Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:29 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
SDQ-ATL - Cleared at the window
ATL-DCA - 18/49 for 0 seats in F and 4 / 25 for 0 seats in C+. SDC to earlier flight as there were plenty of Y seats available.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL, UA, B6
JFK-SJC I was 46/49 as a FO with a card. 2 open F seats. Needless to say I did not get it. Plane only had 150 people on it, so I guess it was at least 1/3rd elite. Does not bode well for future upgrades.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:21 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bunsofsteel
JFK-SJC I was 46/49 as a FO with a card. 2 open F seats. Needless to say I did not get it. Plane only had 150 people on it, so I guess it was at least 1/3rd elite. Does not bode well for future upgrades.
This will change at the end of the month.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
1/6 PDX-ATL red eye upgraded T-46 or so. 1/7 ATL-SJU upgraded at T-30 min. Suspect a lot of last minute cancellations due to earthquake and power issues. I am GM with companion. Little excitement with a go around in final due to an aftershock.

Last edited by williwaw; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:34 am

FO, plat card, T fare.
Currently 29/29on an A220 with zero seats open, so, barring several simultaneous disasters, not expecting anything.
Surprised that I'm dead last though.

Last edited by bunsofsteel; Jan 10, 2020 at 5:21 pm
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:33 pm

I'm doing way better in January than I usually do:

1/2 PDX-SLC Medallion
1/2 SLC-FAT Medallion
1/3 FAT-SLC Medallion
1/3 SLC-PDX Gate
1/6 PDX-ATL RUC
1/8 ATL-PDX RUC
1/15 PDX-SEA Medallion

That's 7 for 7 so far. I have a 2nd flight on the 15th that didn't get the upgrade at the 5 day window, so that one will go to the gate. Worst case, by the middle of next week I could be 7/8.

Last year, I was 11/15 for the whole month of January. This year, looking at the flights that are already booked, I am likely to go 12 or 13 out of 14.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium
Typical gold medallion Monday flyer taking a Thursday trip (1/9)... MSP-ATL T fare cleared first around 48 hours before departure and ATL-GGT S fare cleared at 72 hours. Might not see another 2 first class upgrades the rest of the year.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
3/3
CLE-JFK C+ FC at 120
JFK-AMS C+

3/12
AMS-JFK C+
JFK-DTW C+
DTW-CLE C+

3/13
PIT-ATL C+
ATL-PDX C+

3/17
PDX-DTW C+
DTW-PIT C+

3/24
CAK-ATL C+
ATL-LAX C+
LAX-HNL C+

3/30
HNL-LAX C+
3/31
LAX-ATLC+
ATL-CAK C+

7/7
CLE-ATL C+
ATL-AMS C+
7/8
AMS-ATH Not Eligible

7/28
ATH-CDG Not Eligible
CDG-BOS C+
BOS-CLE C+

Last edited by Wimsta; Feb 27, 2020 at 7:58 pm
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by bunsofsteel
FO, plat card, T fare.
Currently 29/29on an A220 with zero seats open, so, barring several simultaneous disasters, not expecting anything.
Surprised that I'm dead last though.
I mean FO on a T I'm not surprised. Only FOs on X, V, Award and Pay with Miles would be lower. Delta plat doesn't even factor. Only Delta Reserve gets considered and even then would only be against other FOs on a T.
bunsofsteel likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:07 am

1/14 FO V Fare using pay with miles/money SLC->JFK
C+ 14/19 for zero F seats. First upgrade!
Plane looks pretty empty -- 48 seats left
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
1/19. ATL-DCA early afternoon X fare. UG to C+ on purchase. UG to F at 5 days and about 20 minutes.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
My SEA-JFK flight yesterday on a D1 752 had 61 people on the UG list! I ended up buying the last seat and got a great price of $254, well worth it for the lie flat on a long transcon.

As a funny contrast, my next flight, JFK-FLL on an A321, was an easy UG st 5 days, with a few others getting upgraded before we left with 4 empty FC seats! Probably one of only two mainline 1k+ mile flights I've ever been on with empty FC seats.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
I am a newly minted Diamond. Tomorrow I fly ATL - RSW. Up until Monday, Expert Flyer showed 2 revenue seats in F, and I was offered an upgrade for $179 for this segment. F is sold out now, DL's prerogative. What is surprising to me is that 14 hours before departure I am #8 of 47 on the F upgrade list with 0 available. I did not clear into Comfort+ until this morning. There are still a number of seats for sale in coach. Of the 4 segments on this trip, I have cleared 2 of them into F, the segment above is not going to clear and one segment, RSW - ATL early Sunday morning is still pending for upgrade. Coach remains with plenty of seats. Was it worth 179 to upgrade one segment, nope. But I am surprised that Diamond status on a Thursday morning flight would fare no better than #8 on the list, especially as more passengers will check in the upcoming hours. Is this experience of being some ways down the upgrade list an outlier for a non-transcon flight, or should I expect more of the same?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
I am a newly minted Diamond. Tomorrow I fly ATL - RSW. Up until Monday, Expert Flyer showed 2 revenue seats in F, and I was offered an upgrade for $179 for this segment. F is sold out now, DL's prerogative. What is surprising to me is that 14 hours before departure I am #8 of 47 on the F upgrade list with 0 available. I did not clear into Comfort+ until this morning. There are still a number of seats for sale in coach. Of the 4 segments on this trip, I have cleared 2 of them into F, the segment above is not going to clear and one segment, RSW - ATL early Sunday morning is still pending for upgrade. Coach remains with plenty of seats. Was it worth 179 to upgrade one segment, nope. But I am surprised that Diamond status on a Thursday morning flight would fare no better than #8 on the list, especially as more passengers will check in the upcoming hours. Is this experience of being some ways down the upgrade list an outlier for a non-transcon flight, or should I expect more of the same?
In 115 domestic flights in 2019, my lowest position was 6th, and that happened twice - on a SLC-DEN in January I was 6/40, and in April I was 6/44 on an ATL-PDX flight. Both of those were for 0 available. I was 5th four times (2 for 0, 2 for 1), 4th three times, and 3rd four times. I did not get any of those upgrades, and all had either 0 or 1 at the gate. Interestingly, I was #2 seven times and only got the upgrade once. I was 1st on the list 9 times and got every one of those. All of the remaining flights were Medallion upgrades prior to checkin.

This year I am 10/10 so far, with 8 at the window, 1 gate, and 1 battlefield.

So the net of all that would be that I would be really surprised to find myself that far down the list unless it was a NYC-SFO/LAX and I was on a L/U/T fare.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Monday I took my first flight of the year ATL-PTY. I was #3 in the UG list, at t-24 there were 0 seats available. I had an exit row seat so I was good with that. I had put in my preferences to UG to C+ if an aisle became available. well, about an hour before boarding I got upgraded to C+ window. When I went to the GA to complain he said that the system did it and my exit row was given away. I told him I wanted an aisle, he went to the system and started looking and said there were no more aisle seats and I could board last to see if there was a no show.
Boarding started and just decided to board didn't want it to chance and be in the back. it's only a 3:35 hr flight so no big deal. When he scanned me at the gate he apologize again for the "system error" and I let him know that I was not pleased with this change. I get to my seat, an older couple took their seats. almost everyone had boarded when a woman comes and says to the older lady, "you are in my seat". They all take their BP and compare. Sure enough HE was, The guy got upgraded to F but just decided to move to C+ to seat next to her wife (he didn't tell this to anyone). He proceeds to tell her "just take my seat in F". She didn't hesitate and quickly went to 1C. The GA saw this happen (he was inside plane) and came to talk to the husband and he told he told him I told her she can take my seat in F. GA told him "you can't do that and she can't seat there". The GA agent looked at me and said, "you can move to F and she has to move back". I guess after the error he just decided to just move me there and not even look at the UG list. I know I was still #3 . Sorry for the guys that were ahead of me.

For the return I have already been upgraded to F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.