Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday

Delta alcohol policy?? Strange incident yesterday

Old Dec 24, 19, 7:27 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
How strange. Isn't it the flight attendants discretion on who to serve? The bartender at the smoking lounge didn't think you were over served. (And you had 3 beers not the 2 the ga referenced) Could the fellow passenger you were talking with said something? Politics is always a touchy subject and maybe you offended the other person? ( or maybe offended the ga) Or maybe there was the appearance you were talking loud and excitedly since discussions can get heated and the ga incorrectly assumed your actions during your "debate" were that of an intoxicated person.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Delta75 View Post
only the gate agent spoke and he said....”I was in the smoking lounge with you and I heard your conversation and watched you drink 2 beers which is one over the limit I was allowed to drink before getting on the plane.
If everyone who had two beers at the airport was denied boarding, there'd be tumbleweeds in the gatehouses. There has to be more to this. AFAIK there is no policy anywhere on earth that says one beer, max, before flying.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
If someone is being disruptive they aren't given a second chance or options. He would have been removed.
I'd like to know how many drinks OP had all day, before presenting for boarding.
DiverDave and gooselee like this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
1) Tons of fliers drink way more than 1 beer before getting on a plane in lounges, airport bars, etc

2) The gate agent saying be “heard your conversation” suggests to me the GA heard something he didn’t like as opposed to it being purely alcohol. He was very likely unjustified in making that determination, but we can’t know 100% until we know what was said
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:49 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum
It's all about perception and potential situation avoidance. As we've read in many circumstances, anything that happens in a confined space with no immediate way to dissolve it becomes amplified (i.e. in a metal tube flying at 30-something thousand feet). We're in the holiday season; tempers are short and schedules are tight so no one wants a potential situation. The last thing an airline wants is to have to divert or have a media situation because of something that happened in the sky. I've seen a few instances where precautions were over-exaggerated but they're driving the bus so they can enforce those rules.

I was on a red-eye back from Phoenix to JFK years ago, after Super Bowl XLII. Let's just say the plane was filled with very vocal fans who were celebrating the Giant's win and rather than take any risks, while we were still at the gate the FA made an announcement that they wouldn't be serving any alcohol on the flight. She said they assumed that a few people might have had a few drinks already and that rather than risk a situation, they were taking that precaution. If anyone wanted to they could exit the plane and take another flight. No one complained and it was a quiet and peaceful flight.
choklit and NotHamSarnie like this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Please report him by name. He needs to be terminated.
Absolutely this should be reported. This is ridiculous and honestly kinda of creepy behavior on the part of someone who is supposed to be a professional.

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
1) Tons of fliers drink way more than 1 beer before getting on a plane in lounges, airport bars, etc

2) The gate agent saying be “heard your conversation” suggests to me the GA heard something he didn’t like as opposed to it being purely alcohol. He was very likely unjustified in making that determination, but we can’t know 100% until we know what was said
Exactly, if I'm in one of Delta's own SkyClubs before a flight, they will happily pour me considerably more than 2 drink of something stronger than beer. Sounds like complete shenanigans to me.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Seems to have followed standard US air carrier policy. This was not a decision of one employee, but rather the Captain who was advised by others. Don't focus on how many drinks you had over the course of the journey, but how your conduct might appear to others.

However framed to OP, the FAA rules (which apply here because DL is a US carrier) are that the passenger is not to be served if "he appears intoxicated." 14 CFR 3-3546.

The FAA rules require that the PIC and the relevant staff complete a written report, so there will already be one on file, whether OP complains or not.
Trying to be objective about the situation as possible, this sure seems like the most likely scenario. Emphasis added on what is probably the most relevant piece of everything here.

Given that there's a written report with at least one signed witness, I imagine a complaint from OP basically becomes...
  • Delta Employee: In my assessment, the pax was acting in a manner that indicated they were intoxicated.
  • OP: No I wasn't!
I can't imagine that getting very far. And indeed I'd imagine the Delta staff would probably get a compliment on erring on the side of precaution, etc.

one very apologetic and friendly FA grabbed me right before I exited and told me “sorry man but you should know we were aware an hour before boarding that this was happening”

I was still in the smoking lounge at that point.
If that's the case, I'd suppose something about how you were getting on in the lounge must have drawn someone's attention enough for them to take action.

Now I can't imagine anyone getting wrecked on 3 beers over 2 hours, so it's entirely possible someone misconstrued whatever the action/language/demeanor was. And that certainly sucks. But again, it becomes your word vs. theirs and the airline has to be as objective as possible.

Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Curious though; what are your options in such a case? Assuming you are under the alcohol limit (3 beers over 2 hours...) can you ask to get on the next flight?
In this specific case I think there's only one daily ATL-GIG so not much option there. Even if there were other flights, the possibility of a Delta One suite still being available...? Plus whatever else. I think the best option is just to take the flight.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
We have all witness intoxicated passengers on flights but typically, they walk on the plane already sauced vs. an event during flight pre-boarding. I won't speculate but is it possible your conversation of church & politics touched on sensitive or overly politically correct nerves which results in someone opposing your viewpoints feel they take responsibility of reporting you inaccurately intoxicated? E.g. If you reported you were certain religion or ethnicity I could say that was it (not claiming race card but the unique token in a room is sometimes observed more closely), but seems very strange 3 beers unless you guzzled within 30 minutes instead of 2 hrs would've caused such an outcome.
Unless, you are a naturally loud talker, was already drunk/hungover before your first flight, hard of hearing or had on headphones during part of your conversations this seems a bit intrusive.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
Trying to be objective about the situation as possible, this sure seems like the most likely scenario. Emphasis added on what is probably the most relevant piece of everything here.

Given that there's a written report with at least one signed witness, I imagine a complaint from OP basically becomes...
  • Delta Employee: In my assessment, the pax was acting in a manner that indicated they were intoxicated.
  • OP: No I wasn't!
I can't imagine that getting very far. And indeed I'd imagine the Delta staff would probably get a compliment on erring on the side of precaution, etc.
Strong agree. Even if OP was wronged, it will bubble up to corporate as he-said, she-said and when the pax assertion is "I was definitely not drunk!" it's not going to get anywhere productive.

That being said, I do find this ironic as I actually have to be a little careful with my drinking on Delta since their wine pours are something like 2+ standard drinks even for PDB
Old Dec 24, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM

i have my suspicions but will reserve and not publicly speculate.
I’m curious why you won’t speculate. This line makes it sound like you’re withholding part of the story here.
Old Dec 24, 19, 8:23 am

I would have two questions.

Did you have any drinks on your flight from St. Louis to Altanta and prior to that in St. Louis?

Do you have ANY idea on what he may have heard during your conversations, which may have made him believe you had too much to drink?
Old Dec 24, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta DM
Lol, I guess I have violated this Delta policy 56 times this year...
acrophobia likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Please report him by name. He needs to be terminated.
hahah what
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post

this is basically the only post in this thread after the OP that isn't just wild, reckless speculation and overreaction run amok (on both sides). I believe the OP but clearly there's some information we (including the OP, most likely) are missing here.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:09 am

i have my suspicions but will reserve and not publicly speculate.
then again, maybe OP is holding back some info
gooselee and defrosted like this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM; HH gold

one very apologetic and friendly FA grabbed me right before I exited and told me “sorry man but you should know we were aware an hour before boarding that this was happening”

I was still in the smoking lounge at that point.

does any of this make any sense at all?
How would a random GA that happens to be in the same lounge as you
a) pay so much to your (or anyone's for that matter) drinking habits (that's just creepy) unless you're somehow loud without realizing it,
b) know which flight you will be on and "pro-actively" set this whole thing in motion prior to boarding, and
c) proceed make up some BS rule about 1 drink before the flight? (what is an airport but a watering hole between one flight and the next?)

Did they think you were an off-duty DL employee or something? Not saying i don't believe you, but it indeed is a weird and creepy story. If you caught the GA's name, I would certainly report them. Stalking someone like that is downright rediculous IMO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: