Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday

Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday

Old Dec 24, 19, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole question here is whether OP "appeared to be intoxicated" not whether he was intoxicated. That is why the blather about needing blood alcohol measurement devices, determining whether OP was a danger and so on are just that: blather.

More importantly, if one goes back and read the Rule, it is self-evident that no one staff member makes the decision and that the final call is made by the PIC who is required under the Rule to file a written report.

What happened here is likely the routine. OP "appeared intoxicated" to staff. OP reported to PIC. Confab ensues and OP is told he won't be served on the flight. Option to offload.

Never worth speculating about additional facts, but the entire OP is odd in that it describes in detail various social interactions, none of which are particularly relevant. Indeed, if all OP had to drink over the entire journey from STL were the two beers yet he "appeared intoxicated" this was handled correctly. In any event, if he was not intoxicated, the Rule is written to come down on the side of not serving.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Please report him by name. He needs to be terminated.
hahahaha at best they will be promoted, at worse nothing literally will happen if you complain.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:29 am
Suspended

Also based on this GA approach to alcohol consumption 99% of people on all LAS bound flights should be denied boarding
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:31 am
Suspended

Stories like this also remind me why I put on my headphones post TSA and engage with as few people as possible at airports. Sometimes it’s good to be anti social.
pbiflyer and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
But then.... he'll be back....
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:23 am

Surely every lounge bartender serves more than 1 drink to dozens of passengers a day. Lounges that give drink chits often include 2.

Either you can't hold your liquor, or more likely, there is something about the conversation that was overheard that someone didn't like.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Do you really think someone's livelihood should be affected that much over this incident?
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Iíd like to hear the other side of this story. I canít imagine the incident as reported, with the entire flight crew assembled in the galley, over a couple of beers.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:44 am

OP tried to order a few times after he was specifically told he wouldn't be served. That's a red flag to me. He also flew in from STL (in F?) and it is not a stretch to think OP drank on that flight as well.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
Do you really think someone's livelihood should be affected that much over this incident?
He should of thought about that before making these silly claims. Iím so sick of the airline employees acting like theyíre god and they abuse their power. Enough of this crap. Guy should get a box.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Delta75 View Post
He said I could either leave the plane or agree not to drink on this flight.

I didnít fight, I had to fly.

I did try and order and was always told they were out blah blah.
I am also slightly confused about this part. You say you had agreed to not drink on the flight but then tried several (?) times to order drinks on the flight?
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This is very troubling if true as presented. DL would be banning at least 10% of their customers if they applied this ďruleĒ
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:01 pm

As someone who twice this year had to uncomfortably sit next to someone who was visibly intoxicated, but didn't seem to believe it and insisted they only had 'two beers' before boarding, I feel like there is more to this story.
polarbears and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:05 pm

Taking OP at there word, this is obviously a case of little man, little power.

But, OP was smart to not argue the point as that only makes you look more "guilty" and they are not going to change their minds.

Would be interesting to see the followup, although I would assume the airline will back their employee 100%. (How can they not?)

As for the 1 drink rule, I would certainly push back on that at least to find out this is a policy. If OP was barred from drinking because they had two drinks before the flight, that might be cause for the airline to throw some points OP's way (assuming this is not a DL rule). As others have stated, if 1 drink is the limit, I would suspect most people in business class on an international flight would not be allowed to board! (AA used to hand out 2 drink certs... so that would put you over the "limit".)

It is a bit ridiculous for US based FA flight attendants to play drink police. Someone slurs their words, cut them off. Someone is clearly drunk, cut them off. Someone is loud/belligerent/etc, cut them off. Someone is just quietly enjoying some wine while watching a movie (or whatever) and wants a 3/4/5/6 glass on an international flight, let them enjoy it!
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:19 pm

What really happened

What really happened in this case is the Delta pilots wife texted her husband. “Sitting next to a guy who has alcohol or is drunk and invading my personal space “ or something similar. Could it have been a real fear ? Possibly...... Could it have been an attempt to get her husband's attention ? ......Possibly .....But the fact no one on this thread came to this conclusion is kind funny since you all are frequent flyers.
Old Hickory likes this.

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 24, 19 at 3:48 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: