Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

90 Miles Away From Gold Status for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I know I can buy 1,000 MQMs but I really only need 90. Is there a way to buy less MQMs or is 1,000 the minimum? Any other recommendations for a way to hit status when I’m so close? Because of my schedule, I can’t take a quick flight before the end of the year.

Side note: a DL flight got cancelled and I was put on American so I didn’t get the miles I had planned on. Any recourse there? That would have gotten me to Gold.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by jstilley; Dec 28, 2019 at 6:01 am Reason: Updated info
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How long ago was the cancelled flight? Need more info, but high level, you should be able to claim ORC - original routing credit.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Another option is to re-route one of your existing reservations. For example, I have had many flights JFK-LAS and earned 2240 miles for each. However, on some I flew JFK-ATL-LAS and earned 2500 miles. One such itinerary would give you more than the 90 MQMs that you need.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Another option is to re-route one of your existing reservations. For example, I have had many flights JFK-LAS and earned 2240 miles for each. However, on some I flew JFK-ATL-LAS and earned 2500 miles. One such itinerary would give you more than the 90 MQMs that you need.
And I would caution that you need to be careful here as many fares require non-stop flights (this includes JFK-LAS fares other than full Y). Yes, agents may be willing to bend fare routing rules for you, but do you really want to bet your status on this? FWIW, I've personally been denied an SDC change from non-stop to one-stop on a fare that required non-stop travel (was not an outrageous request as it was switching from DTW-LAX to DTW-SLC-LAX and there was original booking class inventory on the SLC routing).

PUBLISHED RTG NYC-LAS/DL501 /TAR-DRG1 EF-17JUN19 DIS-INDEF
TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP OR DIRECT

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 28, 2019 at 6:36 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
We should let the OP respond if he/she has any further travel in 2019. Otherwise, this option would be moot.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
And I would caution that you need to be careful here as many fares require non-stop flights (this includes JFK-LAS fares other than full Y/J). Yes, agents may be willing to bend the rules for you, but do you really want to bet your status on this?

PUBLISHED RTG NYC-LAS/DL501 /TAR-DRG1 EF-17JUN19 DIS-INDEF
TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP OR DIRECT
Agreed, but in my experience they are very happy to have you fly JFK-ATL-LAS as opposed to JFK-LAS simply because those direct flights usually have less available space. In fact, connecting flights are often less expensive than direct ones for this very reason. (On one occasion, I had a reservation on an PBI-ATL flight and changed it at the airport to PBI-BOS-ATL, not only getting mucho extra miles but a slight refund on the fare.)
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Your best bet is to ask for orc for the flight you were switched over to American. Especially if the flight was recent and you didn’t try to get american miles
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM
I think the OP made it clear that he does not have time to travel yet this year.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, but in my experience they are very happy to have you fly JFK-ATL-LAS as opposed to JFK-LAS simply because those direct flights usually have less available space. In fact, connecting flights are often less expensive than direct ones for this very reason. (On one occasion, I had a reservation on an PBI-ATL flight and changed it at the airport to PBI-BOS-ATL, not only getting mucho extra miles but a slight refund on the fare.)
It's becoming less and less the case that you will find broken fares cheaper than through fares (particularly on competitive routes and with advance purchase fares). DL 21-day advance fares on JFK-LAS go for $217 roundtrip (matching B6 fares) and PBI-ATL go for $159. I'd bet a large sum of money that you can't find a broken fare combination that's cheaper than that. At any rate, OP's best and safest bet is to go with ORC credit as mentioned above.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 28, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

The flight was August 22, 2019.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by jstilley
The flight was August 22, 2019.
so you’ve called them, what did they say?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think the OP made it clear that he does not have time to travel yet this year.
You may well be right. I read it as meaning that he is already tied up with many flights and cannot fit in another.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Looks like I did already get credit for it. I was reading my account info incorrectly. Still 90 short.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by tennessetom
Your best bet is to ask for orc for the flight you were switched over to American. Especially if the flight was recent and you didn’t try to get american miles
I guess it's moot now since OP already figured out he got the credit, but just for everyone's future reference, DL officially gives you nine months to claim ORC, though I've successfully made a claim almost 12 months after the fact.

Also, whether or not OP collected any AA miles shouldn't matter. I don't think Delta would even have any way to know one way or the other.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:40 am

You're down to the wire here, just buy the miles and secure Gold for 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.