Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any way to determine fare class when not specified on booking page?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if this is a newb question, but I looked around and haven't been able to find an answer.

While looking at options on Delta's site for an international flight this summer, I see that some flights specify a fare class in parenthesis, but many do not. I can't tell for sure, but it might be that the ones lacking a fare class specifier are those where the two legs have different classes? For example, I see:

Flight 1:
Economy (X)

Flight 2:
Main
Economy

Flight 3:
Main (L)

Is there any way to tell what fare class the legs of Flight 2 are (in particular the Delta "Main" leg)? Or should I assume it's probably L like the other Main options with similar pricing?

Additionally, is there any way to find out what base fare class the Comfort+ (W) options use? Will they be based on the economy option next to them? (e.g. L)

My ultimate goal is to try and find fares which may be upgradeable to Business / D1 via SkyMiles after purchase.

Thanks
guera likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:22 pm

Book the two legs separately and see what it says?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Book the two legs separately and see what it says?
Good idea, thanks. I had tried with one-way booking but that shows radically different pricing (and fare class, it seems). However, searching for round-trip tickets through the first stop shows Main (X) for that leg, so I assume that's the best answer I'm going to get.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Click the "Fare Rules" link after pricing out an itin. The fare basis codes for the fares are shown in the rules. For main cabin coach class fares, the first letter of the fare basis code is the fare booking class. You will need a K or higher fare to upgrade with miles. Comfort+ fares use coach fare classes as the first letter in the fare basis code (they are identified as Comfort+ fares by a 'C' or 'I' in the second to last letter). As with main cabin fares, you will need a K or higher fare basis Comfort+ fare to upgrade with miles. HQK fares will require more miles to upgrade than YBM fares. You will need to call if you want to find out if there is actual upgrade bucket availability for your flights.

Forgot to mention you can use the former search page at https://www.delta.com/flight-search/book-a-flight to search for a particular fare class instead of simply the cheapest fares.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 28, 2019 at 4:50 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Click the "Fare Rules" link after pricing out an itin. The fare basis codes for the fares are shown in the rules. For main cabin coach class fares, the first letter of the fare basis code is the fare booking class. You will need a K or higher fare to upgrade with miles. Comfort+ fares use coach fare classes as the first letter in the fare basis code (they are identified as Comfort+ fares by a 'C' or 'I' in the second to last letter). As with main cabin fares, you will need a K or higher fare basis Comfort+ fare to upgrade with miles. HQK fares will require more miles to upgrade than YBM fares. You will need to call if you want to find out if there is actual upgrade bucket availability for your flights.

Forgot to mention you can use the former search page at https://www.delta.com/flight-search/ to search for a particular fare class.
Ah, excellent. Not sure why I didn't try that before, but yes getting to the final review page does display the fare class for each leg. Apparently the one I was looking at is actually V, not X, though that doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of upgrade eligibility.

Since this is international, I don't think K will offer upgrades either, and only full fares like M or Y would - is that right?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Brandon_Live
Ah, excellent. Not sure why I didn't try that before, but yes getting to the final review page does display the fare class for each leg. Apparently the one I was looking at is actually V, not X, though that doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of upgrade eligibility.

Since this is international, I don't think K will offer upgrades either, and only full fares like M or Y would - is that right?
How are you trying to upgrade? Also, are these all DL operated and DL marketed flights?

You can always call DL to ask what the fare class is or to ask an agent to put together a ticket using exactly the segments and fare classes you want, if available and "legal" for the fare rules.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HQK fares are eligible for Mileage Upgrade Awards now (it used to be only YBM fares on long haul international). The upgrade mileage amounts are not published for Mileage Upgrade Awards and you will not see any online offers for them. The only way to process them and check amount and availability is by calling. There's a wiki where people have recorded the mileage amounts that have been required at Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards. You sound like you may be confusing these with the post-purchase online upgrade offers. These are completely different and can potentially be offered on the lowest fare classes (all the way down to V), but you have no way of knowing until after purchase. The amount of miles is based on the cash upgrade offer price and can vary after purchase as the cash price varies. Also, offers will only be made if all flights are on DL metal. If there are any partner metal flights involved, the only way to upgrade will be with a Mileage Upgrade Award.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How are you trying to upgrade? Also, are these all DL operated and DL marketed flights?
Just doing some early investigations for a big trip, but wanted to consider which options might let me upgrade via SkyMiles. Yes, all delta marketed, and at least the legs in question are Delta operated.

You can always call DL to ask what the fare class is or to ask an agent to put together a ticket using exactly the segments and fare classes you want, if available and "legal" for the fare rules.
Thanks, that's good to keep in mind.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
HQK fares are eligible for Mileage Upgrade Awards now (it used to be only YBM fares on long haul international). The upgrade mileage amounts are not published for Mileage Upgrade Awards and you will not see any online offers for them. The only way to process them and check amount and availability is by calling. There's a wiki where people have recorded the mileage amounts that have been required at Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards You seem to be confusing these with the post-purchase online upgrade offers. These are completely different and can potentially be offered on the lowest fare classes (all the way down to V), but you have no way of knowing until after purchase.
Interesting. I was going on information from searches here and the (known out-of-date) "Delta fare class chart" on cwsi.net.

So the Mileage Upgrade Awards you're referring to are different from the miles-based upgrade offers that I'm used to seeing pop up in the app or on the website for domestic tickets? Interesting. That's good to know too.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Interesting. I was going on information from searches here and the (known out-of-date) "Delta fare class chart" on cwsi.net.

So the Mileage Upgrade Awards you're referring to are different from the miles-based upgrade offers that I'm used to seeing pop up in the app or on the website for domestic tickets? Interesting. That's good to know too.
Yes, they're very different.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, they're very different.
Yes, and the mileage upgrade awards were discontinued on domestic flights (and some other regions IIRC) earlier this year.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes, and the mileage upgrade awards were discontinued on domestic flights (and some other regions IIRC) earlier this year.
They're still available TATL and TPAC at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.