which should be an eligible segment. Am I missing something or is the website just confused? If the site is incorrect, how could I request this to be fixed?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Some traveling on split PNRs to start the year

PM:
Friday evening MSP-DTW 321, cleared at the window
Friday evening DTW-LEX CR9, cleared at the gate
Monday evening LEX-DTW-MSP (CR9 to 739) both cleared at the window

No status but Reserve card (same flights outbound)
MSP-DTW cleared to C+ (10D) at the gate, ~16th or so for F
DTW-LEX cleared to C+ 24h in advance, something like 4th for F
Sunday LEX-DTW cleared to C+ at 24h, 10th for F
Sunday DTW-MSP not even close - 12th for 0 in C+ and 37th for F
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR

Safe to say I will not get Comfort or FC on flight 2076 tonight! (GM on L fare)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
GM (running list, excluding Intl and paid F)

BWI - DTW -- Upgrade to F at T-72 (T Fare)
DTW - BWI - Upgrade to F at T-72 (U Fare)
SAT - ATL - Upgrade to F at T-72 (T Fare)
ATL - BWI - #8 of 19 for 3 (C+ at T-72)

3/4 for the year
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
3/7 BOS-EWR cleared at Gold window.

3/3 for the year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.