Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International 4 cabin equip. on domestic routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

On a 772 ATL->LAX (hopefully) and it does have some real advantages.

. The C+ upgrade books into PE seats. A huge win.
. For those unable to get the C+ upgrade, the C+ seats are available as preferred seats.
. And one can still get lucky on the D1 uprade (in my case a need a RUC to clear).

Of course equipment is always a crapshoot, but I find most often the international bird flies as scheduled as they need it to LAX.
Duke787, AANYC1981 and ryw like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
On a 772 ATL->LAX (hopefully) and it does have some real advantages.

. The C+ upgrade books into PE seats. A huge win.
. For those unable to get the C+ upgrade, the C+ seats are available as preferred seats.
. And one can still get lucky on the D1 uprade (in my case a need a RUC to clear).

Of course equipment is always a crapshoot, but I find most often the international bird flies as scheduled as they need it to LAX.
I am not sure that this is correct. On my flight (Flight 283 in early March) Comfort + is in the PE cabin, specifically Rows 20 to 25.

Main Cabin starts at Row 30; there are no seats beyond Row 25 until you reach Row 30.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I am not sure that this is correct. On my flight (Flight 283 in early March) Comfort + is in the PE cabin, specifically Rows 20 to 25.

Main Cabin starts at Row 30; there are no seats beyond Row 25 until you reach Row 30.
Row 30 is where C+ starts in the 4 cabin 777.

What you obsered is exactly what the OP is saying -- PE (row 20-25) is treated as C+ on domestic flights (including PM/DM being able to clear into it at booking pending availability as with all C+) while the rows that are C+ on international flights (rows 30 - 40) are treated as Main Cabin Preferred (e.g., same as exit row -- so all medallions including FO can select at booking plus some corporate fares).

International vs. Domestic for the 777 4 class:
D1 = F
PE = C+
C+ = Main Cabin Preferred
Main Cabin = Main Cabin

I've seen somewhat reasonable upgrade offers on LAX - ATL before too for F (in the D1 seat but normal F service) -- something around $250 which isn't bad for a lie-flat on a route just short of 2000 miles.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Edit: Delete as Duke said it better
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was already noted awhile ago --

Domestic PS Upgrades
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
77L also many days on ATL-JFK to complete the rotation from JFK-BOM service.

I have taken the ATL-LAX refubished 77L many times. Never received a complimentary upgrade as a DM on Friday night in ATL or Sunday AM in LAX. 50/50 success with RUC. One time I was #7 on the list using an RUC that was applied correctly (called twice from gate). Still, the PS hard product, especially the 2-seat bulkheads, are very nice as a complimentary UG at ticketing. Of course, no meal, just snack basket since the soft product is still domestic C+.

This flight usually books at a higher fare class for F than the neighboring flights a few months out. Also, the 77L can disappear from the ATL-LAX route for weeks at at time, often with little notice. I had one booked for May and it was downgraded already, so I ended up with a more expensive 739 F trip than I could have had on the neighboring flights at original booking.

WFBF is the rule here or take your chances with SDC if you are flexible.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:26 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
When this happens domestically, do only those in the (hard product) PS seats get the enhanced snack basket & complimentary alcoholic beverages, and those in the (hard product) C+ seats get the regular economy snack/drink offerings?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryw
When this happens domestically, do only those in the (hard product) PS seats get the enhanced snack basket & complimentary alcoholic beverages, and those in the (hard product) C+ seats get the regular economy snack/drink offerings?
That is how it SHOULD be.

Not that it really matters much. Drinks? How many coupons does everybody have. Snack basket? I doubt I will see a banana if not in F.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Row 30 is where C+ starts in the 4 cabin 777.

What you obsered is exactly what the OP is saying -- PE (row 20-25) is treated as C+ on domestic flights (including PM/DM being able to clear into it at booking pending availability as with all C+) while the rows that are C+ on international flights (rows 30 - 40) are treated as Main Cabin Preferred (e.g., same as exit row -- so all medallions including FO can select at booking plus some corporate fares).

International vs. Domestic for the 777 4 class:
D1 = F
PE = C+
C+ = Main Cabin Preferred
Main Cabin = Main Cabin

I've seen somewhat reasonable upgrade offers on LAX - ATL before too for F (in the D1 seat but normal F service) -- something around $250 which isn't bad for a lie-flat on a route just short of 2000 miles.
Call it whatever you like, but there is no difference in seat pitch or width starting with Row 30, through the rear of the airplane. Also, good luck with convincing a FA that you are entitled to complimentary drinks or the “enhanced” snack basket if seated in Main Cabin, or If you prefer that part of “Comfort+“ beginning with Row 30.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Call it whatever you like, but there is no difference in seat pitch or width starting with Row 30, through the rear of the airplane. Also, good luck with convincing a FA that you are entitled to complimentary drinks or the “enhanced” snack basket if seated in Main Cabin, or If you prefer that part of “Comfort+“ beginning with Row 30.
It is main cabin, so no extra service. And at 3-3-3 the width is the same.

But when the flight goes international. these seats are sold as C+ with extra pitch. I kind of assume they do not move the seats, so there really is a couple inches more pitch in these rows.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
77L also many days on ATL-JFK to complete the rotation from JFK-BOM service.

I have taken the ATL-LAX refubished 77L many times. Never received a complimentary upgrade as a DM on Friday night in ATL or Sunday AM in LAX. 50/50 success with RUC. One time I was #7 on the list using an RUC that was applied correctly (called twice from gate). Still, the PS hard product, especially the 2-seat bulkheads, are very nice as a complimentary UG at ticketing. Of course, no meal, just snack basket since the soft product is still domestic C+.

This flight usually books at a higher fare class for F than the neighboring flights a few months out. Also, the 77L can disappear from the ATL-LAX route for weeks at at time, often with little notice. I had one booked for May and it was downgraded already, so I ended up with a more expensive 739 F trip than I could have had on the neighboring flights at original booking.

WFBF is the rule here or take your chances with SDC if you are flexible.
Every time I look at booking the ATL-LAX 77L flight, it’s either sold out or there’s one seat remaining at full fare F. I’m a little surprised DL hasn’t taken the opportunity to add a few more lie-flat rotations on this route to potentially sell more premium seats.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Call it whatever you like, but there is no difference in seat pitch or width starting with Row 30, through the rear of the airplane.
According to the Delta Aircraft page for the 777-200LR (7CB), Comfort+ (rows 30-40) has 34" pitch, compared to 31-32" pitch for Main Cabin. For the ER (777) the same stats are listed, but confusingly the seatmap does not show the C+ section. However, according to this thread the conversion of the ER fleet to the new PS/C+ configuration has been completed, with only 2 LRs still to be done.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Right as I said above, on domestic the C+ seats (rows 30-40) are sold as main cabin preferred (same as an exit row in say the 757) which does not come with any added benefits but on international those seats (rows 30-40) are sold as C+ (though for international the benefits aren’t much since free drinks in all Y for international anyway).
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
It’s not necessarily fare class - every domestic fare on a route that may be serviced by a widebody has in its rules a surcharge for flatbed equiptment in F, in the ballpark of $75 to $150 (or maybe $200) depending on aircraft (granted, I haven’t reviewed every fare rule possible on DL, but this comes from a decently sized sample).

If you’re flight gets changed to an a/c not featuring a flatbed, you should be entitled to a refund of the surcharge. Alternatively, if travel time is not an issue, you could ask DL nicely to rebook via JFK/BOS/DCA, but this would require a waiver/favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.