Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2020 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2020 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
If I recall correctly DL is the only one of the big three that serves meals on domestic flights after 8pm (besides exception flights).
This is a relatively new change. The ~9pm ATL-SEA definitely didn’t previously provide meals, for example - a gaping hole for a westbound - but now it seems to. Neither did any red eyes, but real meals seem to be making an appearance now; I received one on SEA-BOS last month, for example.

I applaud this. Now if only we could get them to plug the 600-900 mile hole...
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rjack22
I have a flight leaving Kona, Hawaii that lists dinner. It leaves at 10:00 PM and goes to LA. Really don't want dinner at that time of night but its listed on that flight.
So then don't order it?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ATL-BOG is soon getting official Delta One service and year round 763 flat bed equipment.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
ATL-BOG is soon getting official Delta One service and year round 763 flat bed equipment.
I guess a modified Delta One service similar to the domestic version on JFK-LAX/LAS and the other domestic Delta One flights.
JFK-LAS is scheduled for 6 hours. ATL-BOG is scheduled for 5 hours.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:59 pm

DL 372
NAS-JFK

Roast beef sandwich or Grilled Chicken Grain salad. Of the few grains I'm familiar with, I had no idea what this was (leaning towards quinoa) and neither did the FA, but it tasted decent. Embedded with red/yellow/green peppers, it surprisingly had flavor and paired well with the chicken. Desert was a hard cookie that made sure your teeth/dentures worked.

Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sspontak
I guess a modified Delta One service similar to the domestic version on JFK-LAX/LAS and the other domestic Delta One flights.
JFK-LAS is scheduled for 6 hours. ATL-BOG is scheduled for 5 hours.

Level of service is mostly about market conditions, and much less about time of flight. Recall that that when DL first introduced the LAX-SFO shuttle, all pax on the plane got a small wrap or other fresh snack and free wine and beer--on a 50 minute flight. It would not surprise me if they offered the type of service you suggest, but it would not be due to time, it would be about the product that they think will make the particular market the most profitable.

Also keep in mind that many pax will be connecting in ATL, so a premium pax could be traveling on DL for much longer than 5 hours.
sspontak likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
DL 372
NAS-JFK

Roast beef sandwich or Grilled Chicken Grain salad. Of the few grains I'm familiar with, I had no idea what this was (leaning towards quinoa) and neither did the FA, but it tasted decent. Embedded with red/yellow/green peppers, it surprisingly had flavor and paired well with the chicken. Desert was a hard cookie that made sure your teeth/dentures worked.

Looks like couscous to me, which isn't a grain at all. Its a pasta.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Moyerclan
Looks like couscous to me, which isn't a grain at all. Its a pasta.
I think it's bulger wheat. It's cheap (DL likes cheap when it comes to meals), and easy to flavor, and would reheat well in the ovens as drying it out does not make it totally inedible.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have experience with meal service on morning DeltaOne departures, which looks to be a "brunch"? I'm specifically considering the ~9am GIG-JFK, but I presume early-ish westbound TATL departures from Europe would be similar.
Pre-order options are Banana Crepes, Grilled Chicken Breast, Mozzarella Omelet, and a chilled plate with marinated prawns (and quail eggs (!), smoked salmon, and other stuff), so you have a choice of breakfast-y or lunch-y options.
But I suppose I'm more interested in what the accompaniments are -- the typical seafood starter/soup/salad? Or some combo of cereal/yogurt/fruit/smoked salmon? What about cheese and full desert cart?
And then is the second meal any more substantial than what you get on a "lunch" daytime TATL?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Anyone have experience with meal service on morning DeltaOne departures, which looks to be a "brunch"? I'm specifically considering the ~9am GIG-JFK, but I presume early-ish westbound TATL departures from Europe would be similar.
Pre-order options are Banana Crepes, Grilled Chicken Breast, Mozzarella Omelet, and a chilled plate with marinated prawns (and quail eggs (!), smoked salmon, and other stuff), so you have a choice of breakfast-y or lunch-y options.
But I suppose I'm more interested in what the accompaniments are -- the typical seafood starter/soup/salad? Or some combo of cereal/yogurt/fruit/smoked salmon? What about cheese and full desert cart?
And then is the second meal any more substantial than what you get on a "lunch" daytime TATL?
I actually love the AM TATL D1 Menus for the simple reason that they provide the chilled plate. They are always piled high with good quality protein. I'd suggest you go that route.

As far as second meal service, it's the exact same as those that have lunch/ dinner offerings
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tnflyer
I actually love the AM TATL D1 Menus for the simple reason that they provide the chilled plate. They are always piled high with good quality protein. I'd suggest you go that route.
Interesting, thanks. This one is described as CHILLED PLATE WITH MARINATED PRAWNS with quail eggs, smoked salmon roll filled with brie and cream cheese, arugula and walnuts, served with marinated palm hearts and mango tomato salad.
I'm leery of the quail eggs (I assume not raw?!) but it otherwise sounds...interesting.
I found a few examples of AM TATL's in the 2018-19 thread, it looks like the starter tray might be fruit, yogurt, and Balik salmon with bagel chips, and then you do get the full sundae/dessert and cheese cart. I haven't had Balik salmon since Cathay dropped their Tsar Nicolaj from the caviar service in First Class. Though I suppose they wouldn't be sourcing the Balik from Brazil vs. Europe, so maybe it's something else...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:10 pm

MCO to DTW Monday evening has a poor menu in F. Vegetarian Lasagna or Grilled Chicken and Farro Salad. Probably my least favorite I've run into.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I just got the ubiquitous Chicken Farro / Muffaletta choice combo on an upcoming BOS-ATL lunch. I'm going with the Asian Vegetarian special meal instead. I will report back.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:06 pm

DL1631
LAX-DCA

Choices were Scrambled Eggs, French Toast or Granola & Yogurt
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Any ATL-HNL and/or HNL-ATL recent photos or menus for D1? TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.