Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight # 201 JNB to ATL diverted to JFK

Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:19 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Anyone know why it would be diverted to JFK?

Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
I wonder if it has to do with strong winter headwinds? As strange as it seems, JNB/JFK is actually shorter (7969 miles) thank JNB/ATL (8439 miles). Odd that they’re diverting so early into the flight?
SSF556 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I wonder if it has to do with strong winter headwinds? As strange as it seems, JNB/JFK is actually shorter (7969 miles) thank JNB/ATL (8439 miles). Odd that they’re diverting so early into the flight?
According to Flightstats, the decision to "redirect" the flight to JFK vs ATL happened about 2.5 hours prior to departure.
SSF556 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:40 pm

Just got an answer from Delta:
ryw and SSF556 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

We were on the JNB to ATL flight this time last week and it made it to ATL safely.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by SSF556
We were on the JNB to ATL flight this time last week and it made it to ATL safely.
This flight could have had more passengers or cargo, or the weather is different. Both could affect takeoff performance and not allow them to carry the necessary fuel in order to save weight.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Wouldn’t it make more sense to refuel in Accra or Lagos?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Wouldn’t it make more sense to refuel in Accra or Lagos?
I'm not sure they have the proper clearance to land - while Delta does normally fly there, the passengers might not be cleared there.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I'm not sure they have the proper clearance to land - while Delta does normally fly there, the passengers might not be cleared there.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the passengers will have to do US immigration and customs at JFK. Considering that point and JFK is a mini "Delta hub", could individuals ask for a flight from there to their final destination (assuming there are flights from JFK)? Or if someone's final destination is NYC area I'm assuming they could just disregard the JFK-ATL flight.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:57 pm

The way airlines often work is they depart with enough fuel but not enough fuel to meet regulations. They officially will stop (meeting fuel requirements) but never really plan to stop. When they reach near that point, they will recalculate and meet the fuel requirements.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nas6034
I'm going to hazard a guess that the passengers will have to do US immigration and customs at JFK. Considering that point and JFK is a mini "Delta hub", could individuals ask for a flight from there to their final destination (assuming there are flights from JFK)? Or if someone's final destination is NYC area I'm assuming they could just disregard the JFK-ATL flight.
I would hope Delta would allow passengers to disembark at JFK and route them to their final destination. For instance we were on the JNB to ATL flight last Sunday. I would be ok with diverting to JFK if they rebooked me on a JFK to DTW flight which was my final destination. But if they made the passengers divert to JFK and then continue to ATL and then to DTW I would not be happy about that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:08 pm

expertflyer flight status still has it going to ATL, looks like a 48 min pitstop for fuel (no disembark), departs JFK 730 (probably will be late) arrives ATL 10:00ish?

FLT INFO 201/29DEC-30DEC
LOF ARR DEP ETA ON IN ETD OUT OFF ACF☨
JNB 855P 950P 945P 1000P 77L
JFK* 648A 730A
ATL 715A☨1 1158A 1000A* 77L
QXM 759P
flightaware doesn't have the flightplan for this flight (theres a flightplan available for yesterday's DL201), but it also agrees on new segment for DL201 for 07:10am JFK-> ATL 09:50

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL201

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 29, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SSF556
I would hope Delta would allow passengers to disembark at JFK and route them to their final destination. For instance we were on the JNB to ATL flight last Sunday. I would be ok with diverting to JFK if they rebooked me on a JFK to DTW flight which was my final destination. But if they made the passengers divert to JFK and then continue to ATL and then to DTW I would not be happy about that.
Might be a bit of a mess dealing with all that checked baggage, even if it's all tagged to the ultimate destination. I suppose they could tell you that you could go direct but your bag wouldn't, and that you'd ultimately have to get it yourself at the airport (or pay for home delivery).
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Might be a bit of a mess dealing with all that checked baggage, even if it's all tagged to the ultimate destination. I suppose they could tell you that you could go direct but your bag wouldn't, and that you'd ultimately have to get it yourself at the airport (or pay for home delivery).
no checked luggage. I would ask to get off in JFK. I have been diverted because of weather to Nashville and they allowed passengers off the plane if Nashville was their final destination.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Getting off at JFK has nothing to do with DL. Instead it's a US CBP issue. Except in very extreme circumstances CBP will require everyone to remain onboard and continue to ATL. They may allow extra crew and food/drink to board, but rarely will they allow the plane to disembark and clear .
CPMaverick likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.