Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub complaint and follow up: Am I expecting too much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub complaint and follow up: Am I expecting too much?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The bottom line is that "I don't speak Chinese" means "I don't speak Chinese". Nothing more.
This may be the most naive thing ever posted in this forum.

The remote possibility that an employer would even consider disciplining or otherwise taking action relating to an employee for uttering those words in this context is foolish and never going to happen (unless it is by an employer wanting to pay a huge award to the employee).
Sure, I'll agree with this, but it's irrelevant to the position of there being zero possibility of racism because "I don't speak chinese" is a factual statement.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
"I don't speak Chinese" is not racist, it's a fact.
What about sarcastically saying “I don’t speak Chineeeese” while pulling the outer corners of ones eyes toward the ears and scrunching ones mouth to only show the top front teeth?

To me, it reads as if the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Its certainly possible that the nanny as a non-white/non-English speaker in the lounge was racially profiled by the agent. It certainly sounded like some sort of prejudice, but perhaps not quite stretching to racism. Not that there are clear delineations anyway.
Sandyglass likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Often1
The remote possibility that an employer would even consider disciplining or otherwise taking action relating to an employee for uttering those words in this context is foolish and never going to happen (unless it is by an employer wanting to pay a huge award to the employee).
This is the answer to my original question, and the general consensus of the forum. I fully accept the answer and know I expected too much by writing to them.

However, my “feelings” that the agent was racist still stands. I also believe delta did a poor job of investigating, probably because it does not benefit them to fully investigate it. (Or they really did a thorough job and didn’t want to tell me). We live in a country where it’s innocent until proven guilty, and I don’t have the evidence. Either way it’s time to move on. It’s been a good debate.

Last edited by Sandyglass; Dec 28, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Sandyglass
This is the answer to my original question, and the general consensus of the forum. I fully accept the answer and know I expected too much by writing to them.

However, my “feelings” that the agent was racist still stands. I also believe delta did a poor job of investigating, probably because it does not benefit them to fully investigate it. (Or they really did a thorough job and didn’t want to tell me). We live in a country where it’s innocent until proven guilty, and I don’t have the evidence. Either way it’s time to move on. It’s been a good debate.
I agree that it has been a good debate and now time to move on...
Happy New Year...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Sandyglass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.