Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Swapping my upgraded F seat with another pax in Y

Old Dec 25, 19, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United

I have an upcoming flight with a co-worker who basically never flies (no status). Per company policy, we are both ticketed in Y. Having flown this particular route/time regularly, I am familiar enough to know I have a very good chance of upgrading to F with my own status.

My co-worker on the flight has never flown F in his life, and without getting into the details, has had a rough past few months. Long story short, should I get upgraded to F, I want to swap him seats and let him enjoy F. Again, based on numerous trips, I am fairly confident in my upgrade probably.

Never having swapped seats before, so I am asking:
1) Is swapping in violation of some major SkyMiles rule? Is it violating anything with the federal regulations or otherwise that could get me in trouble? Basically, I want to swap with my coworker, but not at the risk of getting in trouble or losing my status.

2) If swapping is allowed, what is the best way to do it? Should I ask FA, GA, etc.? Should we say nothing to anyone else and just sit in each other’s seats? Again, what is the best way of doing it?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Many of us do it regularly. We get the upgrade and "give it to a wife / SO / friend/ etc. We just do it. The FA may or may not address the person by your name when choosing a meal. If there's an obvious indication that she/he isn't you, other sex for example, have them tell the FA that you gave them your seat. It isn't a big deal. DO NOT however swap back during the flight, that's a no-no.

I don't believe that there's a formal policy but this is done regularly and isn't a big deal.
trooper, Duke787 and jaimemayo like this.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you and the coworker on the same PNR or can you get the tickets together on the same PNR if they haven't been purchased yet? If so, there could be a good chance that you both can be upgraded together, although he might need to have a SkyMiles FF account number to attach to his reservation.
Old Dec 25, 19, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Shouldn’t be a problem. As stated by others have swapped with my wife before (and on more than just DL) and it’s not a big deal as long as you don’t try to switch back in flight. If the same sex, wouldn’t even bother informing the FA, just give co-worker a heads up that he should expect to be addressed as you.

If different sex, just give FA a heads up.
Old Dec 26, 19, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kavok View Post
1) Is swapping in violation of some major SkyMiles rule? Is it violating anything with the federal regulations or otherwise that could get me in trouble? Basically, I want to swap with my coworker, but not at the risk of getting in trouble or losing my status.
Yes. No.

I can see how this can be a SM rule violation, i.e. your Medallion benefit is not yours to gift out. But the rules do not actually specify. So it really depends if you want to risk it.
Old Dec 26, 19, 2:34 am

Nothing to worry about - go ahead and do it and make your coworker’s day.

Just last month traveling for thanksgiving I was upgraded and swapped seats on both flights. On the way out I was upgraded and my wife wasn’t, so I gave her my F seat and stayed in the back (Well comfort+ so not too bad). On the way back her parents were traveling with us and we both got upgraded but gave both our F seats to them and took their seats. Neither time did I or she or the in-laws say anything to any of the FAs and neither time did the FAs seem to notice or care.
Old Dec 26, 19, 5:02 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Just a data point from other airline (AY): yes, done it many times.
Usually I tell FA upfront ”I am too spoiled in these cabins and wanted to give an experience for a friend. I know it is not really allowed but I hope uou are okay with that” and always got an accepting smile from FA.
Old Dec 26, 19, 5:43 am

Same here, just did this yesterday. The two of us boarded together, told the FA about the swap, FA said "Thanks, that's a nice thing to do", and that was it.
Old Dec 26, 19, 6:34 am

I have done this with my SO and kids so many times and never even once had a problem. As long as you are not selling it to a Y passenger you should be fine.
Old Dec 26, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM, HHG, MG
I actually had a GA suggest (with a wink and a smile) to let my spouse sit in F when I got upgraded and she did not.
Old Dec 26, 19, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Thank you all for the advice. And yes they are separate tickets so no chance of combined upgrade. Again, the information and past experiences are much appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kavok View Post
Thank you all for the advice. And yes they are separate tickets so no chance of combined upgrade. Again, the information and past experiences are much appreciated.
Assuming your coworker has a SkyMiles number, you can contact DL and have them add him or her to the upgrade list. However, they'll be below Silver Medallions in priority.
bloc0102 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 26, 19, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. I would nonetheless have your colleague added to the UG list. Perhaps you will both be upgraded. One never knows.
2. Presuming that he is not, simply let the FA at the boarding door know that you have swapped. That is both a courtesy and guards against that one FA somewhere who tells you to sit in your assigned seat, in which case that is what you do.

The chances of a problem are somewhat beneath miniscule and people do this every day.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 26, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Even on AA, never been a problem, if I got the last upgrade and my wife did not.
We board together, and I just let her have my seat.. (I do let the FA at the plane door know)

And when she is happy..,. I am happy too
Old Dec 26, 19, 1:33 pm

I would love for a FA to tell me I can't swap....sorry honey, back of the bus for you!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: