Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:40 pm

Haven't waded through this entire thread, but does anyone else think it is a put-on? He has only posted 2 times and that is on this thread. What's the odds of that?
Adam1222 and Global321 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:51 pm

I find that when people start discussing politics, religion and sports; their voice levels get increasingly louder and louder as they get passionate about their viewpoints. It could very well be the OP was very loud in the bar, but was so caught up in his discussions, that he didn't realize. Add alcohol to the mix and I can see why it might be construed that intoxication was on the verge of happening.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:43 pm

I would have been so pissed off if this happened to me. If you're making a scene, sure. But just drinking x number of drinks should not matter in the least. People make scenes when they're sober!

The last 2 times I flew out of JFK to the UK, I had a few in the Virgin Clubhouse beforehand. The first time, the bartender at the Clubhouse was insisting I have another. They still let me onboard, gave me another drink, and then I slept the flight away!

I'd speak with someone in customer service, if I were you.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
1) Centurian probably correct; Pilots wife
2) Wonder what color and ethnicity op is
3) I would write detailed letter to delta
Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
At the end of the day maybe the OP was drunk I mean how often does the drunk guy start-up an obnoxious convo with someone and they personally think we are laughing with them and not in fear.
Adam1222 and pdxkat like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Gate Agent may call club to check

A few years back, I had a layover and sat in the SkyClub. I had a few drinks and headed to the gate for the last flight of the day to my destination. I got on the plane and immediately fell asleep, woke up on landing and left the plane with no incidents. The next week I was flying again and went into the same SkyClub. The bartender looked at me and said something to the effect of "Hey buddy, you owe me one!" I was like what, did I not leave a big enough tip last time. I asked for him to explain. He said last week when you left here the gate agent called and wanted to know how many drinks I served you. I told them one. He said they were going to deny boarding to you. I was like wow....I had no idea that they was any problem. I know I didn't talk to anyone at the club or the gate. And no one said a thing to me when I boarded or when I deplaned.

To this day, the bartender and I still have a little fun with it. He asks me if I have given up drinking yet.....I respond maybe tomorrow. Not sure if what he told me is the truth, but I tend to believe him. I know I kept to myself, but I am sure the gate agent could tell that I had been drinking. I am sure the GAs FAs and SkyClub personnel have to deal with it.

One who has consumed alcohol is probably not the best judge of how it is affecting you. There are so many variables that affect the way it impacts you.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Originally Posted by Wildman
A few years back, I had a layover and sat in the SkyClub. I had a few drinks and headed to the gate for the last flight of the day to my destination. I got on the plane and immediately fell asleep, woke up on landing and left the plane with no incidents. The next week I was flying again and went into the same SkyClub. The bartender looked at me and said something to the effect of "Hey buddy, you owe me one!" I was like what, did I not leave a big enough tip last time. I asked for him to explain. He said last week when you left here the gate agent called and wanted to know how many drinks I served you. I told them one. He said they were going to deny boarding to you. I was like wow....I had no idea that they was any problem. I know I didn't talk to anyone at the club or the gate. And no one said a thing to me when I boarded or when I deplaned.

To this day, the bartender and I still have a little fun with it. He asks me if I have given up drinking yet.....I respond maybe tomorrow. Not sure if what he told me is the truth, but I tend to believe him. I know I kept to myself, but I am sure the gate agent could tell that I had been drinking. I am sure the GAs FAs and SkyClub personnel have to deal with it.

One who has consumed alcohol is probably not the best judge of how it is affecting you. There are so many variables that affect the way it impacts you.
So moral of the story is, go to a SkyClub with a self service bar?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, Global Entry, Non-Rev
Unacceptable, definitely report to customer service.

Unfortunately service employees are told to use their judgement to assess if you have had too much to drink. This means some simply don't care while others might think one drink is too much.

This is true for FA's as well, as some want you to have "one drink, two max for a flight" while others keep it coming as long as they have stock.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Actually no. If OP “appears to be intoxicated” he should not have been allowed to board/fly.
that’s exactly what I said.....
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wildman

I don’t understand this. How did a connection between the bartender and the gate agent get established? How did they know your name and initiate this?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find it strange that a GA or redcoat was in an airport airside bar that allows smoking either before his work shift or in the middle of his working hours. If he wanted to smoke (and not drink), surely employees have places where they can go outside or to a designated smoking area. In the worst case, he could easily go landside during a break since airline employees don't go through TSA airport security and its long lines the way passengers do. Spending time in a smoking room would cause his clothes and hair to reek of smoke when dealing with customers and even if he wasn't drinking, it looks bad for airline employees to be in airport bars.

It also seems like an extraordinary random event that the same DL employee who was in the smoking bar at the same time as the OP was assigned to work the OP's flight. Alternatively (and the one hour comment seems to suggest this) he went out of his way to stick his nose into another flight's business and somehow managed to identify the OP. Did he secretly take the OP's photo in the bar? In fact, did the OP even state the route/destination/flight number in the bar? Assuming that the OP's appearance could not lead some random stranger to identify him instantly, it's hard to imagine how he was identified. If DL is tracking us much more than we're aware, I don't like it.

The "one beer more than I'm allowed" is an odd standard. I would have thought that a GA should not have even one beer before/during work, while I know nonrevs are routinely offered and served more than one drink on flights, assuming that they're not in uniform or deadheading etc., in which case they wouldn't be allowed to drink at all in uniform and would be expected to comply with all applicable rules on alcohol before working as a pilot or FA if they're deadheading but not in uniform.

Regarding the interaction with the pilot's wife during boarding, I'm assuming that OP had one of the seats in the center section and the divider was down. There's really no way to invade someone's space in D1 suites without standing and either leaning over the wall or jumping over it. It seems bizarre that someone could have been concerned about being disturbed in D1 unless they believe that there will be some arm wrestling over whether the divider stays up or down.
cmd320 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I believe that you were mistaken as a Delta pilot deadheading and subject to the unique guidelines of booze while aboard a flight
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I find it strange that a GA or redcoat was in an airport airside bar that allows smoking either before his work shift or in the middle of his working hours.
This is indeed the oddest part of the entire incident. Maybe if it were an Interflug flight one could understand the airline’s ground staff stalking passengers.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ND76
If Delta wants to have a consistent alcohol policy, they should post it as part of their T & C so that we can all know what it is.

I've noticed that a number of FAs will only serve one adult beverage during PDB times, even if there are significant delays. For example, a DCA=ATL flight I was on a couple of years ago got diverted to CHS, where we got stuck for about 3 hours. I was in F, and the FAs would not serve any adult beverages while we were on the ground in South Carolina. A few weeks ago, I was on a BHM-ATL flight, which ended up leaving 3 hours late. The FA would not serve a second PDB, despite the delay.

I once had a CHS-ATL flight where we ran out of vodka before departure, because the person in 1A asked for a vodka and fresca and literally every other person in first decided that sounded good. We then polished off all the gin and made good progress on the bourbon while holding around Athens. That was a great flight.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I believe that you were mistaken as a Delta pilot deadheading and subject to the unique guidelines of booze while aboard a flight
I agree. It's ludicrous to think that Delta has a policy that fare-paying passengers are only allowed one drink before getting on the plane.

It's also possible that talking to someone else about church politics made them mad and then they "punished" the OP for it.

Whichever one it is, Delta messed up and someone should be held accountable for this. Unfortunately that will not happen.
cmd320 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.